Menu

Have you met a "real" animal communicator? Are you one?

38carrots

What are your experiences, if any? Do you believe in this? Why?

I've met three and each seemed just a bit nuts to me, and neither offered any information that I wasn't aware of or wasn't readily accessible on-line. Each time they reached out to me, to share what my animal told them (I never asked for a "reading.")

My teen wants to believe (and maybe does believe?) She is not as cynical as me.

• Like 1

No, I don't believe there is such a thing as an animal communicator in the way you mean.

I do think if one has thorough knowledge of the animal species involved, and a thorough knowledge of body language and things like that and a thorough familiarity with the individual animal (developed over time) it's often possible to make a pretty good guess about what's going on in their head. But I'm referring to spending weeks and maybe months observing an animal in all sorts of situations, not some quacko who visits for five minute or says she's reading the animal's mind over the phone and can tell you what happened to that animal two or three years ago or whatever similar stupidity it is those sorts of people pitch.

• Like 10

No and I don't think they exist.  I can tell you very well what my ponies are thinking when I'm working with them, but as mentioned by a pp, that's due to body language they give me.  It's the same with dogs and cats.  Body language says a lot - everything from fear, respect, orneriness, cluelessness, commands, etc - so if one knows how to read it, training is relatively easy.  Without it, folks think you're practically a magician.   :laugh:

But actually reading their minds as in their telling me stories about what happened during their day when I wasn't around?  No.  "I'm scared out of my wits!" yes.  "Why?"  No. If I want to figure out why I have to look for other clues or make educated guesses.

• Like 6

If you know a lot about this or that species, then you can make some educated guesses about what is making a particular animal twitchy. And if you don't know how you know this information, it might seem super special even to you - but it's just knowledge, nothing magic.

• Like 6

There was an article in this magazine that talked about this subject. http://www.roadtoemmaus.net/back_issues_2016.html

It's in the fall issue. I can't link it specifically and the content is not online. But the article talks about inter species communication and it has changed the way I address and treat animals. Except spiders in my house. I have a ways to go.

One of DD's bio mentors is an ethologist (biologist who studies animal behavior), and he's really good at telling what certain species are "thinking" and at showing them by his body language that he's not threatening. It can look really impressive-like he and the animal have some sort of psychic bond, but it's really just a lot of time spent with that species of animal.

• Like 7

My DS thinks I'm an animal whisperer but it's not true. The cats like me and come to me when called 99.9% of the time. They won't come when called for anyone else. They won't bite me or scratch me when they are mad and I'm good at sensing what they want, but I don't have any psychic input. I can calm the dog and get her to let me groom her, but it's because of relationship and time with her and not psychic ability. I'm pretty good with strays and other people's pets but it's just experience. DS, however, also believes my twins have a psychic connection and know what each other is thinking and can send each other messages. I do not believe that either. I think some people just want to believe. 

• Like 1

I initially thought this was about classical or operant conditioning = training of animals which many people can learn.

I wonder if this all originated with Monty and horse training or has been around before then. As far as I remember he was called the horse whisperer.

I suppose to some it suggests two-way communciation...well there is Dr. Doolittle... :laugh: :lol:

No, nor do I think they exist. I'm with those who say it's nonsense. There are people who study and understand animal behavior which ds is actually looking into as a career (animal behaviorist is apparently a growing field). But true communication with animals? No.

• Like 5

My dad is really good with animals, but he is not good with people. Animals always LOVE him. He does not claim that he can 'talk' to them or 'understand' them. He just naturally has that instinct on how to read them.

That's my daughter, and she's seven.  She can walk up to any animal and seems to be best friends instantly.  But she is extremely shy around people.  She never claims to "talk to" animals, but sometimes wistfully says she wishes she was a dog.

• Like 1

Nope, I don't think there is any such thing as an animal psychic or mind reader. There are people like Buck Brannaman, though, who are able to forge amazing connections with animals because of their knowledge and experience. 

• Like 2

That's my daughter, and she's seven.  She can walk up to any animal and seems to be best friends instantly.  But she is extremely shy around people.  She never claims to "talk to" animals, but sometimes wistfully says she wishes she was a dog.

I was just like that as a child and still prefer animals over most people.  :)

• Like 3

My dad is really good with animals, but he is not good with people. Animals always LOVE him. He does not claim that he can 'talk' to them or 'understand' them. He just naturally has that instinct on how to read them.

I was that way as a child too.  Working with dogs, cats, and horses came naturally to me.  My dad used to "show me off" by having me show off my trained dog.  I worked at a stable training horses and kid proofing ponies. For a college behavior project I got permission to train two cats in an obstacle course - and successfully did so, none of these things with any sort of "formal" or even "informal" training. I thought "How to Train" books were incredibly boring.  Why would anyone need them??  Or worse yet, pay someone to train for them or give advice????

I had to learn all my people skills.  Once I started looking at people as "humans" - a different type of critter - it became easier for me, esp after learning more about how our brains work.

Why one came naturally and the other didn't is still an enigma.

• Like 3

I was that child, too.

I think it's because most animals have a very good sense of us--most domesticated animals are experts at reading our body language and (probably) can smell things that give them a good reading of our emotional state. I tend to think it's probably the way some of us are born, a quirk of biology that we react to the presence of most animals in a less threatening (to them) way than "normal" people do and they can sense that. Not sure I'm explaining that well. One of my earliest memories is sitting under a tree with one of my uncle's GSD's that he'd brought over to our house and tied to a tree. The dog was fierce and didn't like anyone but my uncle. I clearly remember peacefully sitting under the tree with him curled up beside me. I shared a cracker or cookie (don't remember which) with him and I remember sitting there thinking how nice it was, just me and this big dog. Some of the adults stepped out on the porch and almost panicked and I couldn't understand why.

I'm also kind of like Creekland--I am, or at least think I am, very good at dog training. And I've studied a lot of training techniques, theories and methods. But I have a very difficult time describing how I've personally trained certain behaviors. I rely a lot more on my own intuition of how to work with an individual dog than I follow a particular technique or method. When you just somehow know what will work with a particular dog it's much harder to give advice over the Internet to someone working with a different dog than it is if you just tend to follow X theory or technique to the letter.

Edited by Pawz4me
  • Like 2