Menu

Places like Great Wolf Lodge or...

Moxie

Moxie, are you anywhere near the one in the Poconos? There's a homeschool group that regularly runs mid-week trips at amazing prices. IMO, GWL is nowhere near worth $1000, but it's worth what you'd pay through a group deal if your kids are young. We went in December, brought our own food with the exception of one breakfast and one dinner, and kept a lid on extra spending, and we did pretty well cost-wise. 

Edited by ILiveInFlipFlops
  • Like 2

We went to that location a couple of years ago and had a wonderful experience.  I was shocked a few months later to read some of those horrible reviews online.  They did not resemble our experience at all.  We went in February and almost had the place to ourselves.  It was awesome!  Our room was very clean and the water park area was very clean as well. 

The only complaint I had was the fact that many of the areas were not open for stretches of time during the day because there were so few guests.  I had wondered if that might happen and specifically asked at the desk when we checked in if the concession stands or little shops would have more limited hours and was told that they would have their regular hours.  But there were a few times when we went somewhere only to find it had closed early  with no notice (concession stand in the water park) or that there was only one person running multiple little shops and basically just rotating between them.  In order for DD to get her stuffed animal we had to go to the main gift shop to ask them to open that little shop, and then when she wanted her free tattoo we had to find someone to open up the surf shop.  But for me that was a small thing and only annoying because I had specifically asked if that could be an issue and was told no. 

Overall we had a fabulous time and were sad to leave.  We would love to go back.

I've never paid the list price at GWL. Watch for specials and see if they fit your schedule.

Once I went on a special for smallest cheapest room, taking younger ds, DD a dd's friend. When we arrived both check in and check out were crowded. They didn't have any of that size room available. They put us in a two bedroom two bath suite with balcony and fireplace. It was pretty awesome. The girls were 13 at the time and got there own room in the suite and could come and go as they pleased without bothering or being bothered by little brother.

• Like 1

No, not worth that price. We paid $159 or so for rooms. Often. If you book one night they will offer you the second night at a discount if they aren't full. You do run the risk though of having to leave if they are full.

Food there is very expensive so we ordered out a pizza and brought breakfast foods and snacks.

We did the one in Michigan.

Never pay the list price.

I tried the coupon code listed above and it didn't work. I'll call them today and see if I can get a discount over the phone. Any other suggestions?

We've never paid full price either. Use a code or wait for a time you can find a deal.

We always have a great time.

They have done some great stuff, as far as accommodating our food allergies, too. We can order food for DS there.

One year we went at Halloween, and when we celebrate Halloween we have a Switch Witch - like Santa Claus - who comes and switches out our candy from ToT for a bag of safe candy and toys. GWL was sending a witch around to the rooms, to deliver candy, and I told them about our Switch Witch. They were so much fun! The girl doing the delivery pretended to be the Switch Witch, acted the part, and gave our kids their safe candy and treats. My son will never forget that he met the Switch Witch!

Have you signed up on the website? First do that... there will be some discounts in your account right away... check Groupon sometimes there's offers there for GWL. Compare the price to what you'd pay for a hotel plus 2 days of tickets to another waterpark.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

• Like 2

I tried the coupon code listed above and it didn't work. I'll call them today and see if I can get a discount over the phone. Any other suggestions?

Last time I went to a homeschool convention GWL had a booth set up. They were giving out information and a coupon code. At the time the code was HOME. It gave the biggest discounts. I think that we got a fancy room that could sleep 6, and upto 8 people for 250 a night. We did go on the least popular day of the year. Remembrance day, which that year happened to fall on a Wednesday. 

My friends usually get discounts through Groupon and go at less popular times. I've never been but I know of a couple families who have been to that location multiple times. I have no idea if $755 is a good deal or not though.

Last time I went to a homeschool convention GWL had a booth set up. They were giving out information and a coupon code. At the time the code was HOME. It gave the biggest discounts. I think that we got a fancy room that could sleep 6, and upto 8 people for 250 a night. We did go on the least popular day of the year. Remembrance day, which that year happened to fall on a Wednesday.

Thanks!! That code works. I'm not a member of any homeschool organization; can I still use it without proof we homeschool?

Heck, no, it's not worth $1000 for 2 days! We've been to that location a few times and had a really good time, but paid nothing close to that and had a big room for 6-7 people. We liked to go off season, midweek, and during their homeschool specials. They usually have them around Feb and maybe Sept or Nov. I think we paid $99 a night for the big rooms. 

If I couldn't go during the homeschool week or maybe with a slightly higher groupon price, I wouldn't go. It's really not worth the money. Also, I would never go during the summer or on a weekend. It's no fun when it's crowded. No fun at all. A couple of times we scheduled one of our trips to end on a Fri/Sat or begin on a Sun and we regretted it. Not worth it. It's amazing fun when you have the park practically to yourself and only paid $99 for a big lodge room. 

We've been to GWL in Mason (and used to live within 15 minutes of there).  We went off season also and it wasn't too crowded, but I don't remember how much we paid.  It was very nice - I don't remember it being dirty or run down at all.

There are a TON of restaurants/grocery stores/shops just a few miles away on 275.  We ate there and broght our own groceries in to save money.  

It isn't in the area, but we have gone to Wilderness in the Smokies several times and LOVE it.  It is dfinitely cheaper than GWL and has pretty much the same to offer.

I've never paid more than $150 for a GWL room and have a couple of times paid less than $100. Very worth it at that price though. We've been to the one at Niagara and the one in Williamsburg and both were great.

But how many people was that for? We have to stay in one of the big rooms.

Ok, I called. Does $755 for 7 people, 2 nights sound like the cheapest rate? That includes $150 in taxes and fees 🙄.

For  that many people, yes.

My question is, do you really want to stay 2 nights? You can do one night by checking in on Day 1 at around 1:00, play all day and then sleep, check out the next day at 11, but then you can still stay at the waterpark until it closes that night. We stayed 2 nights several years ago and even my kids were like, "Never again."

• Like 2

But how many people was that for? We have to stay in one of the big rooms.

Oh, true. Just a four person room. And other than when they used to do the crazy homeschool deals (they used to do ALL the rooms at $99 during homeschool days), we always just get a basic room and not one of the fancy "cabin" or "cave" ones.

I routinely get "from $139" type emails from them and there's always at least once or twice in the off season that I get a "from $99" email - it might make the most sense to get two rooms, depending on the rates. I'm not sure.

At $700....I would say that is about average for a decent deal.  That is just under $300/day for a hotel room and activities for seven people for 2 days!  

For us, I wouldn't book 2 days.  Depending on what time you get there, you have all of the first day and most of the second day to swim.  By then, my kids would be done with it all. But honestly, a hotel room for 7 people for $300 isn't that bad in our area so I might just stay to avoid changing locations. DD18 was a preteen when we went, and she did the scavenger hunt, stuffed bear, story times etc.  We split the room with another mom/daughter combo and it was about $150 for my portion of the bill for one night and activities.

• Like 1

Does that work at all locations?

Yes groupon has deals for them sometimes.   

We've been to GWL in Mason (and used to live within 15 minutes of there).  We went off season also and it wasn't too crowded, but I don't remember how much we paid.  It was very nice - I don't remember it being dirty or run down at all.

There are a TON of restaurants/grocery stores/shops just a few miles away on 275.  We ate there and broght our own groceries in to save money.  

It isn't in the area, but we have gone to Wilderness in the Smokies several times and LOVE it.  It is dfinitely cheaper than GWL and has pretty much the same to offer.

Love the Wilderness

You can buy stays there off Ebay.   Saves tons and tons of money.  Gotten some amazing deals that way.   

• Like 1

At $700....I would say that is about average for a decent deal. That is just under $300/day for a hotel room and activities for seven people for 2 days!

For us, I wouldn't book 2 days. Depending on what time you get there, you have all of the first day and most of the second day to swim. By then, my kids would be done with it all. But honestly, a hotel room for 7 people for $300 isn't that bad in our area so I might just stay to avoid changing locations. DD18 was a preteen when we went, and she did the scavenger hunt, stuffed bear, story times etc. We split the room with another mom/daughter combo and it was about $150 for my portion of the bill for one night and activities.

We'll be in that area and have to stay somewhere.

Five kids are expensive, yo.

We used to go to the one in Sandusky. I haven't been in a while, but we found it much less crowded than the one in the Poconos, which we are much closer to. It was very clean at that time, and we always got great deals. I miss those days!! We used to go with my sister and her daughter, and get the suite that has a bedroom upstairs, with 2 queen beds and a pullout downstairs. 

Thanks!! That code works. I'm not a member of any homeschool organization; can I still use it without proof we homeschool?

They have never asked me for proof. I was told to bring some curriculum with you if you are unsure, and that is enough proof. 

I know the coupon, if it does work has some restrictions. For example I think it can only ever work Monday to Thursday, or something like that. 

We love GWL but definitely not worth that price. We either book with the HEROES discount (my husband is retired military) or use a midweek special arranged through our local homeschool group. I don't think we've paid more than $159. I would go as high as $250 if it was a week we really wanted to go, but $1000 for 2 nights is insane. Even without a discount you can get some good midweek deals in September. Plus not as crowded!

• Like 1