Menu

sign language funny-laugh at me

Luna signs. She's better at it than I am, which often leaves me feeling at a loss to keep up. she has far surpassed what my other kids did. 

Yesterday, we went to a special story time with an ASL instructor. It was great and Luna was absolutely lit up that everyone was speaking her language. She has never had that experience before. We also picked up signing times videos, which she is watching right now. 

Both the story time and the video did animal signs. We have also been working on animal signs. So this is good. I have often wondered about the signs for animal sounds. I noted that the teacher was doing what he have been doing. The animal sign for both the name and sound of each animal. 

Now, Luna does hear. As did my older kids who signed They had various speech delays, but everyone can hear. So it never occurred to me that ASL has no signs for sounds. 

Because why would they. There's no need to describe a sound You Can't Hear. 

Gah. I had an epiphany yesterday. Of course there's no sign for bark. The dogging is dogging. Whatever that sounds like.

Now I feel a little bit ridiculous. Y'all. I am out of my depth here. I'm so glad I didn't ask the instructor about it. I would have been so embarrassed. 

Edited by desertstrawberry5
  • Like 6

Hmm. That's interesting. I would think there would be signs for the actual word, such as bark or growl. I mean, there are signs for talk and scream even though they can't hear a person talking or screaming. I can understand there not being a sign for an onomatopoeia but not for the name of what a dog does. Or a cat, a wolf (howling), a bird (chirping), or other animals whose sounds have a name. 

• Like 1

Hmm. That's interesting. I would think there would be signs for the actual word, such as bark or growl. I mean, there are signs for talk and scream even though they can't hear a person talking or screaming. I can understand there not being a sign for an onomatopoeia but not for the name of what a dog does. Or a cat, a wolf (howling), a bird (chirping), or other animals whose sounds have a name. 

I know that in ASL, a lot of the signs are multipurpose. Verbal language has a LOT of redundancies. I,me, my, mine are all one sign. There is no verb "to be" that I'm aware of. No sign for to or and. 

The verbal structure is just different. 

• Like 1

I know that in ASL, a lot of the signs are multipurpose. Verbal language has a LOT of redundancies. I,me, my, mine are all one sign. There is no verb "to be" that I'm aware of. No sign for to or and.

Yes, ASL is a very different language from signed English. I've never thought about animal sounds, maybe they are fingerspelled? I took ASL in college but don't recall. Now I'm going to ask my ASL friends.

ETA: just read the link above and now I remember learning that!

Edited by Spryte
  • Like 1

If I were trying to indicate that say the dog was barking, I would probably sign DOG TALK, or just DOG while opening and closing my mouth to indicate the barking. I don't know if that's right, but if I needed to get this message to someone, those would be my first thoughts. Facial expression is a big part of ASL. And a lot of signs don't necessarily translate exactly into an English word, they convey meaning. And that meaning can be interpreted differently based on context. 

I and me are a finger pointing to the chest. My and mine would be an open hand with fingers to the chest. Possession gets a flat hand. You, he, she would get a finger point, his, hers, yours gets an open hand. 

And isn't used often, but it does have a sign for when it's needed. Open hand, fingers apart facing the side, pull fingers together as you pull hand backward. 

At least this is how I have learned it, of course there are a lot of regional differences!

• Like 4

I and me are a finger pointing to the chest. My and mine would be an open hand with fingers to the chest. Possession gets a flat hand. You, he, she would get a finger point, his, hers, yours gets an open hand.

And isn't used often, but it does have a sign for when it's needed. Open hand, fingers apart facing the side, pull fingers together as you pull hand backward.

At least this is how I have learned it, of course there are a lot of regional differences!

Thank you for clarifying this! I'm learning this stuff on the fly. I'm sure I'm missing a ton of details.

Thank you for clarifying this! I'm learning this stuff on the fly. I'm sure I'm missing a ton of details.

In my area, there's a local society for deaf children that has a truly awesome program.  You sign up for it, and a pair of deaf instructors comes into your home.  The adult works with the adults in the home, tutoring in ASL.  Meanwhile, the teenager plays with the kids, both taking care of them and giving them an immersion ASL course.

If there's something like that in your area, it's very helpful.  If there isn't...build your own?  You might be able to hire it or barter for it or something.

• Like 1

So who has the hearing problem?

No one. Luna has selective mutism. Some days she speaks, but some days she can't. We don't know why. Today was a bad day.She mostly screamed, but also signed.

Eta: When she does speak, she's not easy to understand. Definitely on the low side of normal. Signing is much easier and clearer.

In my area, there's a local society for deaf children that has a truly awesome program. You sign up for it, and a pair of deaf instructors comes into your home. The adult works with the adults in the home, tutoring in ASL. Meanwhile, the teenager plays with the kids, both taking care of them and giving them an immersion ASL course.

If there's something like that in your area, it's very helpful. If there isn't...build your own? You might be able to hire it or barter for it or something.

We are out in the nowhere. Luna gets speech, physical, and developmental therapies at home and a home teacher. She is doing so well. I am looking for resources for her when she aged out of therapy in December.

This is a good avenue for us to pursue in Phoenix and Tucson.

No one. Luna has selective mutism. Some days she speaks, but some days she can't. We don't know why. Today was a bad day.She mostly screamed, but also signed.

Eta: When she does speak, she's not easy to understand. Definitely on the low side of normal. Signing is much easier and clearer.

Oh! I see. I was confused. How old is she?