Menu

Hit the order button for Sonlight, current users please read

Hi all,

we went from TOG to Sonlight 200. Just pushed the order button last night with ds and dh's glowing approval.

Now, of course! I'm having doubts I did the right thing.

I'm a bit worried about the "helps" available with SL upper core. How's the writing instruction - will we be ok with IEW TWSS discs in conjunction with SL assignments?

What about the literature instruction? Will I need to supplement that? I hope not!

Are there more to the teacher's notes - discussion info - than what's available on the core 200 sample? I read that in the upper core the notes are extensive but on the two samples I looked at it seemed there were just discussion questions.

I need a less teacher intensive program and something with high interest reading for this ds now.

I can't go back anyway - we're having a baby, I'm burnt out on TOG and ds is super! excited that his literature isn't going to be tied to his history.

I also wonder if any of you have had success using SL 200 with a 13 year old? He's an awesome reader - we just read Gilgamesh and he understood that fine and I'm trying to ignore the comments in the catalog of the dangers of using SL for the 1st time with a 13 yr old. We've been reading those same books for years and I THINK he can handle it.

We just tried WTM for one day last week and between the lost look of "what do I do" for history from him and going to the library (which I really want to cut back on!) I don't think that's going to work. He will SCREAM if we go back to Tapestry, lol.

His favorite subject is bible and he's very mature "spiritually" speaking and extremely interested right now in missions and evangelism. I think it will work I'd just love to hear from those that are using it.

Thanks.

Stephanie

ps - don't read back through my previous posts, we've been curricula jumping lately and I'll seem very pschitophrenic to you all:eek:

My 16yo ds is using SL200 lit. He is also using Walch's Toolbook for Prose and Poetry and he has used IEW TWSS.

I'm glad that I added in Toolbook as the descriptions of literary terms are minimal. We are not using the writing assignments, because ds is taking journalism at a tutorial and is working through Kumon LA. However, I did look thorugh the writing assignments and if your ds is familiar with IEW then the writing shouldn't be a problem.

I haven't looked at the sample online, but I would say that the discussion questions for The Story of Christianity are mostly recall. (We didn't use the rest of the history. He is doing World Geography.) On the other hand, the writing assignments do delve deeper. This combo should be easier for you to manage. Also, it is recommended that you find your child a mentor. Maybe there is a youth minister or someone that he could meet with once or twice a month to discuss how he feels or any questions that he may have. This would also make it easier on you.

HTH-

Mandy

Thank you Mandy for replying.

I have a mentor - inhis dad so we should be good there.

As for the writing, IEW worked really well for us so we'll just add in SL writing assignments after we finish their courses. It's a relief to know we have that to fall back on if SL isn't "enough" instruction.

I appreciate your insight into the literary terms, we may have something on our shelves that can help if need be.

Have a great day.

Stephanie

Did you credit this as World History?

I am planning on giving

1 cr World History (adding in Spielvogel Human Odyssey readings)

1 cr Bible or Church History

and 1 cr literature -

look about right to you?

Thanks for your reply. One more question, did this take you all year or did you finish earlier - the history looks easier than the lit.

Stephanie

We switched from TOG to Sonlight 200 this year and it has been a good change for us. I am using it with 17 & 14 year olds and both of them are doing fine with it. We are not using Westminster Catechism, substituting something more in line with our beliefs but everything else we are using pretty much as is. My boys have also used IEW for writing and we aren't doing all the writing assignments in Sonlight. The literature instruction is not as meaty as TOG but is covered fairly well. Also, I sometimes just let a book be read without dissecting it - depending on our workload that week.

We are glad we changed - the boys prefer it to TOG and its much easier for me to organise. We have our church book discussion on Tues., the literature from the previous week on Wed. and the history/bios on Thursday.

I think it'll take us the full year to finish.

hth, Sandra.

We switched from TOG to Sonlight 200 this year and it has been a good change for us. I am using it with 17 & 14 year olds and both of them are doing fine with it. We are not using Westminster Catechism, substituting something more in line with our beliefs but everything else we are using pretty much as is. My boys have also used IEW for writing and we aren't doing all the writing assignments in Sonlight. The literature instruction is not as meaty as TOG but is covered fairly well. Also, I sometimes just let a book be read without dissecting it - depending on our workload that week.

We are glad we changed - the boys prefer it to TOG and its much easier for me to organise. We have our church book discussion on Tues., the literature from the previous week on Wed. and the history/bios on Thursday.

I think it'll take us the full year to finish.

hth, Sandra.

Yeah :D Sandra,

I was hoping someone who had experience with TOG would post.

I'm thrilled to hear it's working well. Thank you so much for your reply. We can't wait to implement SL into our schoolday - we're both eager for a change.

Have a great day and thanks again for taking time to post that.

Stephanie