Menu

Documentaries/movie suggestions?

MedicMom

I broke my foot, so Amazon prime and Netflix and I are going to become very well acquainted the next few weeks. Fortunately I will still be able to work, just in dispatch where I get to watch movies for 24 hours.

What's good? It's been so long since I had any downtime.

I love documentaries, especially on education, history or the British royal family. I also like mindless rom-coms while I'm lying around.

So throw me suggestions while I lie here on the couch with my remote.

One of my favorite bio documentaries was Who Is Harry Nilsson? The review hits it best that says it is s documentary that lets you spend time in his company and then you will know why he is someone to be missed.

there was one I just watched about shakespeare. and a history of england?london? going back to the romans. might have been history of london - as it was founded by the romans.

I also enjoyed the one on althorp - which is the 500 yo spencer family home.  

I broke my foot, so Amazon prime and Netflix and I are going to become very well acquainted the next few weeks. Fortunately I will still be able to work, just in dispatch where I get to watch movies for 24 hours.

What's good? It's been so long since I had any downtime.

I love documentaries, especially on education, history or the British royal family. I also like mindless rom-coms while I'm lying around.

So throw me suggestions while I lie here on the couch with my remote.

Have you ever watched anything done by Lucy Worsley? She's a curator with the Historic Royal Palaces and has done a lot of super interesting documentaries about past royals and their times. Sometimes her shows get a little hokey but overall they are well done and I've learned a lot.

Here are a couple on Amazon but I think you have to subscribe to their PBS Masterpiece channel-it's free for the first month but it is easy enough to cancel before the month is up. :)

https://www.amazon.com/Tales-Royal-Wardrobe-PBS/dp/B0105OC3QY/ref=sr_1_1?s=movies-tv&ie=UTF8&qid=1499262713&sr=1-1&keywords=lucy+worsley

https://www.amazon.com/gp/video/detail/B00S2EJ9TO/ref=pd_cbs_318_1

and here are a bunch on youtube (free!) 

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=lucy+worsley+documentary

Hope your foot heals quickly :)

I just watched A Royal Affair on Hulu, think it's on Netflix as well. Very good, especially if you like movies about sad rich people having romantic problems (a favorite sub-genre of mine). It's based on the royal family in Denmark and is in Danish with subtitles, but easy to follow along and very beautiful settings/clothes.

Edited by wonderchica

Netflix has several documentaries about the British royal family. They also have a number of documentaries about castles in the different UK countries. I watched most of them. If you're interested in Russian history at all they have a few on Russian nobles and tsars, including Catherine, and the ill-fated Nicolas II. You can search either the Documentary or International genres.

Have you ever watched anything done by Lucy Worsley? She's a curator with the Historic Royal Palaces and has done a lot of super interesting documentaries about past royals and their times. Sometimes her shows get a little hokey but overall they are well done and I've learned a lot.

Empire of the Tsars on Netflix is a Lucy Worsley documentary. I also like Dan Jones. He does some of the castle documentaries on Netflix, but most of his stuff on Amazon require a subscription to AcornTV (we subscribe and watch on our Roku). It's only $4.99 a month so it might be worth subscribing while you recover, then you can cancel if you don't want to keep it.

Here's an example of a Dan Jones AcornTV documentary: Britain's Bloodiest Dynasty