Menu

Bored with Math Mammoth

Eldest is 8 almost 9 and we start Math Mammoth at the very beginning when he was 5. We are halfway through grade three. Middle has started and is about a quarter of the way through first. It was my get it down subject, just do the next page or pages and it always got done. But sometime in the spring we just stopped. It wasn't getting done. We got through the multiplication and Eldest didn't really have any level of mastery over the facts. We moved into the other things like measurements but were just bored.

I pick up the kumon multiplication workbook and their measurement workbook and Eldest does a page each day happily. That and a half hour of prodigy math every other day. He is currently using them as review, not learning new stuff.

But I'm wondering where do i go once he finishes the two workbooks. Do i get more kumon workbooks (i feel it's not as thorough as math mammoth), do we go back to math mammoth (but the thought of going back kind of makes me cry), or try something completely new (open to suggestions: ideally i'd like a five-ten minute mom led lesson with some guided problems with a page or so of independent practice)

And then there is Middle who would love a cut and paste format math curriculum lol.

If you own the MM, I would tend to keep it, and just take a break here and there to do something else.

I think with many programs that are long-term, you will get a little bored after a while, or that you need something extra for a particular topic or student.  So, you might still find the same problem if you switch programs.

I'd also say, some kids need to just carry on practicing muliplication tables while doing other things, because it will take years of repitition before they have them down.

We/I like but tend to get bored with Math Mammoth too, and so we tend to cycle between it and Math in Focus.    You can spend some time going through the textbook with your child and then use the workbooks for independent practice on what you just discussed.  I found almost new used textbooks on Amazon for very cheap (this was a couple years ago, not sure of current status), and get the workbooks from Rainbow Resource.

We're in the middle of MM 3 and you're right, that measurement chapter is a slog. We often start to get antsy in the middle of those Measurement/Time/Money chapters. Treating those 3 chapters as one unit and looping through them (a Measurement lesson on day 1, a Time lesson on day 2, etc) has made them all more palatable by giving us a bit more variety :-)

• Like 2

DS12 got bored with MM too, after using it for about 4 years.  Prior we had used Singapore Primary Math and dabbled in MUS (between K-2).  DS now uses TT and loves it.  We didn't want to break from MM and go back to it, it was tear inducing for DS and he began to dread math each day, we wanted to leave MM altogether.  It wasn't that he couldn't do it, he is quite proficient with math, its that he loathed MM eventually.  So we switched.