Menu

Math Curriculum For Mom That Isn't Good At Math

faiths13

I need to chose a math curriculum for my boys going in to 2nd and 4th. They have done Saxon at a private school for two years. I am not sure if I should stick with it, as I have never used it. I have used a variety of other curriculum with my older two, and I had a very hard  time finding something I could actually help them with. I thought about TT, but I don't think it will be a good fit, because I tried a sample lesson and my son was just clicking any button for the answer and clicking through. I think he will just play around on the computer. The youngest does better at math, but both feel they are very poor at math and dislike it.

I agree with CLE as a possible good fit. Have them take a placement test. The first light unit of each level is a review of the year prior, and is unlike the other light units in the level. You might be able to skip it, and definitely don't judge the program from that first unit.

I think CLE benefits from the addition of Singapore FAN Math Process Skills and Problem Solving books. You could start young, telling them they are just learning how to think about problems in the Singapore way. CLE is weak in word problems, and the FAN books are fantastic. They are small enough to use for a supplement.  

• Like 2

I would work on becoming a good math teacher, regardless of what curriculum you choose.

Knowing and Teaching Elementary Mathematics by Liping Ma is a good place to start. Grade school math is just arithmetic, but understanding concepts can help you to help your kids.

I have learned so much from using Right Start to teach my kids math, though I'm not sure that would be a great choice to jump into the middle with.

Edited by ScoutTN
  • Like 4

We liked CLE for 4th. It's very good at clearly explaining the concept-even for this not so mathy mom. Another option is BJU. It's really scripted-all there for you. There is also a distance learning option where a teacher teaches the lesson. Another great option if you're unsure of yourself.

• Like 1

, but both feel they are very poor at math and dislike it.

Gently, I would remediate my own math education and improve my own self-confidence with math (and certainly never say aloud that I'm not good at math or don't like it) in front of my kids. A fear or dislike of math doesn't have to be passed onto your students! If you aren't willing or able to learn math/learn to enjoy it, homeschooling may not be a great idea. Using Math Mammoth (and the Right Start abacus), I re-learned elementary math before I taught my girls. I now consider myself mathy and really enjoy 'playing' math with my kids. I can't think of anything more important than that attitude change. Best of luck to you. It isn't easy, but it will be worth it.

• Like 8

Primary Digital is an online Singapore math program. I would honestly have them start over at level one. After 5-6 years of Singapore math some students are ready for pre algebra or algebra, so they might not be that far behind at that point.

You can be a great homeschool parent without being good at math! 🙂

Gently, I would remediate my own math education and improve my own self-confidence with math (and certainly never say aloud that I'm not good at math or don't like it) in front of my kids. A fear or dislike of math doesn't have to be passed onto your students! If you aren't willing or able to learn math/learn to enjoy it, homeschooling may not be a great idea. Using Math Mammoth (and the Right Start abacus), I re-learned elementary math before I taught my girls. I now consider myself mathy and really enjoy 'playing' math with my kids. I can't think of anything more important than that attitude change. Best of luck to you. It isn't easy, but it will be worth it.

You can outsource a subject and homeschool successfully. I certainly don't think you need to be good at and/or like math to homeschool. Having a grasp and understanding on a subject isn't always enjoyable. In college I naturally gravitated to a non-Mathy career because I simply don't enjoy science or math. I just went toward my passions and interests in human services and social work, that's what I love. As a homeschool mom I think learning alongside your children is optimal but sometimes you may need to outsource a subject, and that's totally fine. My daughter is in Honors Math in public high school. If she were to come back home, I'd have to either find a curriculum that teaches to the student or hire a tutor. Her understanding in Math is beyond my ability & the frustration I would feel trying to figure out her lessons would suck the joy out of me.

• Like 2

When I first started homeschooling I was absolutely horrible at math. I had my husband who is very "mathy" help me pick out our math curriculum. Math-U-See fit the bill for both of us. The way it explained things was exactly the way my dh thinks. Plus, on the videos Mr. Demme explains things so well that it made it very easy for me to understand and reteach, if necessary. I am a visual learner and having someone actually show me what to do has been priceless through the years. Now, on my third time through, I can say I am confident with my math skills.

I was very worried about math and went with Math In Focus. I was really worried about teaching Asian style math which is so different from what I was taught when I didn't even do well in math, but MIF makes teaching it so easy. I have read that Singapore skips steps that can make it confusing whereas MIF has everything laid out step by step.

• Like 2

You can outsource a subject and homeschool successfully. I certainly don't think you need to be good at and/or like math to homeschool. Having a grasp and understanding on a subject isn't always enjoyable. In college I naturally gravitated to a non-Mathy career because I simply don't enjoy science or math. I just went toward my passions and interests in human services and social work, that's what I love. As a homeschool mom I think learning alongside your children is optimal but sometimes you may need to outsource a subject, and that's totally fine. My daughter is in Honors Math in public high school. If she were to come back home, I'd have to either find a curriculum that teaches to the student or hire a tutor. Her understanding in Math is beyond my ability & the frustration I would feel trying to figure out her lessons would suck the joy out of me.

This is a good point-- the problem with negative parental attitudes toward math is not specific to homeschoolers, and has been well-documented among populations of school children. And, interestingly, in the U.S. at least many elementary school teachers seem to hold negative views of their own mathematical ability, so while I liked the spirit of "first, change your attitude toward math!" I'm glad you pointed out that it's going too far to say you shouldn't homeschool if you can't make yourself like math. You can. (But seriously, I think it's just as easy to at the very least come to feel comfortable with elementary math, which I think of as analogous to elementary-level decoding skills.)

(Oh, and if you think you're bad at math or just don't like it, I highly recommend navigating around the site I linked above. Jo Boaler is intent on changing your mind, and your kids'! She's a really good starting point, and I have my kids watch her "For Students" videos whenever they're feeling discouraged.)

• Like 4

This is a good point-- the problem with negative parental attitudes toward math is not specific to homeschoolers, and has been well-documented among populations of school children. And, interestingly, in the U.S. at least many elementary school teachers seem to hold negative views of their own mathematical ability, so while I liked the spirit of "first, change your attitude toward math!" I'm glad you pointed out that it's going too far to say you shouldn't homeschool if you can't make yourself like math. You can. (But seriously, I think it's just as easy to at the very least come to feel comfortable with elementary math, which I think of as analogous to elementary-level decoding skills.)

(Oh, and if you think you're bad at math or just don't like it, I highly recommend navigating around the site I linked above. Jo Boaler is intent on changing your mind, and your kids'! She's a really good starting point, and I have my kids watch her "For Students" videos whenever they're feeling discouraged.)

Yes, I just didn't want the OP to think being weak in math was a reason to feel ill-equipped to homeschool. I think trying find a good curriculum, online class, tutor, etc. that fits a parent's (or student's) weakness is approaching it with a positive and realistic attitude. It's the same with writing, grammar, a foreign language, etc. Our own limitations and strengths will vary, and I don't think as homeschool moms we need to be proficient in all subjects to successfully teach our children at home.

• Like 2

I was very worried about math and went with Math In Focus. I was really worried about teaching Asian style math which is so different from what I was taught when I didn't even do well in math, but MIF makes teaching it so easy. I have read that Singapore skips steps that can make it confusing whereas MIF has everything laid out step by step.

MIF is not my favorite, but I have to agree. If you need handholding, those MIF teacher's books are the ticket!

When they are done, I think Rays For Today will also be a great option for similar circumstances, but it's definitely not done.

Oh, heavens yes! Outsourcing is perfectly fine, especially at the high school level. But OP was asking about 2nd and 4th grade math! IMHO, that's way too early to declare someone not good at/not a fan of math. If you start outsourcing math in 2nd grade, you better have deep pockets if you intend to homeschool for long.
  • Like 5