Menu

The Bible's influence on lit?

As part of our English class next year, I want to look at biblical allusions in literature. We may also delve into a literary analysis of the Bible. As I started looking for books to guide us, I found a wide variety of books, some of which are obviously written from a religious point of view. I'm not looking to study the Bible from a religious point of view. I want a "just the fact ma'am" presentation from a literary point of view. I would like to hear from anyone who as incorporated something like this in their studies, and hear what books you found useful.

Two books that I am currently considering are: Everyday Biblical Literacy: The Essential Guide to Biblical Allusions in Art, Literature and Life
and How to Read the Bible as Literature. If you have read or used these books, did you find them useful?

Thanks!

Kim

You should look at The Great Code: The Bible and Literature and its sequel Words with Power by Northrop Frye. I think they would just the sort of thing you're looking for, but they might be too advanced for your student. Prof. Frye was a professor of literary criticism at Toronto University so I think you can be assured that little to no religious perspective has invaded his work.

I've not read the two books you list, but I've heard good things about them.

• Like 1

You should look at The Great Code: The Bible and Literature and its sequel Words with Power by Northrop Frye. I think they would just the sort of thing you're looking for, but they might be too advanced for your student. Prof. Frye was a professor of literary criticism at Toronto University so I think you can be assured that little to no religious perspective has invaded his work.

I've not read the two books you list, but I've heard good things about them.

That's good to hear. I had also put The Great Code  in my Amazon cart early this morning, but had not looked at Words with Power. Thank you! I will look at those more. My son had a wonderful English and creative writing teacher for a couple of years, and he got a great start with lit analysis. Hopefully these will be at a good level for him.