Menu

Telescope Recommendation?

Can anyone recommend a descent quality telescope that doesn't break the bank? Quite honestly, I am not even sure what I am looking for. I saw one on Amazon that looks good with good reviews for around $200 but if you have one that you love, that has worked well for homeschooling please share. This will be for two 1st graders and a 2nd grader doing Astronomy this coming year but it would be nice if it could be useful for the long haul.

If you want a quality telescope for more than just homeschooling young children, one that adults can enjoy too, one that will be useful for the long haul- I have a local friend here in Michigan who recommended I work with the folks at Oceanside Photo and Telescope: https://www.optcorp.com/ . We purchased ours from OPT. I believe we paid about $500 and it's a decent one. I waited and saved up to buy it. Personally, I would not spend $200 for a cheapie as it will be difficult to enjoy using it. And I would recommend you buy from a reputable dealer who will offer you good advice for deciding exactly what needs you have so you don't walk away from the sale with too little or too much.

Edited by Anna
  • Like 1

OP, I see you have two goals -- one is doing astronomy with your second grader and another is to buy a telescope. There have been many posts here from people who really know astronomy and actually discourage people from getting telescopes as they are starting astronomy.

One of the pleasures of astronomy is learning to recognize constellations, which can be done with the naked eye -- and a dark viewing location. Lightweight, but good quality binoculars can provide some closer up viewing. (I would not suggest astrononomy binoculars, as they work best with a $$$ tripod).

A first step you might want to take is finding a local astronomy club. Many clubs have open, non member, viewing nights. Ime, people are extremely generous about sharing not only scopes, but expertise. They will be able to tell you what star(s) you are looking at. Many scopes require some set up time and maintenance -- it's nice not to have to do that at the beginning.

I second the suggestion of pp that you visit a local dealer if you do plan to buy.

Astronomy magazine has good telescope reviews. A lot of libraries get this magazine. I can read it through my library's digital portal. Hope you can get access through your library.

Also, you might want to check out post 16 on this recent thread, sounds like a good astronomy course.

http://forums.welltrainedmind.com/topic/649015-is-there-a-good-earth-science-astronomy-curriculum-for-7th-8th-grade/?do=findComment&comment=7671060

Edited by Alessandra
  • Like 1

Yeah, agreeing with other poster. Don't be in a big hurry to buy a telescope. Begin some of your learning about astronomy by rubbing elbows with locals who do regular "star parties." They would be happy to share their knowledge and have you view the sky with their telescopes. Afterwards, you may have a better idea of what you want OR you may even decide that a telescope is not for you. A decent telescope is a big investment. You don't want to buy one and not use it. And you don't want to throw $200 on something that only turns out to be a piece of junk.

• Like 1

This is all great. Thank you! I feel the idea of starting without a telescope is exactly the direction I need to go. I like the star party idea. I didn't know those existed ;) I will need to hunt down star enthusiasts in our area.

Thanks everyone!