Menu

Moving Beyond the Page 10-12 for 6th grade. Experience?

It's time for my annual flirtation with a packaged program for my younger dd.  This year, I'm learning more heavily toward this path: my work schedule has gotten more hectic, and dd14's chronic health problems/doctor visits/physical therapy are sucking up a lot of the rest of my time. I need dd11 to have something pretty open-and-go to work on on a daily basis. I'll still be involved (obviously) but I think we'd both benefit from an external checklist, keeping us on track, setting the pace, and doing most of the planning for me.

So . . . I'm wondering who has used Moving Beyond the Page? I'm looking at the 10-12 lessons for 6th grade. It actually looks really perfect for dd, and really easy to implement. I'd love to hear about specific experiences, good or bad, pros & cons, and did you feel like it was a complete curriculum (we'd be doing MM6 alongside).

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I've tried it.  We used Poetry and Fifty States.

Lessons are supposed to be completed in one day.  They cram a LOT into one lesson.  For example, read the ENTIRE poetry book today.  It felt very rushed with little time to reflect on the material.   And the whole, "Well, this is for gifted kids" line doesn't fly.  Speaking as a former gifted kid, even we need time to think, reflect, create and interact with ideas.  Used as written, it's "shove the information down the gullet and regurgitate it out."  Blech.

If we were to use it again I'd plan to do one or two lessons per week and stretch things out.  That would improve it immensely.  

I've tried it.  We used Poetry and Fifty States.

Lessons are supposed to be completed in one day.  They cram a LOT into one lesson.  For example, read the ENTIRE poetry book today.  It felt very rushed with little time to reflect on the material.   And the whole, "Well, this is for gifted kids" line doesn't fly.  Speaking as a former gifted kid, even we need time to think, reflect, create and interact with ideas.  Used as written, it's "shove the information down the gullet and regurgitate it out."  Blech.

If we were to use it again I'd plan to do one or two lessons per week and stretch things out.  That would improve it immensely.  

Which means you can save money because you can take 75% of a year (or less) and call that a year. :-)

Chrysalis, given your reasoning, I think something like this may be great for you. I told you how it didn't work for us, but you might be able to make it happen. I would make sure to have time for talking about it - maybe on some of the drives to PTs etc.? Also, give yourself a week in summer to get together all the supplies, or even go through manuals to cross out activities to leave out.

I had a really hard time with my kids doing a diorama about a book (I think it was from here, but maybe not) and I had to sit back and realize they were learning a lot even though it was a different way of interacting with material. So you'll have to look at learning in a very different way than the classical way when/if you cross out extra activities.

Emily