Menu

Tapestry of Grace

Coco_Clark

I'm all set for next year with my usual eclectic mix of this and that...

But as I add more (and more!) students and the oldest get older and more in need of depth while the youngest remain little I begin to wonder...would a box simplify things?

In the beginning creating the wheel every year was fun, it's still fun at times I suppose but I'm increasingly interested in cutting corners.

Tapestry appeals to me for several reasons. It seems like it's well organized which speaks to my type A love of a graph, it's literature based which is how I already teach, it assumes multiple ages/levels which is quickly becoming my reality.

Has anyone used it? Thoughts? Do you just add math/science? I guess I'd also need spelling and Latin... which brings me back to the main question at hand. Does it simplify your life? Or nah?

It simplifies my life to have everyone on the same history cycle.  It simplifies my life when it's busy and I don't have time to read everyone's books while allowing me to have meaningful discussions from the teacher's notes.  It simplifies my life because I have no problem picking and choosing from the buffet. :)  For me, TOG is history and literature.  

• Like 1

I thought I would love it for all those reasons, but it just didn't click with me.  I would say try the three week sample and see how that feels.  Then I would buy 1 unit (9 weeks worth) and try that.  You'll know by the end of that if it's what you want or if you like your homemade plans better.  

• Like 1

I agree with Another Lynn. You may love it! You may want to do it with just the olders. It may just not work for you. So take a test drive.

I personally ended up still spending the same amount of time planning. And I still ended up prereading many of the books. I will admit I did not know enough about literature analysis to be able to implement this without extra help.

Kristen

:We are going into our 6th year of using Tapestry, and I tend to have a love-dislike relationship with it. :)

I try to switch from it every year because it is so teacher-intensive for me, but there is absolutely nothing I've found that will keep us all on the same period of history while providing so many resources for me as the teacher.

Part of the reason it's so intensive for me is because I had a pretty horrible public school education.  My history and writing classes were non-existent.  So I'm very behind in every aspect of homeschooling history and writing and literature.

This might not be the case for you and you might not have to read every sentence of the Teacher's Notes.  (Oh the TNs! I LOVE them for helping me have a conversation with my D student.)

What I love about it: how well it's organized, the Teacher's Notes, that all of the books are laid out by stage, there's extras if I want them, we're all on the same time period of history.

What I find hard: the PLANNING, figuring out what to use and not use (that buffet of learning is a blessing and a curse!!).

There's the free 3 week sample, but I'd personally buy a 9-week unit so I could wrap my brain around it.  

Lauren

Another piece of advice, depending on your style, the DE version alone didn't make enough sense to me, to many pages to go through.  I'd either print the sample, or purchase that first nine week unit so that you can resell it if it doesn't work for you.  I needed the pages in front of me to flip through.  YMMV.  If you feel the need to check every box, for every child, every week, then it might not be the program for you. ;)  I posted on another thread about it, but there is a blog post on their FB pages about how people use, and don't use TOG to make it work for them. 

Edited by melmichigan