Menu

Question regarding SAT2 subject tests and reg vs. honours

I need some Hive wisdom. :)

Would a regular chem course be expected to cover everything needed for the SAT2 Chemistry subject test?  Would an honours chem course be expected to?

Imo, the Chemistry SAT II is one of the most difficult SAT II's because it covers a ton of topics. 

The vast majority of kids take the Chemistry SAT II at the conclusion of AP Chemistry.  My kids take the SAT II the same month as they take the AP Chemistry exam and score very well.  I don't think they would score as highly if they would have taken the SAT II after one year of chemistry.  Obviously, ymmv.

• Like 7

Imo, the Chemistry SAT II is one of the most difficult SAT II's because it covers a ton of topics. 

The vast majority of kids take the Chemistry SAT II at the conclusion of AP Chemistry.  My kids take the SAT II the same month as they take the AP Chemistry exam and score very well.  I don't think they would score as highly if they would have taken the SAT II after one year of chemistry.  Obviously, ymmv.

Thanks, snowbeltmom!  Being Canadian, I don't have much experience with the SAT II tests and in my planning for the online chem course I'd like to offer, I was trying to figure out if I needed to set it up so that students would be prepared to write the Chem subject tests at the end. :)

• Like 2

Thanks, snowbeltmom!  Being Canadian, I don't have much experience with the SAT II tests and in my planning for the online chem course I'd like to offer, I was trying to figure out if I needed to set it up so that students would be prepared to write the Chem subject tests at the end. :)

The free website Sparknotes gives the list of topics tested on the Chemistry subject test.  If you did want your students to be prepared to take the SAT II Chemistry exam at the conclusion of your course, this website would be a good jumping off point.

• Like 3

The free website Sparknotes gives the list of topics tested on the Chemistry subject test.  If you did want your students to be prepared to take the SAT II Chemistry exam at the conclusion of your course, this website would be a good jumping off point.

Excellent - thanks! :)

I concur. In fact, after perusing the test prep book we decided to abandon the idea of the chem test because DD was not interested in chemistry enough to go this far. Looked pretty brutal to me.

Thus, I would not expecte a regular chemistry course to prepare a student for the SAT II in chemistry. The course may cover all topics that are on the test, but would probably not in depth.

Honors? Perhaps that would be a reasonable expectation.

• Like 2

I concur. In fact, after perusing the test prep book we decided to abandon the idea of the chem test because DD was not interested in chemistry enough to go this far. Looked pretty brutal to me.

Thus, I would not expecte a regular chemistry course to prepare a student for the SAT II in chemistry. The course may cover all topics that are on the test, but would probably not in depth.

Honors? Perhaps that would be a reasonable expectation.

:iagree:

Even with honors, I would have reservations.  My friend's son took the Chemistry SAT II after getting an extremely high A in his honors chemistry class at our public school: He scored in the 300s.....

• Like 1

:iagree:

Even with honors, I would have reservations.  My friend's son took the Chemistry SAT II after getting an extremely high A in his honors chemistry class at our public school: He scored in the 300s.....

I agree.  We have had friends whose kids had similar poor results taking the test after honors chem or "pre-ap chem" at private schools. 

• Like 1