Menu

Can we talk about Kurt Seyit & Sura on Netflix? Anyone else binge watch it?

FloridaLisa

We don't have cable so most of my viewing comes from Hulu or Netflix. I'm super picky but I love historically based dramas. LOVED Victoria as well as The Queen, but the next season of both of those doesn't start back until the fall. 

So, as I researched, I found this historical tv series called Kurt Seyit & Sura. It's a Turkish drama based on a couple of Turkish bestsellers. It's loosely based on a real story about two star-crossed lovers -- a Russian noblewoman and a Crimean Turk who was in the Czar's elite guard. When the Bolzhevik revolution started, they escaped to Turkey. 

I'm not giving away any spoilers, but I'm on my second round of watching!  :001_tt1:  I was so intrigued by the plot the first time, that I rushed through and missed some of the details. This one will probably go near Pride and Prejudice for me. The story pulled me in and the scenery, costumes, customs, food and characters have been superb. 

SO, if you've watched it and want to talk, let's do! And if you haven't and you enjoy historically based dramas, there are 40+ episodes waiting for you. 

I've found lots of online information and even a forum surrounding this series, but I seem to be the only one IRL who's watched it. 

P.S. There are English subtitles but it's not distracting in the least and listening to the Turkish adds to the drama IMO. Wondering if Hollywood will pick up this regional hit. 

Edited by FloridaLisa

Crickets! I can't believe no one has watched this yet. 

Oh rats. Consider yourselves introduced. It's a great series. But you'll be hooked. Your family will eat cereal for dinner and you'll give up hours of good sleep to keep going.  :closedeyes:

But then you can message me and we can talk. Without spoilers.

Kristen, it definitely has that drama feel to it. But I loved all the subplots and character development...it was pretty easy to love some characters and seriously hate a couple of others. And it was so well cast! The main characters were fabulous. Did you research any of the backstory? The real Sure and Seyit? I found that just as fascinating (and endlessly sad :( ). 

Thanks for chiming in! 

:lurk5:

The cast was excellent. I was so sad when I got to the end. Murvet's mother was a hoot. I had to stop the show multiple times when I knew something bad was going to happen (usually Petro in action) & go back to it later, lol. I did look some things up during those times & finding out the real story was probably a good thing, as I was able to prepare myself. I won't say anything more about that though - don't want to spoil it for anyone watching!

• Like 1

The cast was excellent. I was so sad when I got to the end. Murvet's mother was a hoot. I had to stop the show multiple times when I knew something bad was going to happen (usually Petro in action) & go back to it later, lol. I did look some things up during those times & finding out the real story was probably a good thing, as I was able to prepare myself. I won't say anything more about that though - don't want to spoil it for anyone watching!

Yeah, she was great.If looks could kill! And the underwear.  :lol:  I think that was part of the pull for me was a peek into a much different culture and of course, time period. 

Ok, I'm on Ep. 15.....WHEN DO THEY FIND OUT ABOUT PETRO?!?!?!?!?  I'm seriously dying.

I can't disclose. But keep going....it gets twistier.  :crying:  I actually missed the significance of the very first scene in the movie and only caught it when I started the series over. But sometimes, I just want to take a couple characters by the shoulders and shake some sense into them! 

I put it on my Netflix list and watched a bit of an episode.  Looks great!  I think I'm going to have to wait to watch it till I'm done reading War and Peace, though.  I know they're 100 years apart, but I think there's only so much big Russian war & love story I can take all at once. ;)

And... when making sure the English subtitles would be turned on, I noticed it also comes dubbed in Spanish (just Spanish, not anything else  :confused1: )  So, I'm a-gonna watch it in Spanish. :D

Edited by Matryoshka

I put it on my Netflix list and watched a bit of an episode.  Looks great!  I think I'm going to have to wait to watch it till I'm done reading War and Peace, though.  I know they're 100 years apart, but I think there's only so much big Russian war & love story I can take all at once. ;)

And... when making sure the English subtitles would be turned on, I noticed it also comes dubbed in Spanish (just Spanish, not anything else  :confused1: )  So, I'm a-gonna watch it in Spanish. :D

Yes! This is much lighter but will help if you're having a Russian hangover after closing War & Peace. 

And while I actually love hearing them speak in the original Turkish (Pretty sure I know a few phrases now), I missed being able to open another screen and multi-task. Come back and chime in when you've moved further into the series. Especially given the background of War and Peace. 

I can't disclose. But keep going....it gets twistier.  :crying:  I actually missed the significance of the very first scene in the movie and only caught it when I started the series over. But sometimes, I just want to take a couple characters by the shoulders and shake some sense into them! 

Okay, I'm on episode 12 or 13, but I have to work today!

I went back and re-watched the first scene but not sure what you mean by the significance of it?

Can you post, or, if it would be a spoiler, can you send me a PM?

Thanks!

That first scene sets up on the conflict between Seyit and Petro. I'm rewatching and somewhere in the second season, there are flash forward dialogue between the author and Baroness Tina (played by actors.) Don't skip forward but that breakaway to the conversation in which Tina is relaying the story to the author gives some insight into WHY Petro does what he does. 

In that first scene, Petro disobeys Seyit's command and makes a rash action. He finds his entire reputation at the mercy of Seyit and that, the agreement they reach underlies the rest of the conflict. PM if you want to talk more b/c I don't want to give spoilers! 

Over the years The Hive has given me great suggestions for both books and tv shows.

I watched the first episode last night and really liked it. I don't know what Petro does but since some of you have hinted that he does something I won't like, I have to say I can see it. He seems eager to blame Seyit for his current situation even though he disobeyed a direct order. 

While this isn't a romance, if you like foreign period dramas (and historical fiction drama), give The Time in Between  (also Netflix) a chance. It was another WTMer who first mentioned it - Mom-ninja. I loved it and the only reason I didn't binge watch was because of the subtitles. I like to do something else while watching tv (usually crochet or knit) and subtitles throw a wrench in that. Still, I think I finished it in less than a week so I partially binged watched it.

ETA: Apparently the book Seyit and Sura is only available in English as a Kobo ebook. Though I'm usually a Kindle reader, I signed up for a free Kobo account, bought it, and downloaded it to my tablet. It's only $4.94.

Edited by Lady Florida.
  • Like 1

Over the years The Hive has given me great suggestions for both books and tv shows.

I watched the first episode last night and really liked it. I don't know what Petro does but since some of you have hinted that he does something I won't like, I have to say I can see it. He seems eager to blame Seyit for his current situation even though he disobeyed a direct order. 

While this isn't a romance, if you like foreign period dramas (and historical fiction drama), give The Time in Between  (also Netflix) a chance. It was another WTMer who first mentioned it - Mom-ninja. I loved it and the only reason I didn't binge watch was because of the subtitles. I like to do something else while watching tv (usually crochet or knit) and subtitles throw a wrench in that. Still, I think I finished it in less than a week so I partially binged watched it.

ETA: Apparently the book Seyit and Sura is only available in English as a Kobo ebook. Though I'm usually a Kindle reader, I signed up for a free Kobo account, bought it, and downloaded it to my tablet. It's only $4.94.

I like to multi-task as well and the subtitles hinder it. Well, makes me slow down and really relax. Plus, there were a few words in the later episodes that would have raised my neck hair to hear them in English; hearing it in Turkish meant nothing.

And, you got the book?!? The book is different from the series from what I've been able to tell. I'd LOVE you to weigh in once you've read the book. I wonder if it gives more of the backstory to the main conflict that happens rather abruptly in the last few episodes.  :crying:

• 3 weeks later...

Can we talk about the fact that school starts back for us in just two weeks and so far the extent of my planning is that I have signed up to stream The Great Courses Plus?

I still have the last 11 episodes to finish first!

Edited by CaliforniaDreaming