Menu

Handwriting for K - Zaner Bloser

cwalker09

I am a first time homeschooler and will be using the Zaner Bloser handwriting book. I did not purchase the teacher edition because the WTM book said it wasn't necessary. Does anyone have an idea of how to pace through the book or just how to pace through handwriting in general. Like should I do 1 letter and one number a week. or just one letter a week, or multiple letters per week etc. 

Also, I saw on another forum where someone mentioned being able to print items off the Zaner Bloser website directly... can anyone tell me how to do that? I have purchased the student addition book, but I understand there are other helpful practice materials available.

Anytime I van get resources for free, I am pretty excited. 

• 2 weeks later...

I used this many years ago I wouldn't stress over finishing a page a day since he is in Kindergarten. But use it as a guide and focus more on correct form and try to get him do several well...not just trying to get the page done. Depending on where he is at and his stability you can also do other things to get the form down before writing like write in the air until he has the form down and then use his pencil so he is not too tired out and does his best.

• Like 1

I was in the exactly the same boat a few years ago with the ZB student book. I didn't know how to teach the strokes and letters in an order that made sense, and my DD was frustrated with struggling to form difficult letters before practicing the strokes for simpler ones, because of the order of the letters in the student book. I went looking for some instructions that would tell me how to teach things in order, and didn't find it. (IIRC, the ZB teacher book is designed for a classroom and is very expensive, so I didn't buy it either.)

Thankfully, I came across Delightful Handwriting from Simply Charlotte Mason. It uses the ZB font and it was exactly what I was looking for, because it starts with the easiest strokes and letters and progresses to the most difficult. And it gives very helpful and detailed instructions to the teacher. It made a world of difference - no more frustration for either of us.

You'd need both the teacher book and the student book. I bought the pdf version so I could use it with all three of my children.

HTH!