Menu

Remind continuing college students to apply for departmental scholarships each year

Pegasus

DD has had very little luck being awarded scholarships, beyond the guaranteed ones from the state.  She was discouraged at the wasted effort and didn't want to pursue the possible departmental scholarships for continuing students that had an application due when she was busy with her academic coursework.  I prodded a bit and she ended up applying back in the January/February timeframe.

She was recently notified of receiving a very generous departmental scholarship for next year! It is good for one year only but she was encouraged to apply again for the following year. This scholarship, in combination with the ones from the state, will come close to covering the tuition & fees for fall and spring semesters. 

So, remind your very busy continuing college students to keep an eye on the scholarship application deadlines and squeeze in enough time to complete and submit it!

Pegasus

• Like 11

How does one find out about departmental scholarships? I've never seen them mentioned on my dds schools' websites, but maybe I'm not looking in the right places? Or should they talk to profs?

Congrats to your dd!

Ours are listed on the department website with links to the financial aid page. At my school, as long as you fill out the general scholarship application, you are considered for departmental scholarships. We only have one in our department that requires reapplication every semester and is done outside of the general application and students are reminded about it several times either via email or in class before the application deadline. 

How does one find out about departmental scholarships? I've never seen them mentioned on my dds schools' websites, but maybe I'm not looking in the right places? Or should they talk to profs?

Look at the department page, not the school/admissions page

talk to the undergraduate advisor of the department or the department chair.

In our dept, we have scholarships under "student opportunities" on the department website. Chair and undergrad advisor know about those. Regular faculty probably won't.

Edited by regentrude

Congrats to your dd!

I'm sure it varies tremendously between schools. At my DD's school, the departmental webpage has a link to Scholarships/Fellowships.  That page then lists the available scholarships by name (not amount). Students don't apply for specific scholarships as the scholarship committee matches students with available awards.  A link is provided from here to the University scholarship page. From there, a student has to click on yet another link for Continuing Undergraduates. Finally, dates are provided (application becomes available in early January and is due by early February) and a button on that page accesses the application.

I included all that detail not because it will be similar at your school but to demonstrate that there may be scholarships available but not easily accessible!  How many busy students give up after a few clicks?

Edited to add: The student could always inquire at the Dean's office as well about dept. scholarships for continuing students.

Edited by Pegasus