Menu

Wile Chemistry opinions

Now that Discovering Design with Science has been out a couple years. I'd like to know from those who have used the curriculum, text, labs, downloadable worksheets, etc. What did you like about it? How does it compare to Apologia 2nd ed? (if you've used it before) We currently have Apologia 2nd ed (and have used it). Though I'm considering purchasing his new one because it looks more exciting. ha. I've been going back and forth and they seem to be similar. The cost for Discovering Design is $147. This includes the labs & text book ($122.95), audio $19.99), answer key & tests book ($6.). The website had free downloads and links of all other info needed. Apologia 2nd ed we would need the labs ($44.99) and journal ($64.95 printed or $8.99 download). Opinions and thoughts? Thanks!

Edited by GreenKitty
  • Like 1

I just finished up Discovering Design with Chemistry with my 2nd ds.  My oldest ds used Spectrum chemistry.  Overall I really liked it.  It is very homeschool mom teachable.  Wile assigns point values for grading tests and there are optional semester finals.  Also, when my ds did poorly on one test, he sent me a file of optional, multiple choice tests for those who don't need/want the harder version.  I only used these for retaking tests if needed.  

I paid $65 for the set of the book and teacher's book (which includes the tests to copy)  I wouldn't buy the audio unless I really thought my student would use it.  I also printed out all the comprehension check questions so that it would be easier for ds to study.  Wile also supplies access to internet resources which explain additional concepts and show different chemical reactions.

Compared to Spectrum, the labs are more simplistic but seemed effective.  I knew 2nd ds would not be that into the labs, and I couldn't justify buying all the supplies again that Spectrum requires.  Most of the lab supplies for this course are easy to obtain.  I went to Home Science Tools and only bought only those items that were needed.

The biggest negative really was a student problem and not a curriculum one.  I discovered late in the year that ds wasn't actually doing all the comprehension checks and it reflected greatly on his test scores.  The curriculum will prepare you well IF you do the work.  

I also really like Wile's voice throughout the book.  It reads as high school teacher talking straight to you as a young adult.  

I just remembered one other big negative that I would hope has been corrected.  There was a ton of errata for both the book and the instructor's manual.  I would ask if they are selling corrected versions yet.

• Like 3