Menu

What's with the ads?

DawnM

How do you pronounce S'mores?

One of us pronounces it as it looks.....S sound and then runs into "mores"

Another one of us pronounces it Schmores (Sh-mores), which drives the other one nuts, but person who says "schmores" doesn't care.  

Which do you say?  

This needs a poll!

Can I add one after the thread has started?

Also, what other ways should I add if I can do a poll?

Does the person who uses the "sh" sound also say:

Warsh...as in "I need to do the warsh on Monday."

:lol:

No, but he (I mean, er, um....."that person") has some other speech issues that drive me (I mean, um, "the other person") nuts.

• Like 5

S-mores.

But the sh-mores version doesn't surprise me, sh blends more easily into m than s does.

Can I add one after the thread has started?

Also, what other ways should I add if I can do a poll?

I'm not sure if you can add a poll when you edit.

As for different pronunciations...I've only heard the 2 ways you've mentioned.

Ah, I thought this was going to be a thread of 1-syllable "s'mores" vs. 2-syllable "suh-mores".

(FWIW, I say s'mores, like smoke.)

• Like 9

Ah, I thought this was going to be a thread of 1-syllable "s'mores" vs. 2-syllable "suh-mores".

I thought this was what she was asking at first read. I say smores like smoke, too. Shmores wouldn't bug me but suh-mores does.

I pronounce it with a stop between the "s" and the "mores".

• Like 3

I thought the same. But I say it the 2-syllable way. I've never heard anyone say it with the "sh" sound in front though.

I say it with two syllables -- suh - mores  (Some + more with a plural s all slurred together.)

I ignore the apostrophe and pronounce it like smile or smoke or any other word that begins with sm.

Q: How do I pronounce "s'mores"?

A: The right way

;)

EXACTLY!!!!!!!!

• Like 1

S'mores. The name is a contraction of "some more" and then it's made plural.

YES!  absolutely!

S sound, no sh. 

Yummy tangent! If you are making s'mores, here are some fun ideas for variations on the theme. We might try a few tomorrow when we grill. Not necessarily with ingredients from Whole Foods, but taking her ideas and going with them. Dark chocolate and fresh raspberries, yumm! White chocolate and strawberries! We do like the WF marshmallows, or Trader Joe's. 

Does the person who uses the "sh" sound also say:

Warsh...as in "I need to do the warsh on Monday."

:lol:

Ha! I'm from the St. Louis area and many of the locals are guilty of saying "warsh".... myself included! Now that I've been in NC for over ten years I've successfully made the switch to "wash" :) Edited by tdbates78
  • Like 1

Definitely "S" running into the "more." All you need to do is watch the Sandlot to answer this question definitively. "Do you want a s'more?" "S'more of what? I haven't had anything."

"You're killing me Smalls!"

• Like 1

I've heard it 1 syllable (like smoke) and 2 syllables (sum-more) but never with a sh.

Yep...me too. I say s'mores like smoke. It is a contraction of some + more. You blend it like you would any other contraction such as "can't".

Another one of us pronounces it Schmores (Sh-mores), 

This is wrong.  They need to stop.

• Like 6

Ha! I'm from the St. Louis area and many of the locals are guilty of saying "warsh".... myself included! Now that I've been in NC for over ten years I've successfully made the switch to "wash" :)

I think it's more a central Illinois thing than a St. Louis thing. My mom (who lived in IL for almost 35 years) does it constantly. She came over the other day to borrow our "power warsher", which I gladly loaned her after explaining that we got the deluxe model that takes the "r" right out of "warsh".

Also, smores. No "sch". Although it makes my cheeks curl funny to get the word out.

• Like 1

I think it's more a central Illinois thing than a St. Louis thing. My mom (who lived in IL for almost 35 years) does it constantly. She came over the other day to borrow our "power warsher", which I gladly loaned her after explaining that we got the deluxe model that takes the "r" right out of "warsh".

Also, smores. No "sch". Although it makes my cheeks curl funny to get the word out.

HaHa, my mom grew up in KC and does the same thing, as did her father. "Warsh" as in, "I need to warsh my car." Interestingly, she pronounces "Walsh" as wash. So there you go... add an "r" to wash, take the "l" out of Walsh. :lol:

I say s'mores, no sh. My kids say "suh-mores" .

I thought the same. But I say it the 2-syllable way. I've never heard anyone say it with the "sh" sound in front though.

I have heard people say "groshery" instead of "grocery." o_0

• Like 1

I've heard it pronounced with two syllables, which is probably correct since it's a contraction. I say it as a one syllable sm word. I've never heard it pronounced schmores. 

Also, I can't stand s'mores. Yuck!  :leaving:

I have heard people say "groshery" instead of "grocery." o_0

This one needs its own post :) I have heard them equally.

• Like 1

When I pronounce grocery, it tends to come out somewhere between "grocery" and "groshery"  There isn't really a good way to type out the sound.  It's not all the way to a real "SH" sound, but it's just a bit more than a straight "S" sound too.

I say smores, and I can understand why people would pronounce it as suh-mores (or sum-mores), but I cannot fathom why someone would pronounce it as schmores — there's no H in that word! Why randomly insert an H???

If I lived with someone who said schmores, I would be tempted to pronounce all "sm..." words as "schm..." until he gave up and started pronouncing it correctly.  :tongue_smilie:

• Like 5

Pronounce them? I'm too busy eating them!

I think that you have found that answer to the questionable pronunciation.

Try saying "s'mores" with a mouthful of marshmallow.

"What are you eating?"

"Shmores."

• Like 3

That annoys me in the same way that it annoys me when people pronounce "stronger" as "shtronger."

What in the world. I heard Michelle Obama give a speech once a couple of years ago and she kept saying something about girls and women being "shtrong" or "shtronger."

I was annoyed. And shurprised.  :tongue_smilie:

• Like 1