Menu

Your favorite board/card game for 2--the second person being a 10-12yo?

6packofun

Any of the games in the mancala, chess, or checkers families are adapted nicely for two players, also, there's Hex (edit: and go). Does he like strategy more or luck?

Not sure, but he did tell me he likes there to be a mystery and/or guessing involved.  lol  We have a couple versions of Clue.  A cooperative type game would also be nice, but not necessary.  He's easily frustrated but I'm ok with him learning how to handle that through a one-on-one game with me!

DH researched two-player games for us for Christmas. We love Carcasonne (2-4 players) and my in-laws loved it so much after playing it with us that they bought their own. We also bought Hive and...something else - I'll have to look it up. We haven't played those yet.

My youngest was really into Carcassonne at about 10-11. It was great because the two of us could play it together, and it wasn't a super long time suck for me--it's about a 30-45 minute game. I also like Ticket to Ride, but he never really got into that one.

Another game we have played a lot is Bonkers, which is vintage from the late 70s. I had it as a kid and loved it--it's simple and really pretty mindless. Found it in perfect condition at a thrift store and played it a lot with youngest.

• Like 2

My son is obsessed with monopoly right now! We've not been playing many games lately so I think I need to start pulling them out more often.

My ds loved Monopoly for a while. We got Make Your Own Opoly from Rainbow Resource. Ds has such a great time making his own game that we got a second Make Your Own, lol.

He also loved the Monopoly Deal card game.

https://www.amazon.com/Hasbro-HSB01723-Monopoly-Deal-Card/dp/B00G7S4V54/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1499865780&sr=8-2&keywords=monopoly+card+game

Fwiw, this is shorter than regular Monopoly, great if you like Monopoly. Like regular Monopoly, ds won, I lost. Always. Not a good game with just 2 people, imo.

Edited by Alessandra
  • Like 1

Card games:

Sleeping Queens

Phase 10

Uno

Munchkin

Mythmatical Battles

Pokemon

Magic: The Gathering

traditional deck card games:

Crazy 8's

Hearts

War

Go fish

poker (for pennies or random tokens)

Board games:

Battleship

checkers

chess

backgammon

chinese checkers

connect 4

mancala

sequence

sorry

Payday

Game of Life

Monopoly

Risk

Any kind of trivia game

Cadoo

quirkle

• Like 1

I need something for ds11 and I to play.  His siblings are older and don't always have the time or desire to play, plus ds can be crabby during games so I'd like to find something for just the two of us.  Thanks!

Fluxx

My 9 year old son loves Sushi Go

Skip-Bo

Dominion works great for 2 players -- remember to use the 2 player rules or the game goes on a LOT longer.

Rummikub works great for two people

Edited by vonfirmath
  • Like 2

Right now we are playing Labyrinth and really enjoying it.

I LOVE this game.  I think ds is played out; I should probably just see what Ravensburger games there are.  We used to love playing Whoowasit? on the iPad and I found out there is a Ravensburger board game, too, just not in print anymore I don't think.