Menu

What color would you paint this accent wall?

sassenach

This wall is making me crazy. I do not like the red. The green is staying. It's not my absolute favorite, but I lived with a pink kitchen for 7 years because I never felt like repainting, so there's zero chance that I am going to repaint our entire living room and kitchen. 

19657441_697644360420555_660958727348239

19732293_697644357087222_906738570367121

At first I was leaning toward a deep purple like BM shadow (color of the year). Then I had a flashback of all of the early 90's green and purple and now I can't unremember that. It's off the table.

Then I was thinking a chocolate brown. But I don't think it will look great with the cherry wood piano. And it's boring.

I've toyed with deep gray, but I feel the same as brown about it.

I've considered an earthy yellow, but I don't like it enough to make it an accent wall. 

I'm now thinking a deep navy blue. Maybe Hale Navy?

My family is tired of talking with me about paint colors. I think I scarred my dh for life with my angst over choosing a bedroom color (4 samples later I settled on Edgecomb Gray and I love it). 

If color is your thing, I would love some input!

Do you really *want* an accent wall?  One thing is that most darker colors are going to "hide" the piano.  You might want that.  But I think it is a pretty piano. 

What about doing a darker shade of the same green?  I think that is such a pretty color!  And green tends to be relaxing.  

ETA:  I just noticed the cabinets along the left side.  We had cabs a similar color in a living room wall and kitchen of our beach house.  We painted the area a nice yellow...it had some chops but it was NOT lemony or anything.  Like a butter yellow.  It made those cabinets really shine.  It would have to be the right color to go with the green, but it might be really nice.  Our beach house had a green in it that was too minty--after awhile I felt like I lived inside a peppermint--and we looked at doing the yellow with a sage green wall around the fireplace but then we just got tired and did the whole room yellow.  :0)

Dh likes accent walls. I could personally live without them, but he said he doesn't care what color but he would like to keep the accent.

Practically, the accented part has texture but the entire kitchen is untextured. The accent helps with the transition.

A darker gray green is a good idea.

Do you really *want* an accent wall?  One thing is that most darker colors are going to "hide" the piano.  You might want that.  But I think it is a pretty piano. 

What about doing a darker shade of the same green?  I think that is such a pretty color!  And green tends to be relaxing.  

ETA:  I just noticed the cabinets along the left side.  We had cabs a similar color in a living room wall and kitchen of our beach house.  We painted the area a nice yellow...it had some chops but it was NOT lemony or anything.  Like a butter yellow.  It made those cabinets really shine.  It would have to be the right color to go with the green, but it might be really nice.  Our beach house had a green in it that was too minty--after awhile I felt like I lived inside a peppermint--and we looked at doing the yellow with a sage green wall around the fireplace but then we just got tired and did the whole room yellow.  :0)

That's another thing- the existing cabinets are all that yellow-y pine color, but our table is, as you can see, black and cherry. And the piano is cherry. It's all a little clashy right now, but I'm not sure there's anything we can do about it in the near future.

I don't think wood colors clash with anything.  I've been in houses where the designer went ALL birch or ALL cherry or ALL walnut or ALL oak and it is confusing to me.  When the floor and the table are the same color/wood, I don't know where to eat.  :0) Or put my feet.  :0). With wood, I like at least a little variety--probably not distressed hickory with polished mahogany but you get the drift.  

Black is a neutral, but it probably needs a strong color to keep it from looking like a black hole and to put balance in the room.  (I have the same issues in my house.). 

Our pine cabinets looked pretty cheap with the old paint on them.  But that yellow just popped them.  It was wonderful.  I hope you find the right color that makes all the transitions work and pleases you and DH.  :0)

I'm not a fan of accents walls of hugely different colours, like that red wall. I'd be painting it, too. I'd probably just paint it the same colour as the other walls, or something soft to match the existing colour. 

All the wood being different colours would provide various accents and variety themselves. I like it.

• Like 1

In case some creamy color is still on the table, you could try "Amberwove."

I usually avoid yellowish hues but this one is not really yellow but a warm creamy beige tone. The sample of course always looks slightly different than the wall. Our Amberwove blended well with pine ceiling and lighter wood like birch but would also offset your piano.

http://www.myperfectcolor.com/en/color/29607_Valspar-264A-2-Amberwove

Edited by Liz CA
  • Like 4

A very instructive video related to choosing colors.  :0)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ZwOGVWqHAw

From a wonderful movie, Cary Grant and Myrna Loy, "Mr Blandings Builds His Dream House".    The cut is 2 minutes long

One of my favorite movies, especially the scene when the guy drills for the well. This hit home to us because we once had well issues related to depth. :)

I'd go with a deeper version of what is on the other walls personally.  Or maybe the deep blue tones that they are showing now.  I'm not a fan of really contrasting colors and tend to like more neutral soothing walls with furniture and such being the pop of color so take it for what it's worth.  I've been painting my dd's room and bathroom all week so paint colors are definitely on my mind.  It is really overwhelming choosing the "perfect" color scheme.

Kimberly

• Like 2

One of my favorite movies, especially the scene when the guy drills for the well. This hit home to us because we once had well issues related to depth. :)

I think that movie hits every homeowner at some point.  I like the paint scene because it puts things in perspective.  And we use one line from the movie in our daily lives:  "Bicker, bicker, bicker."

:0)

I'd do the earthy yellow. Gray is still having a moment, but I don't think it would look good with your woods. Navy could be okay, but it would be too dark for me. That wall seems like it needs a light color or a bright color.

• Like 1

I'd skip the accent wall and put a nice big painting over the piano. :) Or a collage of smaller art and/or family pics. 

I actually already have the picture that hangs above the piano. It's a beautiful night shot of the Golden Gate Bridge, with the moon reflecting on the water. It's framed in cherry wood.

SaveSave

• Like 1

Not an interior decorator, but... You've got a lot of different wood tones going on in a small room. Two paint colors on the walls in addition to that is starting to look like a patchwork quilt.

Just me, but I'd match that lovely soft green and let the wood tones work together as complementary tones, and hang your nice piece of art for accent above the piano. :)

I understand DH wants an accent wall, but I think in a small room that is already very busy with furniture of many tones, you need to pull the room together with some consistency, rather than add more color, which can add visual chaos. For accent, instead of yet another paint color, consider doing a grouping of artwork:

"How to Hang Arwork Creating An Eclectic Art Gallery Style Picture Arrangement" 

"How to Hang Art in Groups (like Kate Spade)"

"Wall Art: Making A Canvas or Print Grouping"

Edited by Lori D.
  • Like 1

How about another thought - take the green you already have on the other walls and go two tones down on the strip so that it's a rich green. That way you don't have to worry about matching it to the color and it will give you the accent wall you need without adding another color to the room. It'll just be a much deeper version of what's already there.

• Like 4

Eggshell finish is washable but flat enough that you probably won't notice the texture difference.

Convincing your DH that accent walls (made of anything other than mixed reclaimed barn wood) are dated is another issue. It would probably take several coats of really good primer to get that to match the green first though.

Edited by Katy

You know, paint these days is so much better. A little over a year ago, I painted over the red in our living room - it was the first real painting I'd done in awhile. I thought it was going to be a nightmare, but it took two coats and no primer. A nice pale green over a very dark, slightly textured red. Paint technology has come a long way.

How about another thought - take the green you already have on the other walls and go two tones down on the strip so that it's a rich green. That way you don't have to worry about matching it to the color and it will give you the accent wall you need without adding another color to the room. It'll just be a much deeper version of what's already there.

This is my thought as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1