Menu

Venus Williams Traffic Accident

goldberry

This is so sad to me.

...attorney, Michael Steinger, has accused the tennis star of running a red light.Williams, however, claims she entered the intersection on a green light in her 2010 Toyota Sequoia  and had to stop in the middle due to backed up traffic, which is when Barson's Hyundai Accent – driven by Jerome Barson's wife, Linda Barson – collided with Williams.

She was in the wrong for entering the intersection before she was sure she could clear it.  But I've gotten stuck myself like that because I thought traffic was still moving and it stopped suddenly.  She was in the intersection almost stopped (5mph) when the other car hit her, apparently hard enough to kill the 79 year old passenger. None of the stories so far say how fast the other car was going.   I'm sorry for the man and sorry for her as well.  

http://www.rollingstone.com/sports/venus-williams-fatal-car-crash-everything-we-know-w491313

Edited by goldberry

jumping the gun a bit there.   there's video purporting to show she was legal.

http://video.dailymail.co.uk/video/mol/2017/07/07/3217078469420663633/640x360_MP4_3217078469420663633.mp4

i can't tell you how many times I've had had drivers/cars push the yellow into the red in front of me while I watched my green light get eaten up by them. (and no, they don't change speed)  one time I looked down at my baby - and it saved me from  being t-boned by someone who wanted that yellow so bad they entered the intersection on a red.  I've sat and counted cars running reds because they don't want to be the first one to stop.

we won't get into the game of chicken at a major intersection in Tx.

• Like 5

There's another article (People maybe?) that said she had to slow down when another vehicle pulled out in front of her, which caused her to be stuck in the intersection when the light turned red. They're now saying she lawfully entered the intersection.

Here it is: http://people.com/crime/venus-williams-new-video-footage-shows-green-light-fatal-car-crash/

jumping the gun a bit there.   there's video purporting to show she was legal.

http://video.dailymail.co.uk/video/mol/2017/07/07/3217078469420663633/640x360_MP4_3217078469420663633.mp4

i can't tell you how many times I've had had drivers/cars push the yellow into the red in front of me while I watched my green light get eaten up by them. 

There doesn't appear to be any traffic light at that intersection. If there was, the black car (which I assume was VW's) would not have stopped to let that white car go from left to right first.

There doesn't appear to be any traffic light at that intersection. If there was, the black car (which I assume was VW's) would not have stopped to let that white car go from left to right first.

There is definitely a light. The police report and witnesses both referenced it as well as the lawsuit against VW from the other family involved in the wreck.

• Like 2

There's a light. It's central to the investigation. Originally they thought she ran the light. The white car pulling out in front of her is what prevented her from leaving the intersection before her green light ended.

• Like 2

There's a light. That video isn't angled in a way to see high enough to show the light. 

I can't understand what happened at all from the video. I need, like, an animated diagram or something that shows the light and the streets because I have no clue.

In this version (same video) NBC highlights the area so you can see a little better what happened. Not a diagram but at least it points you to what you're supposed to see.

http://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/venus-williams-legally-entered-intersection-crash-police-say-n780871

In this version (same video) NBC highlights the area so you can see a little better what happened. Not a diagram but at least it points you to what you're supposed to see.

http://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/venus-williams-legally-entered-intersection-crash-police-say-n780871

That doesn't help me understand it better at all. I mean, I get the gist of what happened, but the video is super unclear. I'm not sure whose side it supports, though I guess I take the police and the analysts at their word that it supports her side.

Assuming that's what happened, it is SO scary when you're stuck in an intersection after the light changes because of something unforeseen.

There's a light. It's central to the investigation. Originally they thought she ran the light. The white car pulling out in front of her is what prevented her from leaving the intersection before her green light ended.

So then the white car is indirectly responsible for the accident.

• Like 3