Menu

Best Connecticut beach for the day?

lisabees

Taking dd14 to an overnight camp in Charlton, Massachusetts; we are coming from Philly area.  DD13 (joining us for the ride) and dd14 would like a pit stop - overnight- at a beach.  I was thinking Connecticut.  Something "beachy" enough for them - boardwalk maybe.  But not too busy and tacky. I hate the beach!

Edited by lisabees

Sherwood Island in Westport is my favorite state park for a daytime stop, and is rarely crowded even on gorgeous weekend days; but it does not have overnight camping.  Hammonasett in Madison, another hour or so up 95, does appear to have both camping (we've never stayed overnight so I can't speak to its facilities) and a boardwalk.

Be forewarned that CT is on the Sound, so we don't have "waves," lol.  Just gentle rolling tidal slosh...

• Like 2

My kids like Rocky Neck. If you want to get to the ocean with real waves I'd go a little further east and go to RI beaches. Misquamicut is the big town beach and is easy as far as parking goes but Watch Hill or Napatree are nicer and not nearly as crowded. Parking is just more difficult and you have to a walk a bit.

• Like 3

Funny about the lack of waves. The 13 year old keeps talking about learning how to surf. I told her today that I found a surfboard in my Amazon shopping cart and deleted it! She said she was hoping I would accidentally order it! Surfing has been her obsession for all of 24 hours. She is obviously bored!

Off to check out the beaches you all mentioned. I'll let you know!

• Like 2

Yeah, Calf Pasture is one of many, many municipal beaches.  So far as I know, none allow overnight camping (but now that that's no longer a criteria...) It's fun because it's right next to a harbor, with a lot of outlying islands, with a lot of boats coming and going (not into the swimming area), so there's a lot to watch.

If you're just looking for a day trip, the Sheffield Island ferry / lighthouse tour / clambake experiences are all fun.  Neat to see how recently the lighthouse life was still so remote, even just a couple miles from the busy CT shoreline in the middle of the Sound.  (Sheffield Island is different from Sherwood Island that I recommended upthread; Sherwood has a causeway while Sheffield is accessible only by boat.)

• Like 1

Just wanted you all to know that we ended up at Ocean Beach Park in CT.  It was perfect for what I wanted.  They enjoyed the beach and water slides.

Then, two days ago, I took dd13 and her friend to Ocean City, NJ for a day trip - there, she could get the boardwalk experience she was craving.

I am not a fan of the beach.  At all.  I think we can call it a wrap for this summer. :)

• Like 1