Menu

Zillow & the McMansion blog scuffle

Katy

Side topic: Okay, dumb question probably but I've been looking on the blog since this post and haven't figured out the bar for "mansion", McMansion or otherwise. Did I miss it in the FAQ somewhere? I mean some, yeah, are obvious. But some are just regular houses. They definitely aren't mansions of either sort. Is there a land and square footage entry or something or is it rather (attempted) grandiosity. I can't see anything under 8k square feet even attempting at mansion status, Mc or otherwise, particularly if it doesn't have estate level land attached to it. I guess all houses are fair game?

She details it in the posts linked under the McMansion 101 tab. The definition is up for some debate obviously, but it is s good starting point.

You had me until you said jetted tub. Yuck! :001_rolleyes:

Yes, those older building methods really are better. Years ago we were living in Iowa and a tornado hit a small town up north. Parkersburg, maybe? What was striking about it is that in the aerial shots afterwards you could see that all the people in the old homes were fine - they might have taken off the top floor, or even the main floor, but the basements were fine. The old 2x6 diagonal subfloors held together despite high winds, and despite flooring itself being ripped up in a few places. . The newer homes were all leveled, basements exposed, and I may not be remembering it correctly but it seems like a few people who were sheltering in basements were seriously hurt in the newer homes. Apparently the plywood subfloors act like a giant kite in high winds.

We also had a bad windstorm when we lived in Oklahoma. I didn't realize at the time our house had a 2x6 roof instead of a plywood roof. It leaked immediately in the storm, but the roof repair guys said it was much better than a regular roof because wind could get through it without tearing the entire roof off. Apparently several people on our block needed the entire roof replaced after that storm.

That's interesting. I remember being in the Caribbean once, and I thought I'd help out a friend by doing so-called hurricane pruning on a handsome tree -- thinning it out a bit to prevent wind damage. Thank goodness, someone stopped me! He explained that the trees are left thick, because people *want* the wind to damage the tree -- and thus break the force of the wind on the house. Sure enough, I began to notice that all the smaller houses had thick, protective plantings. The old ways ARE often the best, as you say.

• Like 1

I miss the symmetry, quality built-ins and woodwork of traditional manses. I grew up in a post WW2 bungalow that had plenty of space for our family, over 2500 sq. Ft., big for the 80s but all the space was used really well. We are limited to HCOL areas due to DHs job but this is what I want out next house to be. All of the new construction is faux craftsman on tiny lots. 😭

• Like 2

It's funny...I was just talking to my dh about what kind of house I would plop down magically from the sky if I could right this minute.  It would have to happen that way because no one builds the kinds of houses I like anymore.  

I would like a well designed ranch house, or a bungalow or a Denver square.  The first two are increasingly appealing because of the one-level living.  But they used the space so well, had good proportions that could be increased or decreased so they sat well on the property and could be built to most any size.  The ranch house has to be designed so your don't walk smack into the living room or have long skinny hallways.  

But if I had to choose, it would be a bungalow, with a deep, covered front porch that essentially becomes the summer living room.  About 2300 sf with a master br, 3 other "bedrooms"--and a guest cottage out back.  

I've come to the conclusion that I hate houses. This blog is giving me useful fodder for the next time DH insists we go house hunting. I want something that is no more than we absolutely need, close to amenities including public transit. If it was laid out better the townhouse we're in now would be fine, though for health reasons a single story home would probably be better for us long-term.

My mantra is, "I don't want a McMansion in Buckeye."

I just look at those multi-level roofs and think about how much it will cost to replace them in a few years, compared to a typical two-sided, covers-the-whole-house roof.  But with houses, like with clothes and appliances and furniture, people don't shop with maintenance in mind any more (probably in part because many of us don't really know how).

• Like 3

Yes, I've noticed this too.

When we were last looking, I'd see these houses that had some of the amenities or location I wanted, but they would be too expensive, or not have enough of the right kind of space.  And in every case a factor was that they used up a lot of space on things like extra bathrooms, which are expensive square footage.  Or each bedroom would have a walk in closet that put together, would make a whole extra large bedroom.

Orr, they would have all kinds of expensive surface finishes that were faddish, like granite counters, that jacked up the price for a basically modest house.

Yeah, what is it with houses having a crazy amount of bathrooms now? Occasionally when I'm bored I look through real estate listings, and there are a ridiculous number of houses that are five bedrooms/six (or more!) bathrooms. Who in their right mind wants six bathrooms???

• Like 1

Yeah, what is it with houses having a crazy amount of bathrooms now? Occasionally when I'm bored I look through real estate listings, and there are a ridiculous number of houses that are five bedrooms/six (or more!) bathrooms. Who in their right mind wants six bathrooms???

People with someone else to clean them?

• Like 1

People with someone else to clean them?

Even if I did have someone else to clean them, I can't comprehend how I could possibly need six bathrooms. Do people get bored peeing in the same one or two places or something? "Hmm, I think I'd like a view of the garden today while I drop a deuce."

• Like 4

Even if I did have someone else to clean them, I can't comprehend how I could possibly need six bathrooms. Do people get bored peeing in the same one or two places or something? "Hmm, I think I'd like a view of the garden today while I drop a deuce."

The house we are purchasing has a window right at toilet level in the master bath with a direct line to the street and the neighbor. No window covering whatsoever. So, I have no idea what the heck people are doing. I had to pee during the home inspection and I could see my real estate agent walk out to take a call and stand in the driveway. I sort of slunk off the toilet to the floor.

And so many are bigger than my bedroom! Why?!?

So I'm curious if a homeowner, attempting to sell their home, but it appears being ridiculed on McMansion Hell and sellers decide not to buy the house. Would sellers have an interference with contract claim against the blogger? That might be fun law school fodder.

• Like 2

Here's my true confession: ever since I was a little girl, I wanted to have a house with some strange castle features, like turrets and secret rooms. I still think it would be awesome to have a house like that. I even have ideas for a ladder-only accessible turret that only a child or tiny person could access. And I would want some secret room passageways that only cats can traverse. And I want a prayer and meditation room. Just a small closet that is only for personal quiet time for one person, woth a light or something on the outside when it is occupied.

You are not alone! We are currently in the midst or remodel hell (ala "If You Give a Mouse a Cookie") and I have to confess that I have given more mental energy to secret rooms and hidden passages than I have to picking out new flooring and finding a much needed plumber. I might even have a hidden tab on the remodel budget excel document and I might have taken measurements and made sketches.

• Like 3

Well, I have been known to go up or down a full flight of stairs when I need to go in order to avoid using the bathroom that is the responsibility of someone who does not understand what "cleaning" actually means. If I had 6 bathroom cleaning responsibility would be spread out more and I would probably hoof it to the bathroom I or DH clean so I know it is actually clean.

Sheepishly raises hand. Me! (Well we have five if you count full and half, and I clean them myself). I like the extra we have for the pool side of the house and not have people tramping through the main part of the house to slip on the tile. And then so the kids don't have to share with the teenager. But I have that in my old school 70's house so guess people wanted them back then too. At least some people! :)

And I am the person that wants walk in closets. In every bedroom (in my dream house). And huge kids rooms. What I don't get are the whole massive first floors with two story great rooms, huge game rooms, and then miserable 10x10 bedrooms in a 4500 sq ft house. I've seen that a lot here. The closets are almost as big as the bedrooms. But they sell! I love touring model homes. It's interesting seeing what details people care about and which they don't.

What I've noticed from touring model homes is that every bedroom having its own bathroom is a thing. Heaven help the poor kids who have to share a Jack-n-Jill bathroom. 🙄

But, to be honest, if there were one thing I could add to my current home, it would be my own bathroom that I don't have to share with anyone else. So, I guess I get the appeal, but I don't want to clean them all, either!

The house we are purchasing has a window right at toilet level in the master bath with a direct line to the street and the neighbor. No window covering whatsoever. So, I have no idea what the heck people are doing. I had to pee during the home inspection and I could see my real estate agent walk out to take a call and stand in the driveway. I sort of slunk off the toilet to the floor.

Hmmm - any chance the window was put there so there would be symmetry in the house's facade? Because that's the only reason I can even begin to imagine for a street-view potty.

I know we are looking at 4.5 - one with each bedroom (three kids to a room, a guest/MiL suite, and the master bath) and a powder room off the living room.

4.5 sounds like a lot of bathrooms, but for us I think it makes sense, especially if older family members move in.

Edited by Arctic Mama

We are closing on a new house in a week.  The shopping process here was infuriating to me, because while I need room for 7 people, I don't want the mass produced enormity on a postage stamp.  And that's what we have in droves.  They are so much form over function, and weird faux fanciness.

:iagree:  We're also starting to look and need to house 6 full time and 1 part time and all I can find, that's big enough, is cookie cutter quarter acre if you're lucky, and cost $250-$300,000 but hasn't had any updates in 15 years.  The newer ones are WAY outside my price range (sign down the road at a new addition says "look at our budget friendly prices! Starting Low $300's :svengo: .

I've looked in a few of these houses (and currently rent one) and I promise they are barely functional. 

Each house has its perfect number depending on layout. The most ridiculous number I have lived with was 4--the house called for three, really. The 4th was SEVEN FEET away from the 3rd. And the laundry room has been turned into a contortionist's dream to add that 4th. Thank goodness it was a rental.

DH thinks the mark of a current true luxury home is having more bathrooms than bedrooms.  Every floor should have at least one half bath, and every bedroom have an ensuite or jack-and-jill.  This philosophy does result in much less in house bathroom drama, but creates its own, because if a parent doesn't check a bathroom every all sorts of hazardous situations can occur.

• Like 1

Side topic: Okay, dumb question probably but I've been looking on the blog since this post and haven't figured out the bar for "mansion", McMansion or otherwise. Did I miss it in the FAQ somewhere? I mean some, yeah, are obvious. But some are just regular houses. They definitely aren't mansions of either sort. Is there a land and square footage entry or something or is it rather (attempted) grandiosity. I can't see anything under 8k square feet even attempting at mansion status, Mc or otherwise, particularly if it doesn't have estate level land attached to it. I guess all houses are fair game?

She has a page of links here: http://mcmansionhell.com/101  for posts that help explain her differences between mansion and McMansion.

I've always loved Craftsman. My dad grew up in a real Craftsman home. We would go there for family reunions when I was little. What was surprising was the whole house was held up by stacks of bricks!! My grandfather, the mason and my great-grandfather, the carpenter didn't seem the least bit worried about bricks supporting the beams. I can't believe it ever passed inspection. Of course it eventually collapsed in an earthquake. So sad. 

I grew up in a victorian-style farmhouse in SoCal and built in the 80's. (Step-mother is an east coast transplant) I'm actually familiar with that style as well. The one thing I didn't like is the closed off/compartmentalized rooms. They are nice sometimes, but I like the more open transitions/built-in bookcases of Craftsman. 

I think there was a lot of utility in those compartmentalized rooms.  Closing off rooms can be useful when heating and cooling are done without electricity.  And with more people living there, you can cut down noise and get some privacy.  With kitchens there is also naise, smalls, and risk of fire.

• Like 1

I admit that many bathrooms would be my dream home luxury: 2 half-baths, one on the main floor and one in the finished basement. One full bathroom in the master, one in the kids' "pod" (three bedrooms off a shared rec area and attached bathroom), one in a guest bedroom, and one in a "sick room", where people are isolated when they are barfing or hacking so they don't contaminate other areas of the house. So, four full baths and two half baths. And six bedrooms.

Still not more bathrooms than bedrooms.

In the spirit of trying to point out what I do like, as opposed to knocking that which I dislike, I'd like to share the "not so big house" architect, Sarah Susanka, whose work I puffy-heart love, and had I the money, would love to build a house like that.  Her philosophy is that too many people try to maximum square footage per dollar, whereas she tries to maximize utility per square foot.  Check out notsobighouse.com for non-mcmansions.

• Like 5

In the spirit of trying to point out what I do like, as opposed to knocking that which I dislike, I'd like to share the "not so big house" architect, Sarah Susanka, whose work I puffy-heart love, and had I the money, would love to build a house like that. Her philosophy is that too many people try to maximum square footage per dollar, whereas she tries to maximize utility per square foot. Check out notsobighouse.com for non-mcmansions.

I think "not-so-big" must be in the eye of the beholder. Susanka's plans include one 1600

sq. ft. house, which I would consider legitimately not-so-big, a bunch of 2500-3000 sq. ft. houses, which I would consider big, and a few 5000-7000 sq. ft. plans, which I would consider ginormous.

• Like 4

I looked at that blog the last time it was mentioned here on the forum, and I thought it was juvenile and petty. I just checked it again and I feel the same way.

Like them or loathe them, those houses are people's homes and the comments are meanspirited and hurtful, as well as being entirely subjective. Has the author of the blog ever showed photos of her own home for people to pick apart and ridicule?

• Like 5

While we are critiquing houses!  This is the weirdest bit of the house we are buying.  So you walk in the front door, and you HAVE to go across the landing to the stairs.  I have never seen anything like it, and I can't possibly imagine why someone would choose to build it that way.  Every time I step up there I feel like I should give a short speech.  I guess this is where I'll have the kids stand while they recite poetry.  Anyone know WHY this is like this?  Or if this is a thing, and I just don't know?

Edited by Tangerine

I think "not-so-big" must be in the eye of the beholder. Susanka's plans include one 1600

sq. ft. house, which I would consider legitimately not-so-big, a bunch of 2500-3000 sq. ft. houses, which I would consider big, and a few 5000-7000 sq. ft. plans, which I would consider ginormous.

Yes.

I like her houses and I think she is true to her concept, which is useful space.

But she actually doesn't offer much in the way of small homes for families.  And still whole bedrooms worth of bathrooms.

I looked at that blog the last time it was mentioned here on the forum, and I thought it was juvenile and petty. I just checked it again and I feel the same way.

Like them or loathe them, those houses are people's homes and the comments are meanspirited and hurtful, as well as being entirely subjective. Has the author of the blog ever showed photos of her own home for people to pick apart and ridicule?

I'm not sure that I would say they are a matter of opinion.  Her tone is kind of snarky, for sure.

But a lot of what she points out is objectively poor construction, shoddy materials, and even bad design can be more than just opinion.  And there is some really interesting historical information about the history of domestic architecture.

• Like 8

While we are critiquing houses!  This is the weirdest bit of the house we are buying.  So you walk in the front door, and you HAVE to go across the landing to the stairs.  I have never seen anything like it, and I can't possibly imagine why someone would choose to build it that way.  Every time I step up there I feel like I should give a short speech.  I guess this is where I'll have the kids stand while they recite poetry.  Anyone know WHY this is like this?  Or if this is a thing, and I just don't know?

Looks like they ran out of room to have a code-compliant turn.

• Like 2

They didn't have enough space for a proper entry.

• Like 1

Hmmm - any chance the window was put there so there would be symmetry in the house's facade? Because that's the only reason I can even begin to imagine for a street-view potty.

Well I suppose that left side addition would look funny with no window at all, and to it's credit, the window style matches the others. So yeah, I'm going with it being there for the sake of outward appearance of the house rather than function!

• Like 1

It almost looks like a wall was knocked out to open it up to both rooms, and the landing was already there. It's probably not what happened, but I know someone who owned two apartments next to one another and opened it up to make one big apartment. Her stairs had a similar weird landing. That's probably why I thought of it. If I hadn't seen something like it before I doubt I'd have thought of that as a reason.

Speaking of weird, our house had a weirdly placed closet in the entryway. When you walked in the front door you had to go around the closet, which stuck out in the foyer. Around the closet leads to the family room and the hallway to the bedrooms. To the left of the foyer is a formal (what would have been a formal) living room. We did extensive renovations when we bought the house, and my brother who is in construction did the work. I hated the idea of giving up a closet, so he was able to knock it out and rebuild it so it's partly in the living room (a big enough room to give up a few feet for closet space). I wish I had a photo. It was just weird that when you walked in the front door you'd be standing in front of a wall that was the outside of the closet, then had a small space to go around it to get to the rest of the house (too small for 2 people to walk abreast). 

ETA: Our house isn't a McMansion. It just had some odd floor plans that thankfully we were able to fix without having to worry about weight bearing walls.

Edited by Lady Florida.

I'm not sure that I would say they are a matter of opinion. Her tone is kind of snarky, for sure.

But a lot of what she points out is objectively poor construction, shoddy materials, and even bad design can be more than just opinion. And there is some really interesting historical information about the history of domestic architecture.

She is way beyond snarky.

She insults people's furniture, draperies, and wall coverings.

That blog seems to be primarily geared toward people who like to ridicule other people's homes. Often, her commentary on poor construction seems to be nothing more than an afterthought; most of her observations seem to be based on her own personal taste -- and considering that the author is a 23 year-old grad student, she's hardly an experienced, world class authority on architecture, interior design and construction.

The author is entitled to her opinions and people can certainly agree with her and enjoy making fun of others' homes, but I don't think she should be viewed as some sort of expert.

(Edited for typo!)

Edited by Catwoman
  • Like 8

Her ideas are more about thoughtful utilization of space for how we really live than actual size. We are building our next place with her principles in mind and it's still going to be a 4200-ish square foot home, with not an inch of wasted space. It's about thoughtful and intentional design, useful storage, layouts that make sense for a family's needs, keeping design to a human scale and not going big just for the sake of it.

The title can be a little misleading but most people do find they reduce their overall square footage needs from where they think they are by increasing the utility, layout and feel of the space. Quality over quantity. But obviously quantity still matters, especially for people who have home businesses, lot of family members, or a lifestyle that necessitates some specific and large spaces like a shop or even therapy room.

I can't recommend her books highly enough. We were able to reduce our planned out square footage from 7000-ish just by finding different layouts, planning very intentionally each cabinet and built in, and figuring out a flow that made the floor plan feel bigger without it actually needing to BE bigger.

More modifications will be coming before we break ground but I am really tempted to blog the whole house designing and building process to show what we thought about and why in terms of design, construction, and materials choices. Susanka's work and architects like her have been absolutely critical in clarifying my own thoughts and helping me really think through what we need and why. And it looks a lot different than I thought it did when I began the process :D

Edited by Arctic Mama

While we are critiquing houses! This is the weirdest bit of the house we are buying. So you walk in the front door, and you HAVE to go across the landing to the stairs. I have never seen anything like it, and I can't possibly imagine why someone would choose to build it that way. Every time I step up there I feel like I should give a short speech. I guess this is where I'll have the kids stand while they recite poetry. Anyone know WHY this is like this? Or if this is a thing, and I just don't know?

Ha. What *likely* happened is that they had a poor design where they made the ceilings too tall for the width of that room and they couldn't get the stairs in at the legal steepness and reach the floor, so they had to add a landing. They most likely took existing floor plans and added 9 or 10 foot ceilings and that threw off the staircase height when they didn't also add width to compensate.

Edited by Arctic Mama

More modifications will be coming before we break ground but I am really tempted to blog the whole house designing and building process to show what we thought about and why in terms of design, construction, and materials choices. Susanka's work and architects like her have been absolutely critical in clarifying my own thoughts and helping me really think through what we need and why. And it looks a lot different than I thought it did when I began the process :D

Please do!

• Like 3

The name "not-so-big" is a bit unfortunate.  Perhaps "purpose-built" is a better idea.  I would say that her ideas are that if you can afford a custom built house, you should also be able to afford a custom architect who can design it according to your needs.  i.e. If you are the sort of family who never ever uses a formal dining room, perhaps your house doesn't need one.  If you need a quiet place to read in a room where you can still see young kids playing, but maybe not hear every squeal, perhaps you could use an "away room".  etc.

• Like 1

Looks like they ran out of room to have a code-compliant turn.

They didn't have enough space for a proper entry.

It almost looks like a wall was knocked out to open it up to both rooms, and the landing was already there. It's probably not what happened, but I know someone who owned two apartments next to one another and opened it up to make one big apartment. Her stairs had a similar weird landing. That's probably why I thought of it. If I hadn't seen something like it before I doubt I'd have thought of that as a reason.

Ha. What *likely* happened is that they had a poor design where they made the ceilings too tall for the width of that room and they couldn't get the stairs in at the legal steepness and reach the floor, so they had to add a landing. They most likely took existing floor plans and added 9 or 10 foot ceilings and that threw off the staircase height when they didn't also add width to compensate.

Thanks!  I love that you all have ideas, because my general assessment was, "Huh.  That's weird."

Here's my true confession: ever since I was a little girl, I wanted to have a house with some strange castle features, like turrets and secret rooms. I still think it would be awesome to have a house like that. I even have ideas for a ladder-only accessible turret that only a child or tiny person could access. And I would want some secret room passageways that only cats can traverse. And I want a prayer and meditation room. Just a small closet that is only for personal quiet time for one person, woth a light or something on the outside when it is occupied.

I used to work in this building

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=edgecliff&safe=off&client=ms-android-google&prmd=mniv&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjZu4PhnvnUAhWKYVAKHXWaAA8Q_AUICygD&biw=412&bih=604&dpr=2.63#safe=off&tbm=isch&q=edgecliff+st+andrews

• Like 3

I like McMansion Hell. I don't know a thing about architecture but I love beautiful buildings and spending time on that site made me start to notice things that might not be so great. She also has a post about what makes good architecture. I'm not saying it's a complete education in architecture, but it's a nice jumping off point to start thinking and looking and noticing things about buildings. :) It isn't some kind of crime to point out bad design. I would argue that pointing out bad design and talking about what makes good design is a public service and gets more people thinking about it and choosing good design when is a general topic about more than just aesthetics.

Thanks for posting this story, I do love when a big company tries to be the bully and fails. :laugh:

• Like 4

My resident architect looked at your picture and immediately said, "There wasn't room for the run of the stairs, so they jammed them in and turned them." Those stairs are already steeper than normal, so I think he's right!

• Like 2

For Quill,

My grandparents had a boatslip on this lake across from this house.  As a kid I watched it being constructed while we played at the lake and dreamed of living in it. And hey, it's for sale right now.  Just gotta scrape together a cool $7.8.

It looks and sounds romantic, but many of the people in the neighborhood were not please because it is quite a...dramatic...house compared to most in the neighborhood (which is contrary to the way the article portrays the attitude about it).  Weatherby lake itself is a really small lake, so the house REALLY stands out.  And I remember hearing at one point that it was sort of sliding towards the lake so they had to do some fortification.

Anyway, it's a neat place.  I think some of my more adventurous relatives did some "self-touring" of the construction site. And the guy did not cheap out on the construction in anyway, so I don't think it falls into the McMansion category even if it is ostentatious.

• Like 1

In the spirit of trying to point out what I do like, as opposed to knocking that which I dislike, I'd like to share the "not so big house" architect, Sarah Susanka, whose work I puffy-heart love, and had I the money, would love to build a house like that.  Her philosophy is that too many people try to maximum square footage per dollar, whereas she tries to maximize utility per square foot.  Check out notsobighouse.com for non-mcmansions.

I must admit I do like her designs.  I like to look at them and determine take-aways to try in a house built for a hot, humid environment with slab foundations, and mostly single-story with age-in-place accessibility.