Menu

Quick grammar question re: "I got this"

ELaurie

Both.

It's a colloquialism either way. I've got this was probably the original form, now frequently shortened to I got this.

Any linguistic form normally used by native speakers of a language is "grammatically correct" :)

Edited by maize
  • Like 2

Grammatically I've is correct because it should be I *have* this (not really I have got this). However it's a figure of speech so it doesn't need to be grammatically correct.

BTW, I was looking up figures of speech and found this site. One of my pet peeves is listed, and I hear weather reporters use it all the time: 9 am in the morning (as in "the rain will start around 9 am in the morning). Arrrggghhh! As opposed to what? The rain starting at 9 am at night? The blog author does say it's not a figure of speech, but included it among other common errors of repetition. 

ETA: If it's formal writing it shouldn't be used at all. Colloquialisms should be avoided in formal writing, regardless of whether or not they're grammatically correct.

Edited by Lady Florida.
  • Like 4

Yeah, it's not really something you would put into a formal context in the first place. You would say, "I have a clear understanding of this topic," or, "I am capable of completing such and such task."

In terms of everyday speech, I can't imagine "I have got this" - it just sounds awkward to me.

• Like 2

Thank you! I'm addressing a group of teens at a youth group event this evening.

I got this! ðŸ‘

Oooh, tricky. I got this is definitely the right way to say it aloud... but you want to be careful about walking the right line when talking to teens. Go too colloquial, and they think it sounds silly, like you're trying too hard.

• Like 3