Menu

Please help me shop for fun drawing and writing supplies

meena

I'm looking for recommendations for drawing and writing tools that are fun, quirky, unique, or even just helpful. This is for a gift for a teen girl. She already has a bunch of Sharpies and basic pencils and drawing pads. She likes kawaii style drawing but is also trying to learn more realistic techniques. She likes hand lettering and has a book on the subject but doesn't like scrapbooking or that type of activity. She has a couple of the coloring books that are popular right now but favors drawing and coloring her own art over those.

Thank you in advance for suggestions!

Watercolor sticks or even more fun watercolor crystals. They shake out of a shaker and make for pretty fill or backdrop.

:iagree:

I know there are a few different brands and types of powder/crystal watercolors, but I'll put in a plug for Brusho. It is so much fun to work with, and there are lots of YouTube videos on what it is and how to use it. I would also recommend a DVD called Brusho Secrets, but the YouTube videos might work just as well and they're free! :)

Watercolor sticks are great, too, as are Inktense sticks.

(Edited for typo!)

Edited by Catwoman

I'm currently enjoying the earlier version of this book Paint This Book!: Watercolor for the Artistically Undiscovered by Thacher Hurd.  It's a Klutz book that comes with a watercolor set.

Here's the description:

"Put the brush in your hand. Stick it in the water, then smush it around in one of the colors. Now take a deep breath and plop it down on the page . . .

You’re an artist.

Yes, really! Young or old, there is an artist in each of us. If yours is hiding (perhaps behind a shred of self-consciousness?), just remember: Art is personal expression. You have your talent. Nobody else has anything like it!

If you are ready to discover (or re-discover) your genius, Paint This Book! is here to help. The paints, the brush, and the watercolor paper are all included—plus irresistible encouragement and exercises from authors John Cassidy and Thacher Hurd:
  • Work small: Quick, spontaneous strokes will happen more naturally.
  • Trust your instincts: Watercolor can turn to mush with a lot of revision. You’re better than you think you are!
  • Choose your techniques: You’ll learn about light and shadow (page 43), perspective (page 51), and more. But it’s up to you whether to use these skills often, or never! Either way, there are many artists who do the same.

Don’t forget: Sometimes a shimmer of color on the page can look even fruitier than a realbowl of fruit. Between these covers, there are no mistakes. Just add imagination (and water)!"

My daughter used this book for a home based drawing class ~  Drawing on the Right Side of the Brain Workbook: The Definitive, Updated 2nd Edition  by Betty Edwards.

This one has a more serious vibe.  Here's the description:

"A fully revised and updated edition of the essential companion to Drawing on the Right Side of the Brain--over half of the exercises are new!

Millions of people around the world have learned to draw using the methods outlined in Dr. Betty Edwards’s groundbreaking Drawing on the Right Side of the Brain. In this workbook, the essential companion to her international bestseller, Edwards offers readers the key to truly mastering the art of drawing: guided practice in the five foundational skills of drawing.

Each of the forty carefully constructed exercises in this updated second edition is accompanied by brief instruction, sample drawings, ready made formats and blank pages on which to draw, and helpful post-exercise pointers. You will explore wide-ranging subject matter—still life, landscape, imaginative drawing, portraits, and the figure—and gain experience with various mediums, such as pen and ink, charcoal, and Conte crayon.

Learning to draw is very much like mastering a sport or a musical instrument: once you understand the basic skills, you must practice, practice, practice. This brilliantly designed and practical workbook from a world-renowned art teacher offers the perfect opportunity to improve your skills and expand your repertoire."

Regards,

Kareni