Menu

Help with transcript please

DS15's math credits are all messed up and I'm not sure how to represent them on a transcript. He's looking at a few competitive schools. Please no flames...we had a lot of attitude difficulties, disorganization on my part trying to cover four grade levels, an unexpected late pregnancy, and a special needs baby who has spent 8 weeks in the hospital and had 6 surgeries in 8 months.

Here's what happened starting with the first "high school level" class:

MUS Algebra 1 - taken in 3rd grade

AoPS Prealgebra - take in 4th and 5th grade...I learned about advanced math curriculums too late, and we found the transition difficult so we had to backtrack when we switched to AoPS.

AoPS Introduction to Algebra - Started in 6th, continued in the first half of 7th, detoured the second half of 7th, and finished in the first half of 8th.

Algebra 1 - I put him in the public middle school for the second half of 7th grade, and this was all they could offer him.  He fiddled his thumbs for the semester and passed the required end of course exam with special recognition for getting a perfect score giving him official public school credit for the entire course.

AoPS Geometry - Started in the second half of 8th and finished in 9th.

AoPS Intermediate Algebra - Started in 9th and finished in 10th

Khan Academy - Mastered all of the Trig sections and some of the Precalculus sections (just didn't finish others)

He's going into Running start next year and tested directly in Calculus 1.  He also plans on taking Calculus 2 and then Calculus 3 or Statistics.

I wouldn't worry about what was done before 9th grade. If you feel like you need to list, just say Algebra 1 done before high school.

For high school, it looks like you have:

Geometry

Intermediate Algebra

Precalculus

Calculus 1

...and then whatever else he take after this.

I have a transcript with course names and grades. I completely left off what year things were taken, but you could list a grade taken it and I would just list the grade in which it was mostly done or completed. I then had a course description document that told a summary of what was covered in the class and what textbook or resources used.

• Like 1

It doesn't look messed up to me.  It just looks like he has a really solid understanding of algebra!  I would include Algebra 1 and mark it as having been completed before high school. People who list courses by year on transcripts often have an extra column for courses taken prior to high school, and others who make subject transcripts just include it in the list or add an asterisk with info explained in a notes section.

• Like 1

DS15's math credits are all messed up and I'm not sure how to represent them on a transcript. He's looking at a few competitive schools. Please no flames...we had a lot of attitude difficulties, disorganization on my part trying to cover four grade levels, an unexpected late pregnancy, and a special needs baby who has spent 8 weeks in the hospital and had 6 surgeries in 8 months.

Here's what happened starting with the first "high school level" class:

MUS Algebra 1 - taken in 3rd grade

AoPS Prealgebra - take in 4th and 5th grade...I learned about advanced math curriculums too late, and we found the transition difficult so we had to backtrack when we switched to AoPS.

AoPS Introduction to Algebra - Started in 6th, continued in the first half of 7th, detoured the second half of 7th, and finished in the first half of 8th.

Algebra 1 - I put him in the public middle school for the second half of 7th grade, and this was all they could offer him.  He fiddled his thumbs for the semester and passed the required end of course exam with special recognition for getting a perfect score giving him official public school credit for the entire course.

AoPS Geometry - Started in the second half of 8th and finished in 9th.

AoPS Intermediate Algebra - Started in 9th and finished in 10th

Khan Academy - Mastered all of the Trig sections and some of the Precalculus sections (just didn't finish others)

He's going into Running start next year and tested directly in Calculus 1.  He also plans on taking Calculus 2 and then Calculus 3 or Statistics.

I did list algebra and higher done before 9th grade.  Given your classes, my transcript would look something like this:

Course name /  grade (ex A) /credit earned  /year completed  /grade completed

Algebra 1PS        grade   1   20xx   7

Algebra 2           grade   1   20xx   8

Geometry           grade   1   20xx   9

Precalculus        grade   1   20xx  10

Calculus 1CC       PL        1   20xx   11

On my transcript I used superscripts for each outside provider.  I used specific letter codes, like LP for Lukeion Project or HCC for Hawaii Community College.  I had a footer at the bottom of the page with the codes defined. 

I used IP for in progress and PL for planned.  I didn't go past the current school year with planned courses, even if I had a good idea what they would be doing.  Each fall I updated it for the new school year.

Edited by Sebastian (a lady)
  • Like 1

I have a very similar kid that hit algebra early and we took a very circuitous route to get where we are. I also didn't want him racing super far ahead because colleges here won't allow kids before 11th grade and he was not super focused or motivated anyway. What I'm doing is having a subject ordered transcript and just listing the last 4 math credits whatever they ended up being.

Edited by WoolySocks
  • Like 1

I wouldn't worry about what was done before 9th grade. If you feel like you need to list, just say Algebra 1 done before high school.

For high school, it looks like you have:

Geometry

Intermediate Algebra

Precalculus

Calculus 1

...and then whatever else he take after this.

I have a transcript with course names and grades. I completely left off what year things were taken, but you could list a grade taken it and I would just list the grade in which it was mostly done or completed. I then had a course description document that told a summary of what was covered in the class and what textbook or resources used.

I would go with this - you can say Trigonometry instead of Precalculus if you feel he didn't finish Precalc. Many schools offer Trig and not Precalc so either is fine. 

And I agree with everyone else. This is not messed up. I have graduated 3 and all got into very competitive colleges (one went to Stanford) and all of them had math spill over years and I just "tidied" it up to make sense on the transcript. Mine all started with Algebra 2 (you could call Intermediate Algebra that) and then Geometry, either Precalc or Trig and then they did different things for senior year.  

But you will have no problem with putting this on a transcript. It is pretty much what my kids had.