Menu

Wayfarers Reviews??

Linz1084

Has anyone used Wayfarers?  Wondering how the year went.  I'm interested in it for my 1st and 2nd graders. Kind of torn between that (since I'm already using ELTL) and Biblioplan which would keep history separate... thoughts? 

I'm wondering specifically in Ancients if the Bible is just alongside history, or if it is selected to fill in the gaps with Biblical history? I guess wondering about this for both Biblioplan and Wayfarers.

I have not used Wayfarers, but I'm pretty sure that Bible is completely separate from History in it. So what you are reading in the Bible portion is not designed to be related/aligned with what you're reading about that week in History. The Bible is also not used as an assigned text in the History portion of the curriculum. So although you would be reading from the historical books in the Bible during Year 1 (Ancient History), they are presented as religious studies, not as part of the history readings.

I have not used Wayfarers, but I'm pretty sure that Bible is completely separate from History in it. So what you are reading in the Bible portion is not designed to be related/aligned with what you're reading about that week in History. The Bible is also not used as an assigned text in the History portion of the curriculum. So although you would be reading from the historical books in the Bible during Year 1 (Ancient History), they are presented as religious studies, not as part of the history readings.

Ok thanks - it seems that way to me too.  Is it the same with Biblioplan, do you (or anyone) know?

I have both and Wayfarers keeps bible separate. I wanted to love it but after using Biblioplan I just don't like it as much even though we too are using ELTL. Biblioplan Ancient is phenomenal and the bible is weaved in beautifully. I could not be happier with BP and instead of me trying to chase a new curriculum I have decided to stick with BP through all levels. I also much preferred the book choices in BP.

Edited by nixpix5
  • Like 1

I can't comment on Biblioplan, but would add that while Bible is separate in Wayfarers, SOTW Ancients (the history spine) does incorporate Old Testament events into the history teaching.

FWIW, I used big chunks of Wayfarers (ELTL, some of RLTL, MUS, SOTW, Quark Chronicles) with my 1st grader and we really enjoyed it.  We didn't do very many of the extras, and we didn't use all of RLTL (he needed to go slower and I needed more support -- but we do LOVE phonograms), but overall I think it's a great program and he will continue with it next year.

We use Wayfarers, and really love it. My kids are 11, 9, and 6. We use ELTL, RLTL, MUS, the geography program that is scheduled, the Bible readings, we follow the composer study recommendations, we do Quark Chronicles and the other scheduled science. We save the literary read alouds for summer time and breaks, and we do our own thing for art and the devotionals/Bible teaching. It just really makes sense for us to use Wayfarers, especially as we have one student moving on Dialectic stage soon, and I need to keep my kids together in content areas due to other time constraints and special needs. We tried Sonlight and My Father's World in the past, which might have also been perfect for us if I had given myself the freedom to augment the program as needed back then. It's my thought that with Biblioplan, Wayfarers, or any "all in one" program, the name of the game is using it as a guide, and not the rule, and in that fashion it is a great tool.

So about your specific question, the Bible readings and devotional that are scheduled in Wayfarers are not integrated with the History. However, there are read alouds and picture books that correspond to Biblical History in the Ancients time period. The Bible studied along with Wayfarers Ancients is the Old Testament, so in that way, there is some congruency. I personally prefer to be able to be very choosy about Biblical history and how I address it with the kiddos, and I like that Wayfarers keeps it separate enough that if I choose to do something different for Bible, the whole program does not fall apart. I like to teach Jewish origins and ancient culture every year, to lend context to our Bible studies, anyway. Wayfarer's flexibility (and my self permission to be flexible with it beyond it's built-in flexibility) is what makes it a wonderful program for our needs. I really love it.

Good Luck!

• Like 1