Menu

Did you leave Math U See before Pre Algebra or Algebra? Please share your story....

DD12 has done Math U See since Alpha and is currently on lesson 12 of Zeta.

The curriculum hasn't been working for her since early/mid Epsilon in the way it explains new concepts and the amount of review it provides.

I feel that I should at least consider moving on to something else but I feel conflicted about leaving because it's so hard to leave MUS with its particular scope and sequence!  

I haven't decided yet. Just need to hear some success stories. 

Why did you leave? How did you leave? And what did you go to? 

We left after pre-algebra.  While the alphabet series worked well for my kid, we found ourselves supplementing more and decided to move to AoPS.  MUS had given him a great background, but I didn't like how the high school books were written.  I honestly think we could have moved to any pre-algebra and been fine.  The move to AoPS was a little bit of a shock for him: he had been used to math being gently instructed with bite sized pieces.  AoPS was like throwing him in the deep end and teaching him to swim.  He did well with it after the shock wore off, but it's not something I would encourage others to do.

• Like 1

I definitely want to listen in on this one. I have one of my 3 kiddos doing MUS. He is only in Beta but he did Alpha and it is working so well for him. He just loves it. We have Gamma on the shelf and he lovingly pulls it down to flip through the pages. He is a riot.

My other two students are both doing 2 different math programs simultaneously. They are mathy kids. I haven't done that with my MUS guy because I didn't want to overwhelm him but I am concerned about the transition down the road. I picked up the Pre-Algebra Chalk Dust set with DVDs recently from a homeschool sale and think I will probably end up using it. I just don't know how well MUS could transition to something like CD. I will be interested to hear how others have handled this.

• Like 1

I started with Alpha and loved the way it taught place value, and thought I would love how it taught addition and subtraction but I didn't.  It just didn't click well with my child,  and I also wanted something with a clearer script for me (without having to watch videos or transcribe it into a step by step thing myself, since it has a lot of explanation mixed in with the "do this."  I wanted something more like "All About Spelling" - very simple straightforward script and any extra info in sidebars.)   I moved on to Addition Facts that Stick and Subtraction Facts that Stick which is more games based and my child is really responding well to it.   We are moving back and forth between the addition and subtraction books which I think is helping better too...him learning those in a more overlapping way.

I plan to switch to Right Start math after that because it continues using games and sounds like something that would fit our needs better than Math U See.

Edited by goldenecho
  • Like 2

I started with Alpha for my dyscalculic DD.  She had great success with it, where she struggled considerably with Singapore.  She completed all of Alpha, all of Beta, and half of Gamma.  I also used Alpha with one of my boys, IN ADDITION to Singapore.  Actually, I used it a bit with two of my boys, to establish a solid foundation in parts and wholes.  

Why did we leave it behind?  

I hated it...lol.  It's such a light math program, with very little depth.  It was PERFECT for my daughter because she really needed the incremental approach MUS provides.  But once we hit multiplication of 3+ digit numbers, Mr. Demme's approach confused the heck out of her.  And me.  So I did some Math Mammoth with her and then rolled her back to Singapore 2, at which point she was much better able to keep up and begin learning math CONCEPTUALLY.  

Now..my best friend used MUS with her child (a student with no learning disabilities), from Alpha through Delta...or maybe the level after Delta, not sure.  Anyways, she pulled her kid out of it because her kid tanked on Standardized tests.  Partly because she does not test well, partly because she had no experience with math terminology outside of the terminology MUS used (and thus, was confused), and partly because she had not yet covered all of the material on the test, due to MUS' unusual S&S.  

She has since pulled her daughter and put her in Math Mammoth.  

• Like 1

My high school student did Alpha through Algebra I before transitioning into 8th grade public school. 

He "passed" Algebra I on his placement test, but it was close. Due to MUS's reputation for being "light" the school recommended we put him in pre-Algebra for 8th grade. A few weeks in we realized that he had the concepts down just fine, it was the terminology that caused him trouble on the placement exam. Mr. Demme's terminology didn't always align with 'standard' terminology. Or my son just forgot the terms. Probably both. He was bumped up for the second quarter when he was found tutoring the Alg 1 kids at lunch. 

This student returned home for high school, and dual-enrolled in math classes at our local state u. On his own, he requested to continue with the MUS sequence. So for Geometry, Alg 2, and Pre-Calc he did the fall semester at college and then the spring semester at home working through MUS. He took the MUS tests, and for any concept he earned less than 90 he completed the lesson. Again, he decided and did this on his own. 

He is not a mathy kid. He used to fight MUS ... crying, screaming, outright refusal, even cheating by sneaking the TM. Once he got to 8th grade public school, he realized MUS wasn't so bad. He says public school taught him math shortcuts, but MUS taught him the how/why. He's a kid who needs that. Not all do. He took the PSAT three times, never with a calculator. His lowest math score was 710. His math grades at college were "B"s, so it's not like he was a math genius. 

I had planned to drop MUS for Lials. I had concerns about MUS in high school. This son requested dual enrollment so we went with that instead. Our journey back to MUS surprised both of us. I'm still unsure if I trust it as a standalone for high school, but I'm glad I didn't discard it entirely. I'm holding onto the high school levels to use with my younger kids, even if only as a supplement. 

• Like 3

I used MUS from Alpha-Delta with my middle child, then moved her to Horizons when she needed a second run-through of long division. I would put her back in MUS in a heartbeat (Mr. Demme teaches math in a way that she understands), but she doesn't like the plain pages. It kills her soul a little to see a plain white page with nothing but math problems on it, lol. She needs lots of color and pictures to distract her from the math on the page.

• Like 1