Menu

Hostess fatigue (college kid content)

Seasider

You have to know I love my kids. And I love their friends. But the summertime of revolving door visitors is wearing me out.

Am I the only one?

I'm also conjuring up thoughts of "you want all the freedom of being an adult PLUS all the benefits of being a live-at-home child??" but will save that topic for another time. Unless you want to sympathize with me on that, too.

• Like 12

Yup yup yup. That No Man's land of in between. Maybe it's for another post.

But I get hostess fatigue too, from time to time and know what you mean. Love ya guys. Now go buy and then grill your own burgers. Tell ya what--you can use my grill.

You have to know I love my kids. And I love their friends. But the summertime of revolving door visitors is wearing me out.

Am I the only one?

I'm also conjuring up thoughts of "you want all the freedom of being an adult PLUS all the benefits of being a live-at-home child??" but will save that topic for another time. Unless you want to sympathize with me on that, too.

That is all my oldest ever wanted. To have the privileges of an adult but none of the responsibilities. It is really hard. 

• Like 2

I get hostess fatigue too, but honestly I am happy to see them get some respite between the grueling years in college.  Those years are often some of the funnest in someones life, but are also some of the hardest mentally.  I am happy to see them enjoy the freedom of adulthood and the perks that go with it, before they start the next stage of careers, family and mortgages. They are old enough for me to say there is xyz in the fridge, help yourself...and I have almost zero pressure to do much else. I thoroughly enjoy watching my teens/twenty-somethings and their friends. They are hilarious and so optimistic about the future..  I absolutely love the positive energy of these years. I would be really sad if they didn't come around. 

• Like 6

I'm glad y'all understand. I do love them and love having them around. It's just tiring, mentally and physically.

I know summer is weird for them, too. Because they go away and live in their college towns, they've got a foot in each "home" now. I remember that being a weird phase of life - like, which place is really "home"? So I am trying to bear with it all. I imagine I have just been spoiled by the fact that during the school year, I have free reign over fridge space and the laundry room! So I really shouldn't complain. But I really am tired!

Edited by Seasider
  • Like 1

Everyone told me that was where my fatigie came from too. I almost died. Turns out my body can't process folic acid. Guess what prenatal vitamins are full of? Then it was added to the food supply here in the U.S.. I have been folic acid free for a few years now, I take methylcobalamin, and I have energy. Its great notbeing fatigued. My college kid is at his summer job, and I am looking forward to his return. Unfortunately he wants to nest, while I want to bike, but we will compromise. I hope you get some energy so you can enjoy.

Everyone told me that was where my fatigie came from too. I almost died. Turns out my body can't process folic acid. Guess what prenatal vitamins are full of? Then it was added to the food supply here in the U.S.. I have been folic acid free for a few years now, I take methylcobalamin, and I have energy. Its great notbeing fatigued. My college kid is at his summer job, and I am looking forward to his return. Unfortunately he wants to nest, while I want to bike, but we will compromise. I hope you get some energy so you can enjoy.

Yikes! I'm glad you got a diagnosis!

I'll be fine as long as I get a chance to catch up on my sleep, but I am notorious for being a night owl. I think my mind and body crave a certain amount of daily quiet time and I stay up later than everyone else to get that fix. I need to break that habit, or maybe I just won't set the alarm and try to sleep in tomorrow. I think I'll also start to write out our schedule for the next year. Having a routine to look forward to when the older ones take off should be energizing.

• Like 1