Menu

MM or Miquon for 1st grade

caedmyn

I'm trying to decide between Math Mammoth and the Miquon red book for my 1st grader in the fall.  He did the Miquon orange book for K.  He did ok with it and generally grasped the concepts but there were quite a few pages that required a good bit of explanation and hand-holding from me...I'd explain how to do one problem and he'd need it explained several more times for subsequent problems on the same page.  I realize he's young, but neither of his older siblings required much explanation or hand-holding with Miquon, so I'm wondering if maybe the endless repetition in MM might make it a more independent/less teacher-intensive program for him overall.  The downside of MM is that it has a lot of pages and a lot of problems per page.  I'd cross half of them off, but this particular child balks...a lot...any time he thinks he has too much work to do.  He didn't generally balk at doing Miquon last year.  So that's my dilemma.

In your scenario it sounds like you should stick with Miquon (working) and keep MM as a back up (may not work as well per your evaluation). He is slower to catch on to concepts, but he does get them, yes? I think that sounds ok, even though it is different from your older kids.

My younger dd finished up Miquon last year, and my older dd uses MM. I switched my older dd to MM when it became clear that it was better for me to be in a back-up role, rather than primary teacher. So, my experience would suggest holding out longer before switching.

• Like 2

I don't know that"independent" is ideal at this age. It's reasonable to expect that this age requires heavy involvement from the parent. I'd stick with Miquon, since it is working... Although would it work to redo the previous level? Or take a break and do some other game-type math instead?

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

• Like 2

My 1st graders all required that I be at their elbow the whole math (half) hour. Although I love MM, I'd probably stick with Miquon in your case, using MM as a source of review/reteaching/reinforcement as needed (assuming you already own it).

We did Miquon, MM, and Singapore.

With Miquon, I found the thick teacher guide book to be indispensable. The worksheets looked as though they could be done on their own, but the teacher guide often had suggestions for starting. And some exceptionally difficult worksheets were assessments at which kids were not expected to do that well -- good to know. We stuck with Miquon and loved it.

We tried MM, the subject books, but dropped them after a bit. Far too many problems per page.

Singspore was what we transitioned to during and after Miquon. We liked some of the supplement books, like Visible Thinking and Process Skills.

Hope you find the right program for your son.

ETA

I had one child who zoomed through math. I never needed an instructor guide for anything. The above is about the child who was very challenged by math. Miquon changed her attitude from scared of numbers to loving math. The rods became her friends, lol.

Edited by Alessandra
  • Like 2

I adore Miquon. I think you should probably stick with it. Did you make your own lab sheets? That's a key component - especially when a child needs more practice. I think "handholding" seems totally normal at that age. You may have just lucked out with your older kids.

I had one ds use MM for 1-4th grades, so I definitely think highly of the program. However, what you say about your ds's dislike of all those problems makes me very hesitant to consider switching.

I'd think about adding something in instead possibly. Like, maybe the Right Start Games would be a good addition to Miquon. Or maybe an online game to practice simple facts.

• Like 1

I adore Miquon. I think you should probably stick with it. Did you make your own lab sheets? That's a key component - especially when a child needs more practice. I think "handholding" seems totally normal at that age. You may have just lucked out with your older kids.

I had one ds use MM for 1-4th grades, so I definitely think highly of the program. However, what you say about your ds's dislike of all those problems makes me very hesitant to consider switching.

I'd think about adding something in instead possibly. Like, maybe the Right Start Games would be a good addition to Miquon. Or maybe an online game to practice simple facts.

We got a lot of simple math games from Rainbow Resource. Math Dice Jr and Snap It Up were two of our favorites. The key to success, imo, was to cheat just enough so that dd won most of the time. The games reallt helped with mental math. We liked the simple games much better than board games like Sum Swamp, which take longer to play and have more pieces for parent to pick up. Edited by Alessandra
  • Like 1