Menu

Upcoming 9th grader - help with curriculum

My 14 year old daughter will be starting 9th grade soon. I am lost at which curriculum to use for her. Here is some info:

-not very motivated to learn new things

-lazy when it comes to critical thinking and math

-loves to read

-loves horses

-writes and draws well

-easily distracted

-has a hard time understanding new concepts like math, visual learner, must see it and do it to learn it

Any suggestions? We tried BJU and hated it. So please don't suggestions that!! :-)

What level math do you need?

Are you looking for a single provider?

What science and history are you planning to do?

Does she need grammar instruction?

Do you want to coordinate literature with your history course?

Welcome to planning for high school!

To start, you may want to look at some of the threads of "making a high school plan" or "planning" in the big pinned thread on "Starting High School..." at the top of the high school board. I posted a "quick start" to making a high school plan in post #2 of "High school curriculum: where do I start?"

In planning each year of your high school, it's very helpful to think in "big picture" terms of keeping as many doors open for your student's future as possible -- and that is usually best done by completing certain credits (coursework) in order to meet high school graduation requirements, and to meet the list of credits needed for college admission. (Even if you don't think your student will go to a university, if at all possible, it's really helpful to have a "college prep" set of credits -- just in case! SOOO many students change their minds in 12th grade -- or within a year or two of graduating high school, and if they have college prep credits, they don't have to waste any time in changing their minds. ? )

That usually looks something like this:

4 credits = English (usually 1/2 Literature and 1/2 Writing, but there are other options, too)
3-4 credits = Math (usually Alg. 1, Geometry, and Alg. 2, and some colleges want a 4th math above Alg. 2)
3-4 credits = Science, with labs (some colleges want Biology and Chemistry, but most don't stipulate)
3-4 credits = Social Studies (most colleges want 1 credit = Amer. Hist., and some want 0.5 credit each = Econ & Gov't, or 1 credit = World History or Geography)
2-4 credits = Foreign Language (same language)
1 credit = Fine Arts
4-8+ credits = Electives (examples: Logic, Computer, Health, PE, Home Ec, Bible/Religious Studies, Vocational-Tech courses, Academic Electives (additional credits in first 5 subjects above that are beyond the required credits), additional Fine Arts, credits in personal interest areas, etc.)
22-28+ credits* = total (about 5-7 credits per year)

* = 1 credit is a course that typically takes 1 year of high school to complete, at the rate of about 1 hour/day for 4-5 days/week for a 36-week school year

HOW you accomplish these credits is totally up to you and your DD, which allows you LOTS of freedom in choosing curricula that best fits her learning style, and also meets her interests. ?

From your description of DD, it sounds like she may be a visual-spatial learner, with an interest in Fine Arts/Literature, rather than a STEM (Science Technology Engineering Math) interest. You've listed some of her interests. What are some of her goals? Any thoughts about particular occupations, or colleges, of interest? Any extracurriculars she is interested in? What goals do YOU want to see accomplished in this rapidly-shrinking window of opportunity before she graduates?

Based on your post, it looks to me that a very do-able 9th grade would be:
1 credit = English
1 credit = Math
1 credit = Science
1 credit = Social Studies
1 credit = Fine Arts
1 credit = Elective
6 credits = total (so, about 5-6 hours of work a day, 4-5 days a week)

Getting more specific:

English
Since DD loves to read, it will probably be pretty easy to find a Lit (or Lit + Writing) program that she would like. ? Can you share more about what kind of literature she likes or would like to study? How much formal analysis has she done in middle school? Where is she in her writing? Does she need work on essay writing? You mentioned she enjoys writing -- would she enjoy a credit in creative writing or journalism? Lots of options, so we need to know more to know how to suggest here. ?

Math
What level did DD complete in 8th grade (middle school math? pre-algebra? algebra?) -- And do you feel she needs to repeat that level to lay a good foundation, or is she ready to move to the next level of math? Some math programs that often "click" for visual-spatial learners:
- Teaching Textbooks
- Math-U-See
- Kinetic Textbooks
- Life of Fred
- Lial's Basic College Mathematics (don't be put off by the title)

Science
What science did DD complete in 8th grade? (General Science? Physical Science? Biology? a subject of personal interest?) For example, if wanting to do a gentle science in 9th grade, what about something like Rainbow Science -- do both year 1 AND year 2 in 9th for a credit of Physical Science.

If she's not planning on a STEM-based occupation that would need the traditional Biology, Chemistry, Physics courses, she can look in to alternative sciences that are of interest, and you can choose materials for labs to fulfill credit requirements -- other science topics include things like Astronomy, Earth Science, Horticulture or Botany, Environmental Science, Ecology, Marine Biology, Meteorology, etc.

Social Studies
Knowing that you'll likely need to do 1 year of American History somewhere in high school, think about what History/Geography you've done most recently, or haven't yet gotten to and pick a time period that DD would enjoy that isn't repeating what you just did. Or, go for another Social Studies topic entirely that she would enjoy: Archeology, Anthropology, Sociology, Psychology, Political Science, Philosophy, Geography, Economics, Government... Once you and DD settle on an area of study for Social Studies, we can help you come up with video-based lectures or more visual options for study.

Foreign Language
At some point, you'll need to get at least 2 credits of a foreign language in there. Has DD been studying a language (Latin, German, Spanish, French, Japanese, etc.) in middle school? Then maybe this would be a good year to keep going with the momentum and complete a year of that foreign language at a high school level. If she has not been doing a language, or is not interested at this time, then you can put off starting this for a year or two. One option for getting 2 credits in one year would be dual enrollment/dual credit at your local community college or university (1 semester college course = 1 YEAR high school).

Fine Arts
Sounds like that will be pretty easy to cover with a curriculum, series of lessons, a local teacher, or other more formal option, as she enjoys drawing.

Electives
What about a credit in Horse (Equine) Studies?

One last thought: 
If your DD likes the Anne of Green Gables books, you might want to look into using the unit study of Where the Brook and River Meet. I can't get a good handle on how you would assign credit(s) for it, but it would likely cover your English credit, and possible a partial credit in each of Social Studies: History, Elective: Bible Study, and/or Fine Arts. See past posts by 8FillTheHeart ("x-post: Beautiful Autumn metaphor/personification example" and "Anne of Green Gables Study Guide") for a little more on what the program is like -- she adapted it for use with a middle school DD however, and did not assign high school credit, but is very savvy about what makes a high school credit.

Again, welcome to planning for high school! Warmest regards, Lori D.

Edited by Lori D.
  • Like 2

Welcome to planning for high school!

To start, you may want to look at some of the threads of "making a high school plan" or "planning" in the big pinned thread on "Starting High School..." at the top of the high school board. I posted a "quick start" to making a high school plan in post #2 of "High school curriculum: where do I start?"

In planning each year of your high school, it's very helpful to think in "big picture" terms of keeping as many doors open for your student's future as possible -- and that is usually best done by completing certain credits (coursework) in order to meet high school graduation requirements, and to meet the list of credits needed for college admission. (Even if you don't think your student will go to a university, if at all possible, it's really helpful to have a "college prep" set of credits -- just in case! SOOO many students change their minds in 12th grade -- or within a year or two of graduating high school, and if they have college prep credits, they don't have to waste any time in changing their minds. ;) )

That usually looks something like this:

4 credits = English (usually 1/2 Literature and 1/2 Writing, but there are other options, too)

3-4 credits = Math (usually Alg. 1, Geometry, and Alg. 2, and some colleges want a 4th math above Alg. 2)

3-4 credits = Science, with labs (some colleges want Biology and Chemistry, but most don't stipulate)

3-4 credits = Social Studies (most colleges want 1 credit = Amer. Hist., and some want 0.5 credit each = Econ & Gov't, or 1 credit = World History or Geography)

2-4 credits = Foreign Language (same language)

1 credit = Fine Arts

4-8+ credits = Electives (examples: Logic, Computer, Health, PE, Home Ec, Bible/Religious Studies, Vocational-Tech courses, Academic Electives (additional credits in first 5 subjects above that are beyond the required credits), additional Fine Arts, credits in personal interest areas, etc.)

22-28+ credits* = total (about 5-7 credits per year)

* = 1 credit is a course that typically takes 1 year of high school to complete, at the rate of about 1 hour/day for 4-5 days/week for a 36-week school year

HOW you accomplish these credits is totally up to you and your DD, which allows you LOTS of freedom in choosing curricula that best fits her learning style, and also meets her interests. :)

From your description of DD, it sounds like she may be a visual-spatial learner, with an interest in Fine Arts/Literature, rather than a STEM (Science Technology Engineering Math) interest. You've listed some of her interests. What are some of her goals? Any thoughts about particular occupations, or colleges, of interest? Any extracurriculars she is interested in? What goals do YOU want to see accomplished in this rapidly-shrinking window of opportunity before she graduates?

Based on your post, it looks to me that a very do-able 9th grade would be:

1 credit = English

1 credit = Math

1 credit = Science

1 credit = Social Studies

1 credit = Fine Arts

1 credit = Elective

6 credits = total (so, about 5-6 hours of work a day, 4-5 days a week)

Getting more specific:

English

Since DD loves to read, it will probably be pretty easy to find a Lit (or Lit + Writing) program that she would like. :) Can you share more about what kind of literature she likes or would like to study? How much formal analysis has she done in middle school? Where is she in her writing? Does she need work on essay writing? You mentioned she enjoys writing -- would she enjoy a credit in creative writing or journalism? Lots of options, so we need to know more to know how to suggest here. :)

Math

What level did DD complete in 8th grade (middle school math? pre-algebra? algebra?) -- And do you feel she needs to repeat that level to lay a good foundation, or is she ready to move to the next level of math? Some math programs that often "click" for visual-spatial learners:

- Teaching Textbooks

- Math-U-See

- Kinetic Textbooks

- Life of Fred

- Lial's Basic College Mathematics (don't be put off by the title)

Science

What science did DD complete in 8th grade? (General Science? Physical Science? Biology? a subject of personal interest?) For example, if wanting to do a gentle science in 9th grade, what about something like Rainbow Science -- do both year 1 AND year 2 in 9th for a credit of Physical Science.

If she's not planning on a STEM-based occupation that would need the traditional Biology, Chemistry, Physics courses, she can look in to alternative sciences that are of interest, and you can choose materials for labs to fulfill credit requirements -- other science topics include things like Astronomy, Earth Science, Horticulture or Botany, Environmental Science, Ecology, Marine Biology, Meteorology, etc.

Social Studies

Knowing that you'll likely need to do 1 year of American History somewhere in high school, think about what History/Geography you've done most recently, or haven't yet gotten to and pick a time period that DD would enjoy that isn't repeating what you just did. Or, go for another Social Studies topic entirely that she would enjoy: Archeology, Anthropology, Sociology, Psychology, Political Science, Philosophy, Geography, Economics, Government... Once you and DD settle on an area of study for Social Studies, we can help you come up with video-based lectures or more visual options for study.

Foreign Language

At some point, you'll need to get at least 2 credits of a foreign language in there. Has DD been studying a language (Latin, German, Spanish, French, Japanese, etc.) in middle school? Then maybe this would be a good year to keep going with the momentum and complete a year of that foreign language at a high school level. If she has not been doing a language, or is not interested at this time, then you can put off starting this for a year or two. One option for getting 2 credits in one year would be dual enrollment/dual credit at your local community college or university (1 semester college course = 1 YEAR high school).

Fine Arts

Sounds like that will be pretty easy to cover with a curriculum, series of lessons, a local teacher, or other more formal option, as she enjoys drawing.

Electives

What about a credit in Horse (Equine) Studies?

One last thought:

If your DD likes the Anne of Green Gables books, you might want to look into using the unit study of Where the Brook and River Meet. I can't get a good handle on how you would assign credit(s) for it, but it would likely cover your English credit, and possible a partial credit in each of Social Studies: History, Elective: Bible Study, and/or Fine Arts. See past posts by 8FillTheHeart ("x-post: Beautiful Autumn metaphor/personification example" and "Anne of Green Gables Study Guide") for a little more on what the program is like -- she adapted it for use with a middle school DD however, and did not assign high school credit, but is very savvy about what makes a high school credit.

Again, welcome to planning for high school! Warmest regards, Lori D.

Thank you! This was very helpful. To answer some questions, no, she is not college bound. She plans to go to beauty school, which is perfectly fine with me. She completed pre-algebra, and has done a little of algebra 1, but it's a struggle. We are currently doing American history, so I'm happy to be able to count that as a credit. She loves horses, so maybe something horse related for science? She does pretty well in grammar and has done some lit analysis, but not much. I would like her to do an art course, not sure which one. I was thinking a consumer math would be a good option for her?

Please investigate whether cosmetology schools in your state are hs'ing friendly. A few short years ago, we had parents on these forums who felt their only option was to let dd go to ps. They'd fought for acceptance of homeschool credits and failed.

I am NOT up on the current status and a not trying to just fearmonger - but I would check it out. I hope those roadblocks are already a thing of the past.

Also related to cosmetology training: in my area, we have public vocational high schools that offer DE in cosmetology. Our programs are open to hsers. If you think your dd might enjoy that, see if you have the option!

• Like 1

On 7/10/2017 at 2:30 AM, meganrussell said:

...To answer some questions, no, she is not college bound. She plans to go to beauty school...

Check out the info about what is required to work as a hairdresser or cosmetologist at the US Bureau of Labor's Occupational Outlook Handbook.

As Tibbie Dunbar mentioned in her post above, be aware that MANY cosmetology/beauty schools and trade schools do NOT accept homeschool high school diplomas. Unlike virtually all universities/colleges which DO accept homeschool parent-awarded diplomas, these schools REQUIRE either a GED, or an accredited diploma (which would be graduating from a private or public high school, or school at home through an accredited correspondence school). I've seen this happen in real life; in order to go to the local beauty school for cosmetology, a homeschool student I know personally  had to take and pass the GED test in spite of being a homeschool high school graduate with a parent-awarded diploma.

Here is the GED website. The GED was revamped in 2014, and is now harder, and needs study and prep time before taking it. If you think DD will be needing to go the GED route, then during your homeschool high school years, you would want to cover some of the more traditional areas of Math (i.e., Algebra and Geometry at least), and Science (some exposure to basic Biology, Chemistry, and Physics topics), and be solid with the Reading, Writing, and Grammar.

Your DD would have to be a minimum of 16-18yo (depends on the state) in order to take the GED, so you have plenty of time to do a full 4 years of homeschool high school to help prepare DD for her future. ?

Another possibility: our local community college (CC) has a fantastic program with FREE courses in vocational-technical fields for high school students who have not yet graduated high school who are in 10th grade up through age 20. A student can actually get all the coursework AND the hours required to be prepared to take the cosmetology license exam -- for free! You might look into what programs your local CC offers.

And while there might not be a free vo-tech course option, CCs accept homeschool high school diplomas, so you wouldn't have the extra step of having your DD get the GED in order to be admitted to the CC. AND, most CCs allow high school students to attend for dual enrollment/dual credit, so your DD could possibly start working towards her cosmetology license even while in high school! ?

...She completed pre-algebra, and has done a little of algebra 1, but it's a struggle... I was thinking a consumer math would be a good option for her?

Our DS#2 here has mild LDs and is very strongly a visual-spatial learner and struggled with writing, spelling, and math (esp. abstract math topics of Algebra), so I totally empathize. Math-U-See (MUS) is about the lightest/most gentle of the high school maths out there, and while it was a struggle, DS#2 did make it through Alg. 1, Geometry and Alg. 2 using MUS, and then Consumer Math for a 4th math credit. If your DD has already completed Pre-Algebra, I think she would also be able to get through all 3 of those MUS programs during high school -- the Geometry was especially quick.

Side note of encouragement -- usually students who struggle with Algebra do great with Geometry, as it is very visual and "3-D", rather than abstract and algorithm-based like Algebra.

Other math-strugglers I've known clicked with one of the other Math programs I listed in my post above. Another good series of textbooks overall for struggling readers and remedial students, but might also be a good fit for your DD's Math, is Walch Power Basics.

Consumer Math is a great idea for one of your Math credits. Some one-year (1-credit) options:
Abeka's Consumer Math
AGS Consumer Math (Wieser Education -- Pearson published a revised version)
Alpha Omega Consumer Math
Bob Jones Consumer Math
Walch Publishing: Consumer Math
- "Looking for Consumer Math class suggestions" -- post #3 = Consumer Math supplement ideas

You might actually consider doing Consumer Math in 9th grade with your DD. It is a good practice of middle school math topics (fractions, percents, decimals), and, of course, gives the student solid real-life math practice. Doing Consumer Math in 9th would also allow your DD another year for development/maturing of the abstract thinking portions of the brain, which is critical for being able to "click" with Algebra.

Then in 10th-11th grades, DD could work through Alg. 1 and Geometry (and maybe also Alg. 2, or do Alg. 2 in 12th grade), and finish her senior year with a solid course in accounting or bookkeeping that would help DD in managing her own finances while working as an independent contractor at a beauty salon, or in running her own salon. Or just in running her own home! ?

Alpha-Omega Life Pac: Accounting
ALEKS -- online, self-paced courses; Business Math; Accounting

We are currently doing American history, so I'm happy to be able to count that as a credit...

What are you using for your current American History? If you plan to count this as a high school credit, then whatever you are using needs to be of true high school level -- in other words, enough rigor and volume of material, and covering enough topics typical to a high school American History course. I only ask, because if what you are using is mostly at a middle school level, we can suggest ways of "beefing it up" so that it can be a true high school credit. ?

...She loves horses, so maybe something horse related for science? ...

Past thread on Equine Science has some ideas.

Other gentle "intro" or "non-STEM" science options:
- Integrated Physics & Chemistry (by Tiner) -- no labs; history-based; 2 year program
- Joy of Science (by Hakim) -- no labs; history/lit-based; text and workbooks; 1 year program

For both of these, I'd suggest getting a few TOPS Science units (or other kits) to do SOME kind of hands-on along with reading about science and scientists. For TOPS, I can recommend selecting from some of these to go along with high school science (be sure to also get the supply kit):

#23 = Rocks & Minerals (Earth Science)
#10 = Analysis (Chemistry)
#12 = Solutions (Chemistry)
#13 = Cohesion/Adhesion (Chemistry)
#42 = Focus Pocus (Physics)
#19 = Electricity (Physics)
#21 = Motion (Physics)
#15 = Heat (Physics)

...She does pretty well in grammar and has done some lit analysis, but not much..

Usually by high school, formal Grammar instruction is done, and the student applies Grammar in the writing and proof-editing of the Writing. If you feel the need for light review, The Chortling Bard is a fun 1-paragraph a day "bite" of grammar review, plus exposure to vocabulary words AND -- Shakespeare!   :w00t:

For a more formal first / beginning Lit. program (for the Literature portion of your English credit), I'd suggest:
Movies as Literature 
Literary Lessons from the Lord of the Rings
Lighting Literature & Composition 8

Another option is to select works of high interest to you and your DD and do them together, using individual lit. guides to go with each work. Does DD have any specific reading interests? Or do you have any specific goals for works you'd like DD to read during high school?

Then for the Writing portion of your English credit: If your DD enjoys creative writing, I'd nurture that with the One Year Adventure Novel. Otherwise, a solid program written to the student that covers pretty much all of the types of writing needed for high school is Sharon Watson's The Power in Your Hands.

...I would like her to do an art course, not sure which one...

In addition to doing a Drawing course in 9th grade, you might consider including quite a bit of Fine Arts throughout high school -- sort of like a college "minor" ;), to develop into a possible additional or alternate occupation for DD. If she's not headed towards a university, then the more skills she can develop now, the more options she'll have later on. I'd suggest doing some Digital Fine Arts and getting very comfortable with software that helps with graphic design and web design.

Out of time at the moment for looking up specific suggestions for Art, but hopefully others will chime in with ideas. ?

Most of all, I encourage you to be thinking through your overall goals for high school. These 4 years will pass by in a FLASH, and you need to be very intentional and planned about homeschool high school (esp. since you have a number of younger students also heavily needing your attention!) -- otherwise you will miss out on your last opportunity to see that important skills or experiences actually happen or are developed. ?

Find out what extracurriculars and opportunities are available locally for your teen -- many are open to homeschoolers as well as to public school students. And sometimes, you can count participation in an extracurricular towards a high school credit. ?

Talk to other homeschoolers with high school students in your area. For example, we never would have gotten involved with YMCA's Youth & Government program (and there's also Teen Pact) if not for other homeschoolers -- neither DS had any interest in politics or a career in law/politics, but had a *blast* doing this mock legislative program, earned part of their 0.5 credit of Government through participating -- and got experience in networking, writing, public speaking, and leadership/responsibility in a very fun way. AND they came out with a solid experience for how to go about understanding speeches and bills for when it came time to vote in real-life elections. ?

Things to think about overall for high school:

- Are there any extracurriculars you would like to see your DD involved in? -- youth theater, horseback riding, martial arts or dance classes, a sport...

- Would DD benefit from getting involved in a homeschool group with teens -- social activities, volunteering as part of a group, a student council, a shared interest in a community group activity...

- What about life skills? Things like using a computer, driver's ed, basic auto maintenance, budgeting/personal finance, how to grocery shop or do laundry or cook...

- What is the plan to expose DD to things like public speaking, civic awareness (voting), current events...?

BEST of luck as you move into the high school years with your oldest homeschool student! It's an exciting adventure! Warmest regards, Lori D.

Edited by Lori D.
  • Like 1

Check out the info about what is required to work as a hairdresser or cosmetologist at the US Bureau of Labor's Occupational Outlook Handbook.

As Tibbie Dunbar mentioned in her post above, be aware that MANY cosmetology/beauty schools and trade schools do NOT accept homeschool high school diplomas. Unlike virtually all universities/colleges which DO accept homeschool parent-awarded diplomas, these schools REQUIRE either a GED, or an accredited diploma (which would be graduating from a private or public high school, or school at home through an accredited correspondence school). I've seen this happen in real life; in order to go to the local beauty school for cosmetology, a homeschool student I know personally had to take and pass the GED test in spite of being a homeschool high school graduate with a parent-awarded diploma.

Here is the GED website. The GED was revamped in 2014, and is now harder, and needs study and prep time before taking it. If you think DD will be needing to go the GED route, then during your homeschool high school years, you would want to cover some of the more traditional areas of Math (i.e., Algebra and Geometry at least), and Science (some exposure to basic Biology, Chemistry, and Physics topics), and be solid with the Reading, Writing, and Grammar.

Your DD would have to be a minimum of 16-18yo (depends on the state) in order to take the GED, so you have plenty of time to do a full 4 years of homeschool high school to help prepare DD for her future. :)

Another possibility: our local community college (CC) has a fantastic program with FREE courses in vocational-technical fields for high school students who have not yet graduated high school who are in 10th grade up through age 20. A student can actually get all the coursework AND the hours required to be prepared to take the cosmetology license exam -- for free! You might look into what programs your local CC offers.

And while there might not be a free vo-tech course option, CCs accept homeschool high school diplomas, so you wouldn't have the extra step of having your DD get the GED in order to be admitted to the CC. AND, most CCs allow high school students to attend for dual enrollment/dual credit, so your DD could possibly start working towards her cosmetology license even while in high school! :)

Our DS#2 here has mild LDs and is very strongly a visual-spatial learner and struggled with writing, spelling, and math (esp. abstract math topics of Algebra), so I totally empathize. Math-U-See (MUS) is about the lightest/most gentle of the high school maths out there, and while it was a struggle, DS#2 did make it through Alg. 1, Geometry and Alg. 2 using MUS, and then Consumer Math for a 4th math credit. If your DD has already completed Pre-Algebra, I think she would also be able to get through all 3 of those MUS programs during high school -- the Geometry was especially quick.

Side note of encouragement -- usually students who struggle with Algebra do great with Geometry, as it is very visual and "3-D", rather than abstract and algorithm-based like Algebra.

Other math-strugglers I've known clicked with one of the other Math programs I listed in my post above. Another good series of textbooks overall for struggling readers and remedial students, but might also be a good fit for your DD's Math, is Walch Power Basics.

Consumer Math is a great idea for one of your Math credits. Some one-year (1-credit) options:

- Abeka's Consumer Math

- AGS Consumer Math (Wieser Education -- Pearson published a revised version)

- Alpha Omega Consumer Math

- Bob Jones Consumer Math

- Walch Publishing: Consumer Math

- "Looking for Consumer Math class suggestions" -- post #3 = Consumer Math supplement ideas

You might actually consider doing Consumer Math in 9th grade with your DD. It is a good practice of middle school math topics (fractions, percents, decimals), and, of course, gives the student solid real-life math practice. Doing Consumer Math in 9th would also allow your DD another year for development/maturing of the abstract thinking portions of the brain, which is critical for being able to "click" with Algebra.

Then in 10th-11th grades, DD could work through Alg. 1 and Geometry (and maybe also Alg. 2, or do Alg. 2 in 12th grade), and finish her senior year with a solid course in accounting or bookkeeping that would help DD in managing her own finances while working as an independent contractor at a beauty salon, or in running her own salon. Or just in running her own home! :)

- Alpha-Omega Life Pac: Accounting

- ALEKS -- online, self-paced courses; Business Math; Accounting

What are you using for your current American History? If you plan to count this as a high school credit, then whatever you are using needs to be of true high school level -- in other words, enough rigor and volume of material, and covering enough topics typical to a high school American History course. I only ask, because if what you are using is mostly at a middle school level, we can suggest ways of "beefing it up" so that it can be a true high school credit. :)

Past thread on Equine Science has some ideas.

Other gentle "intro" or "non-STEM" science options:

- Integrated Physics & Chemistry (by Tiner) -- no labs; history-based; 2 year program

- Joy of Science (by Hakim) -- no labs; history/lit-based; text and workbooks; 1 year program

For both of these, I'd suggest getting a few TOPS Science units (or other kits) to do SOME kind of hands-on along with reading about science and scientists. For TOPS, I can recommend selecting from some of these to go along with high school science (be sure to also get the supply kit):

#23 = Rocks & Minerals (Earth Science)

#10 = Analysis (Chemistry)

#12 = Solutions (Chemistry)

#13 = Cohesion/Adhesion (Chemistry)

#42 = Focus Pocus (Physics)

#19 = Electricity (Physics)

#21 = Motion (Physics)

#15 = Heat (Physics)

Usually by high school, formal Grammar instruction is done, and the student applies Grammar in the writing and proof-editing of the Writing. If you feel the need for light review, The Chortling Bard is a fun 1-paragraph a day "bite" of grammar review, plus exposure to vocabulary words AND -- Shakespeare! :w00t:

For a more formal first / beginning Lit. program (for the Literature portion of your English credit), I'd suggest:

Movies as Literature

Literary Lessons from the Lord of the Rings

Lighting Literature & Composition 8

Another option is to select works of high interest to you and your DD and do them together, using individual lit. guides to go with each work. Does DD have any specific reading interests? Or do you have any specific goals for works you'd like DD to read during high school?

Then for the Writing portion of your English credit: If your DD enjoys creative writing, I'd nurture that with the One Year Adventure Novel. Otherwise, a solid program written to the student that covers pretty much all of the types of writing needed for high school is Sharon Watson's The Power in Your Hands.

In addition to doing a Drawing course in 9th grade, you might consider including quite a bit of Fine Arts throughout high school -- sort of like a college "minor" ;), to develop into a possible additional or alternate occupation for DD. If she's not headed towards a university, then the more skills she can develop now, the more options she'll have later on. I'd suggest doing some Digital Fine Arts and getting very comfortable with software that helps with graphic design and web design.

Out of time at the moment for looking up specific suggestions for Art, but hopefully others will chime in with ideas. :)

Most of all, I encourage you to be thinking through your overall goals for high school. These 4 years will pass by in a FLASH, and you need to be very intentional and planned about homeschool high school (esp. since you have a number of younger students also heavily needing your attention!) -- otherwise you will miss out on your last opportunity to see that important skills or experiences actually happen or are developed. :)

Find out what extracurriculars and opportunities are available locally for your teen -- many are open to homeschoolers as well as to public school students. And sometimes, you can count participation in an extracurricular towards a high school credit. :)

Talk to other homeschoolers with high school students in your area. For example, we never would have gotten involved with YMCA's Youth & Government program (and there's also Teen Pact) if not for other homeschoolers -- neither DS had any interest in politics or a career in law/politics, but had a *blast* doing this mock legislative program, earned part of their 0.5 credit of Government through participating -- and got experience in networking, writing, public speaking, and leadership/responsibility in a very fun way. AND they came out with a solid experience for how to go about understanding speeches and bills for when it came time to vote in real-life elections. :)

Things to think about overall for high school:

- Are there any extracurriculars you would like to see your DD involved in? -- youth theater, horseback riding, martial arts or dance classes, a sport...

- Would DD benefit from getting involved in a homeschool group with teens -- social activities, volunteering as part of a group, a student council, a shared interest in a community group activity...

- What about life skills? Things like using a computer, driver's ed, basic auto maintenance, budgeting/personal finance, how to grocery shop or do laundry or cook...

- What is the plan to expose DD to things like public speaking, civic awareness (voting), current events...?

BEST of luck as you move into the high school years with your oldest homeschool student! It's an exciting adventure! Warmest regards, Lori D.

Thank you so much. This was so helpful. I've read and reread this many times, exploring links and curriculum. ((((Hugs))))

• Like 1

As you move more into your planning, you can also post individual threads asking for ideas for different subjects. For example, from info you've posted in this thread:

"What art do you recommend for high school student who loves to draw?"
"Need curriculum ideas for a non-college bound math struggler"
"Suggestions for horse science for high school credit?"

Glad something here has been of help! Homeschooling high school can feel very daunting. Just take it one step at a time, and before long, you'll be in full swing. ? Warmest regards, Lori D.

Edited by Lori D.
  • Like 1

Check out WinterPromise for Equine Science.  I know they say it is for up to 7th but it can be used as high school.  The material is really in depth. https://winterpromise.com/product-category/science-programs/equine-science-for-3rd-7th-grade/

Is she a member of 4h?  They offer horse bowl and hippology contests that she might be interested in too.

As for Math if you could get through Algebra 1 that should be enough of the standard Math.  You might want to look at a program like VideoText for Algebra.  The presentation of the ideas might be just what she needs.  After that you might want to have her just do a consumer math program and then an accounting program.  If she is planning on going into the beauty industry she might look to have her own shop someday or might end up as a contractor renting her spot in a shop.  Having some accounting or business math would be very helpful for her

For History you could do Beautiful Feet which is a literature based history program.  That might be more to her interest.