Menu

Dogs & Fireworks

Slache

Certainly wish that worked, but I guess mine hears too well.  They are selling some powerful fireworks here, because it sounds like mortar shells exploding over the house.  It's been four nights in a row and I'm praying tonight is the last.

The bathroom seems to work for a small subset of dogs. Most of those seem to find comfort in being in the tub/shower enclosure. But IME there isn't any one solution to noise phobia that works for all dogs. If there was  . . . well, it wouldn't be such a big issue.

• Like 2

Ours wouldn't tolerate that. He has to be with his people. He gets mad at a noise and barks out the window and barks at us as if saying "Cut that out!" Yesterday, our town had their fireworks display. The Rescue Remedy didn't work all that well, so I did some nosework to keep him occupied. We hide treats and have him find them. Then I was rewarding him for going to spot. Then I put some peanut butter in a Kong. Although the municipal fireworks were only 25 minutes long, the backyard (illegal in our state) went on until about midnight.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

Mine really doesn't seem to mind them at all. She's mostly coonhound, so maybe it's in her blood not to fear gunfire?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Some dogs aren't bothered by fireworks (or thunder). The current pooch is snoring beside me on the bed while fireworks are going off outside. He doesn't care one bit. And I'm very, very thankful! I've had dogs who would panic during fireworks or a thunderstorm. Not fun for them or their people.

I suppose we could try closing our chihuahua up in the pantry, but honestly, I'd rather just hug the poor baby.

The idea is that they wouldn't be bothered by the sound and therefore not need comforting. My old dog always just went to sleep.

Mine really doesn't seem to mind them at all. She's mostly coonhound, so maybe it's in her blood not to fear gunfire?

Our beagle mix doesn't mind them at all either.

Our shepherd mix we use to have didn't like them, but if he was right with us or under a table he was fine.

It's the first 4th of July for our 7 month old puppy. She did great tonight, and we live less than a mile from the major fireworks display put on by my city. I was worried about how she would do, but she happily chewed on her Kong and then fell asleep.

• Like 2

Our spaniel/retriever mix had the worst night of his life last night.  Poor guy.  Nothing helps him.  We found him stuck trying to wedge himself under a bed (he was too fat to get under in normal circumstances but boy did he give it his all).  The rest of the time he was shaking, drooling, and had his ears pinned back the entire night on the sofa snuggling up behind me or in my lap.

Our Lab would tear the door down in a panic if we tried that with him.  Poor Captain, the last few days have been awful for him (jerks set off random odd KABOOMS for days before and after the Fourth around here).  Unlike prior years, though, lucky us the stress has melted his bowels, and the kitchen floor has had to be cleaned and sanitized several times now (he can't even be dragged outside to poop once dusk falls).  Hubby wonders this morning if Captain is still nervous since he can detect the gunpowder scent even when the kabooms cease.

Next year I am getting doggie chill pills in advance from the vet.

Edited by JFSinIL

My hound mix doesn't mind the fireworks at all. 😎🎇🇺🇸

Tracker was fine with the neighborhood ones. But we took him with us to see the municipal ones and he didn't like those!He tried to convince me we should leave (after all, the SKY IS ON FIRE!!!!) but then just laid down under my camp chair. I had his head pressing into my butt the whole time, lol. But no shaking or anything. 

• Like 1

Our spaniel/retriever mix had the worst night of his life last night. Poor guy. Nothing helps him. We found him stuck trying to wedge himself under a bed (he was too fat to get under in normal circumstances but boy did he give it his all). The rest of the time he was shaking, drooling, and had his ears pinned back the entire night on the sofa snuggling up behind me or in my lap.

I am so sorry! Can you talk to your vet about treatment from now on?
  • Like 2

My beagle mix loves to bark at fireworks. Not afraid of them at all. He is such a pleasure during firework times.

Through the years, my German Shepherds and Labs tolerated fireworks. They didn't like them, but as long as I was okay, they were, too. The bathroom idea would work for them most likely--if they couldn't be with me.

My border collie tried to leave the planet every time something popped. It got to where someone slamming a car door would set her off. We had to have a sturdy crate, a fan, and a loud radio to help her. That is if we caught her before the first pops. It was all internal wiring--no amount of conditioning would help that poor dog.

I am so sorry! Can you talk to your vet about treatment from now on?

We have.  He is on phenobarbital for seizures and I believe the anti anxiety meds do not mix with that.  When we lived in VA he was sort of content to go into the basement and hang out there (not ideal but better than nothing) but now we live in FL and there is no basement.  When we first moved here, every time there was thunder he would try to nose open the coat closet, thinking that was the way to the basement.  Poor guy.

I really don't think there's any breed correlation with fear/no fear of fireworks. I think it's just an individual dog thing, and maybe somewhat correlated to positive exposure to loud noises as a puppy. But the most afraid dog I've ever known was a very well bred GSD who was a professionally trained (by a very reputable source) as a guard dog. Think police dog or the type of dog that would be used by reputable private security agencies or wealthy people to guard their homes. I'm sure he passed some sort of gun training, but the phobia developed over time. When I first met him he was several years old and it was BAD. And I've known many hunting/sporting breeds who were almost as terrified.

Ours was bothered the first night but I consoled her and petted her and talked to her, and I was surprised she wasn't bothered at all the next couple of nights.

But she would have yelped and barked confined in a bathroom.

We have.  He is on phenobarbital for seizures and I believe the anti anxiety meds do not mix with that.  When we lived in VA he was sort of content to go into the basement and hang out there (not ideal but better than nothing) but now we live in FL and there is no basement.  When we first moved here, every time there was thunder he would try to nose open the coat closet, thinking that was the way to the basement.  Poor guy.

Valium is used to stop seizures, and helps with anxiety, so I'd think it would be fine. We often had dogs with anxiety at the groomer take valium pre grooming to prevent seizures. Stress can cause seizures so I'd look into it. 

• Like 2

Ours came to the town firework show with us, and she was fine. Seemed entranced by the lights. But she's generally not spooked by loud noises. But leaving her alone, that's another issue. She was fine at home, but has been terrible about it on vacation.

I have known hunting dogs who have had the same gun conditioning as "normal " hunting dogs who are terrified of fireworks and gun sounds. It's not as simple as telling people to condition their dogs.

Fortunately our dog has been getting better but it has been due to keeping her with us, reassuring her, and giving her melatonin to take the edge off. But I don't think that is a one-size/fits-all fix.

• Like 1

I really don't think there's any breed correlation with fear/no fear of fireworks. I think it's just an individual dog thing, and maybe somewhat correlated to positive exposure to loud noises as a puppy. But the most afraid dog I've ever known was a very well bred GSD who was a professionally trained (by a very reputable source) as a guard dog. Think police dog or the type of dog that would be used by reputable private security agencies or wealthy people to guard their homes. I'm sure he passed some sort of gun training, but the phobia developed over time. When I first met him he was several years old and it was BAD. And I've known many hunting/sporting breeds who were almost as terrified.

If anything it seems the hunting breeds are MORE prone to it. Labs and golden make up most of the ones I've known. 

• Like 1

Our Sheltie was terrified of loud noises, including fireworks and thunder. When you live in Florida, having a dog who is afraid of thunder is quite a challenge. We do have a bathroom with no windows and a fan but never tried that when he was alive. I don't know if it would have helped. He loved his humans so much that he would have been devastated to be put in the bathroom, even if it did block out the noise. It sounds like a good idea for some dogs though.

• Like 1

Our Sheltie was terrified of loud noises, including fireworks and thunder. When you live in Florida, having a dog who is afraid of thunder is quite a challenge. We do have a bathroom with no windows and a fan but never tried that when he was alive. I don't know if it would have helped. He loved his humans so much that he would have been devastated to be put in the bathroom, even if it did block out the noise. It sounds like a good idea for some dogs though.

Yes, my dog is afraid of thunder.  Thunder is worse because she can hear thunder (or possibly detect barometric changes?) that we cannot.  But we see her panting and following us and check the weather report and sure enough there is thunder somewhere in the area even if we can't hear it yet. 

• Like 1

Yes, my dog is afraid of thunder.  Thunder is worse because she can hear thunder (or possibly detect barometric changes?) that we cannot.  But we see her panting and following us and check the weather report and sure enough there is thunder somewhere in the area even if we can't hear it yet. 

Yup, we called dear departed Tara the "barometric dogometer". She always knew when the storms were coming. Better than the weather report!

Xanax, if given early enough, did help. Especially the time I gave it along with pepcid, not knowing that pepcid potentiates Xanax. (or maybe it was prilosec..I forget). Oops. She was drooling on herself and SO high, lol. But xanax alone just took the edge off. 

• Like 1

My chihuahua mix was completely unphased, but I got to listen to all the neighborhood dogs all night!

The only thing that makes my dog is insane is my dd returning from being gone more than 30 minutes. You would think the sky *was on fire for all of his barking and howling!

Last night was the 7th night in a row, but it was lighter.  I hope that everyone has used up their leftover fireworks!  She hasn't eaten in three days.

As someone who has gone through this for years, a few comments that might help others:

-Conditioning didn't seem to help.  Ds listened to thunderstorm CDs every night to sleep, and we have plenty of natural ones.  The fear gradually got worse.  Once fireworks became legal, that first weekend was hell.  They were out back and someone shot one in the street in front which they saw over the house.  It was all over then.

-Xanax worked for the older dog.  Doesn't work as well for the younger.  She may be unique, but it causes her to eat not-food things.  The first time she went grazing in a crate of hot pad loops.  Fortunately we didn't need surgery.  We have to watch her like a hawk if she takes it, but it doesn't help enough to be worth the trouble. (I really wish it made her eat food!)

-She broke out in hives a few days ago and the benadryl seemed to calm her a bit.  We're going to the vet today and I'm going to ask if it is an option.

-Shirts don't seem to work, but the idea of weighted blankets seems to.  Layering lots of towels on her until she is weighted down stops the pacing as long as I don't move from her side. Unfortunately our area loves their fireworks, and I have to pee sometimes (and do other things!)  I didn't know until I moved here that fireworks are used for graduation parties (that was a long week), Memorial Day, Columbus Day, etc...oops...venting again!