Menu

My First Stitch Fix, or Pt II of "I Cannot Buy Clothes"

Ginevra

For anyone who remembers how I said it is so darn difficult for me to go purchase clothing for myself, this is a post continuing that. In the thread, there was a recommendation to consider Stitch Fix (I think it was Texasmom who suggested it.) Stitch Fix is an on-line clothing service where a stylist chooses five things for you, based on your profile questions, and then you get them in the mail, try them on, pay for what you like, send back what you don't. So, I signed up and I got my first fix a few days ago. Here's how it turned out:

I kept 3/5 items. My overall opinion of this first fix is 4/5 stars. It was quite good. This is what I received: (BTW, I had requested mainly tops that are flexible and can dress up or down.)

1) First item out of the box, I loved instantly. It is a red, sleeveless top with a crochet detail down the front. The fabric is lightweight and first I feared my bra would show through, but it is lined in the front and doesn't. 10/10.

2) Second was a top I decided against. It was pretty and I would have kept it if I still worked in a law firm, but it was too dressy for wearing with shorts/daily clothes. It was a fushia sleeveless blouse with a ruffle at the top of the high neck and gold buttons halfway down the front. Sent back. 6/10.

3) Third was the only thing I didn't like at all. It was a short-sleeved blouse with a very flowy cut and a split neck. The print was a diamond pattern in blue and pink on a white field. Sent back. 1/10.

4) Fourth, another top I loved immediately, similar to the first. It is a white sleeveless blouse wih crochet detail down the front. Sort of eyelet looking. Also seemed like it could be see-through, but it is lined appropriately, so it does not show through. 9/10.

5) Last was a nice surprise: a little black dress. It is figure-hugging, so a little sexy, but nothing overt or revealing. Sleeveless, with a scoop neck and ending right above the knee. I loved it. 9/10.

So, there you have it, my first Stitch Fix. I am glad I tried it and have moved up the date for another box to arrive. Drawbacks, such as they are: the clothes are on the expensive side. I am not accustomed to spending this much; for example, the black dress was $98, the tops were around $50 each. However, with the linings on the tops, I do believe these are quality items. And not having to SHOP for them, a process I just detest, is really worth a lot to me.

Other drawback: every single item was made in an asian country, which makes me always suspicious about fair labor practices. But this is something I have been struggling with in general because it is seriously hard to avoid. So I'm sort of ignoring that problem for the moment.

Verdict: worth trying if you HATE shopping and your budget is not super strict. It probably works best if you want things in one category. I asked for tops and got 4 tops and 1 dress, so there was a better liklihood that I would like at least one of the tops, right? Also, I did link my Pintrest board, so if you have one and try it, that might help you get a better delivery.

ETA: typo

Edited by Quill
  • Like 28

I have really liked Stitch Fix. I found out I was pregnant two months after I subscribed, but it got me through that pregnancy and those awkward months afterward when your body is trying to decide what shape to be, plus nursing. I'm pregnant again, and this is definitely my last baby, so I'm treating myself to every other month boxes of new maternity clothes, and then hopefully get to enjoy new clothes as I embark on the process of rediscovering my body after 4 kids in 5 years.

There has only been a box or two at most where I haven't kept at least some items, and some of my wardrobe staples this summer are Stitch Fix items I probably wouldn't have looked at or really seen in a store.

• Like 1

I keep meaning to try it too. My SIL loves it and she's really not into clothes. Ever since she subscribed she looks so put together.

The prices concern me a little too, but then again I tend to keep my clothes forever. I cleaned my closet out last week and have at least 3 dresses I still wear that are over 10 years old. One of them happens to be a dress I paid full price for at Ann Taylor way back when. At the time it was the only dress I could find for a family event and we couldn't really afford a $100 dress. Looking back it was a great investment.

• Like 3

I keep meaning to try it too. My SIL loves it and she's really not into clothes. Ever since she subscribed she looks so put together.

The prices concern me a little too, but then again I tend to keep my clothes forever. I cleaned my closet out last week and have at least 3 dresses I still wear that are over 10 years old. One of them happens to be a dress I paid full price for at Ann Taylor way back when. At the time it was the only dress I could find for a family event and we couldn't really afford a $100 dress. Looking back it was a great investment.

Yeah, I like timeless things that will last. I don't crave new clothes much, I just want to look put together. I think, so long as it's not taking bread out of your kids' mouths, it's worth the investment. I plan to stay on, assuming the boxes continue to meet my needs, for at least one year. That way, I will have been styled through four seasons and should be feeling good about what's in my closet for a long while.

• Like 3

Ok, you inspired me and I just signed up to try it. I hate shopping so much; I am a petite size and there is so little out there. Hoping for the best!

Oh, good! I hope it turns out good for you! Come back and tell us how it went when your box arrives.

Thanks for the review! May I ask, did you specifically request sleeveless items?

Sort of. There is a section that asks "do you like to show off these parts?" And then you check whether you show them off, sometimes do, or like them always covered. I work out with weights and I am proud of my arms. 😇 So, for summer, yes, I picked show them off. For the thing I said "Keep that covered up," (cleavage), all the tops conformed to that request.

• Like 2

Sort of. There is a section that asks "do you like to show off these parts?" And then you check whether you show them off, sometimes do, or like them always covered. I work out with weights and I am proud of my arms. 😇 So, for summer, yes, I picked show them off. For the thing I said "Keep that covered up," (cleavage), all the tops conformed to that request.

"Keep that covered up" LOL. I was just curious since several of you items were sleeveless.

• Like 1

I've had three Fixes and was only really disappointed with the all-denim one I requested. It never occurred to me that I would have to specify up front that I didn't want a bunch of shredded, torn-up jeans, but that's all they sent except for one pair that was too skinny for my taste. I found a pair of jeans on Poshmark that was similar to one of the ripped ones but not torn and much cheaper, so it's also useful even if you end up shopping elsewhere for similar items. I'll just stick to a regular Fix next time, as there's usually at least one item I like enough to buy.

Edited by Word Nerd
  • Like 1

Sounds like something I should check out. I am a non-shopper in malls and other stores but I try occasionally to pick something from LL Bean.

Are the brands across the board and the emphasis is on style / color etc?

I am not particularly brand loyal - only if I order from the same place for convenience reasons.

• Like 1

This sounds like a very helpful feature!

• Like 1

I've done two fixes. One item I kept from my first fix fell apart within two weeks even before I washed it. I contacted them and since it was out of stock, they credited me back the full amount no questions asked. Superb customer service.

FYI: be sure to launder according to the label instructions.

Also, my MIL does it. She's 65. She recommended using a Pinterest page to show your stylist what you like. It was helpful.

• Like 1

Sounds like something I should check out. I am a non-shopper in malls and other stores but I try occasionally to pick something from LL Bean.

I am not particularly brand loyal - only if I order from the same place for convenience reasons.

I don't recognize anything as particular brands. I don't know if you could get something like Lucky Brand jeans or something, or if they would just be jeans with no particular brand. The emphasis is on style/color/type of look.

The one part of the profile that was somewhat baffling to me was like this: it was a section that would have about three outfits and then you were supposed to rate that *collection* of looks as Love it, Hate it, just okay, like it. That was weird to me because I was thinking, "Well, I like this middle look, except not those shoes, but I hate that other skirt, but the top is nice..." That portion didn't make a lot of sense to me. It should have been ONE look that you would rate, and then another single look to rate and so on.

• Like 1

I've done two fixes. One item I kept from my first fix fell apart within two weeks even before I washed it. I contacted them and since it was out of stock, they credited me back the full amount no questions asked. Superb customer service.

FYI: be sure to launder according to the label instructions.

Also, my MIL does it. She's 65. She recommended using a Pinterest page to show your stylist what you like. It was helpful.

I was afraid of laundering the white crochet top, but I decided if worse came to worst, I could contact them and tell them it got jeffed up in the wash. I did follow the care rec's though.

I did link my Pinterest and it does seem to me that they used it. My Pintrest board has several red things and I had a notion they chose the red top based on my pins. Also, the one top had a ruffle and I realized that there are several items on my pinboards with a ruffle, so they may have taken that cue from the board.

Most of what they sell, they manufacture themselves. The labels don't say stitch fix, but they own the labels. So, IOW, they aren't out in stores shopping for you, they are picking the things from their warehouse they think will fit your stated preferences.

• Like 1

I've been meaning to give them a try, but will have to wait until.my weight atabilizes. Stress and, menopause have added sevwral.pounds to my frame and I really don't want to spend big bucks on this size. But I would be willing to do so if and when I lose this. So, for now, I shop clearance for get stuck when I need something right away.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I think it would be so fun to be a Stitch Fix stylist.

A young woman I know (30ish) is one of their stylists, and she has been very successful with them. I have known this young woman since she was in middle school, and she has always had an impressive sense of style.
  • Like 3

A young woman I know (30ish) is one of their stylists, and she has been very successful with them. I have known this young woman since she was in middle school, and she has always had an impressive sense of style.

That's quite interesting, because I had theorized that it wasn't really a person at all, but was a computer generating style choices by algorithm.

• Like 3

That's quite interesting, because I had theorized that it wasn't really a person at all, but was a computer generating style choices by algorithm.

The notes from my named stylists are genuine, though I assume they're somewhat formulaic. They've included specific references to my notes and preferences before.

• Like 3

The notes from my named stylists are genuine, though I assume they're somewhat formulaic. They've included specific references to my notes and preferences before.

Yeah, and my stylist's note did refence certain things I had said, but I still thought a computer could generate that by looking for patterns in what I say, such as "longer length, but not a maxi dress..." Also, on my Pinterest board, there was one outfit I pinned which I commented, "I love this red top." I thought it was possible for a computer program to search my linked pinboard and pick up things like this, because I did get a red top similar to the one I pinned.

I wonder how much time a stylist invests in putting together one fix.

• Like 2

I want to try a box so bad, but I'm afraid I will love everything and not be able to afford it. :(

I have been thinking about the poster here named Pinkmint, who said her special talent is styling thrift store finds into cute outfits. There truly might be an idea in there which could generate earnings for her, while generating outfits for you.

• Like 8

Yay!  So glad you found stuff you love and didn't have to shop.

Stichfix doesn't own the brands, but they do have exclusive agreements with some smaller labels.  Unless that's changed in the last year.

A lot of clothes that people think are exclusive to them are smaller labels also sold at places like Nordstrom or Nordstrom Rack.

• Like 1

On a related note, does anyone know of a clothing store similar to the Sundance Catalog?

http://m.sundancecatalog.com/

I love the romantic style of the clothes in Sundance, but could never afford the price.

I don't, but I know what you mean. I often think their things are beauitful, but too expensive. I use their catalogs as inspiration when I make beaded jewelry.

On a related note, does anyone know of a clothing store similar to the Sundance Catalog?

http://m.sundancecatalog.com/

I love the romantic style of the clothes in Sundance, but could never afford the price.

Anthropologie, Soft Surroundings and to a lesser extent, JJill (they used to be more like it, but I think their buyer or director or something changed, because they've drifted more towards Banana Republic type stuff).   None are cheap though.  Shop their clearance and you can find some good deals.

I didn't imagine I would be posting on this thread, but here I am! :seeya:

I just checked out T-Mobile's deals today for their weekly T-Mobile Tuesdays and this is what I found:

$25 TO STITCH FIX

Save time and look great with $25 to Stitch Fix. Stitch Fix delivers handpicked clothes tailored to your taste and budget. Free shipping. Exclusive for T-Mobile customers.

Apply code at www.stitchfix.com and schedule a Stitch Fix shipment (e.g. a “Fixâ€) by 11:59 p.m. ET on July 18, 2017 to receive a $25 credit. Free Stitch Fix account required (which must be created if you don’t already have one). Cannot redeem promo code on Stitch Fix app. One time use only. Not redeemable for cash or gift cards. Participants who already have a Fix scheduled (made prior to July 11, 2017), must apply their code to their account by 11:59 p.m. ET on July 18, 2017 and use their code by 11:59 p.m. ET on October 8, 2017 for it to be valid. At the time you schedule a Fix, a $20 styling fee is deducted from your $25 credit; the $20 fee will then be credited towards any items purchased. If no items are purchased, the $20 styling fee will be charged against the $25 credit. You will need a valid credit card to pay for any items that you purchase over the credit balance.

As it says, it appears you have a week to get this deal, which is longer than normal.

If you are a T-Mobile customer and have never used T-Mobile Tuesdays, just know that these deals are for real. In order to access them, you will need to download the "T-Mobile Tuesdays" app from the App Store on iOS or the Play Store on Android. Then sign into your T-Mobile account and get your deals.

Enjoy! (Somehow I feel like a crack pusher... :tongue_smilie: )

• Like 3

That's cool, Reg! Thanks for sharing. BTW, they do have male clothes styling at Stitch Fix, too. In the back of my mind, I have a notion of having Ds17 sign up for a few deliveries. Probably not until he is in college or about to head there, but at the moment, his "style" is a black or grey t-shirt and jeans or athletic shorts/pants. He may need some help if the ocassion warrants branching out into, you know, shirts with buttons or a color that isn't the absense of color. ðŸ˜

• Like 2