Menu

Tiner "Exploring" series + memoria supplement qu workbooks and tests

We enjoyed the History of Medicine book best of any of them. The books and workbooks aren't very exciting. But they were good for us at the times we used them. There is no hands on to them at all at least that I can remember. Maybe there was a suggestion somewhere, but I honestly don't remember any. So that came from other places for us. 

I do believe that MP has a set of lesson plans for them. I didn't have them. We just read through the book and did the questions together. We had the test booklet. We might have done some of them. It has been a few years, and I mainly used the books as reading for the girls to supplement other things we were doing. 

• Like 1

The attached file gives a MP Mom made lesson plan for completeing several Tiner books in 1 year. other than that, MP sells plans. Scroll down to Science. You will not be able to see sample plans.

https://www.memoriapress.com/curriculum/individual-lesson-plans-subject/

What's That Bird - Medicine - Planet - Astronomy.pdf

What's That Bird - Medicine - Planet - Astronomy.pdf

My DS11 used it last fall. It took about 1 semester to complete by doing roughly a chapter a week. I usually did the supplemental questions orally with him just so we could have some discussion about the material. Overall, we both enjoyed it. Im thinking of getting the Chemistry one as well.

ETA: I thought the book was a very interesting read. It discussed things such as dentistry work before anesthetic discovery, amputations, discovery of cleanliness during surgery helping with recovery...all kinds of fascinating and slightly gruesome things! :)

Edited by mmasc
  • Like 1

I think History of Medicine was our favorite too. My dd used that one in 5th. Her 7th grade year she did a strongly hands-on approach to science, and then in 8th she did several other Tiner books plus a science fair project. It was nice to have a break from all the hands-on she had done in 7th, so the Tiner series was a perfect fit in that way--we didn't mind the lack of projects. (And having a science fair project also gave her another hands-on outlet). She did about 1 book per quarter, and spent a quarter on her project.

HTH!

• Like 2

We are currently reading the Chemistry one as a read-aloud.  We do the supplemental questions orally and I make them do the quizzes and tests.  One of my boys loves to have a grade assigned to his work and it is easy to do with MC questions :-).  I have them all. 

• Like 1