Menu

any favorite British Literature curriculum?

Prentice Hall has an excellent American lit text.  It might be worth taking a look at the British.  There are lots of older editions at excellent prices:  https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_1?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=prentice+hall+british+literature

We used that British lit textbook this past school year (with the black and green cover).  My kids did really well with it.  We still read through a list of books to go along with it.  I think I paid 5 bucks for a used copy of the textbook.

We've used pieces from Adventures in English Literature-lots of reasonably priced older editions available if you don't need the "newest"

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=adventures+in+english+literature+&rh=i%3Aaps%2Ck%3Aadventures+in+english+literature+

Also enjoyed Excellence in Literature's Brit Lit selection (Be sure to scroll down and read the full description.)

https://everyday-education.com/product/british-literature-english-4/

• Like 2

I haven't used it yet, but I really like the looks of EIL's British Lit. I'm planning to use several of the modules for my rising tenth grader next year. I like how it includes context resources and such.

Also, Memoria Press has a very nice set for medieval British poetry. Then there are two other sets that cover later British poetry, although I haven't seen or used them personally.

I have the student version of this left from my own tenth grade year. I used it a little this past year for DD for medieval lit and may again use some of it for her for post-Renaissance European lit. Of course, it doesn't have full novels but does have lots of selections and samples. https://www.google.com/search?q=adventures+in+english+literature&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&hl=en-us&client=safari#imgrc=IORyGTDxvirdJM:

Edited by happypamama
  • Like 2

Well, as with all of our high school Lit, we went "DIY" (Do It Yourself), so we could pick the Lit. we were most interested in and that hadn't been done in previous years.

Do you need/want a program? Or would your family enjoy exploring titles of interest, using individual lit. guides and resources? Just another option! :)

• Like 3

We used LLATL Gold Book. It was fine. Good reads but more "getting it done" in application.

ETA- From the Christian Book description: "Poets covered include Wordsworth, Coleridge, Shelley, Keats, Tennyson, Robert Browning, Mathew Arnold, Gerard Hopkins, Thomas Hardy, T.S. Eliot, Wilfred Owen, Robert Graves; Novel studies focus on Frankenstein by Mary Shelley, Emma by Jane Austen, A Tale of Two Cities by Charles Dickens, The Time Machine by H.G. Wells, and Animal Farm by George Orwell."

Edited by FriedClams
  • Like 1

We used Sonlight and LOVED it. It is also good for AP Lit prep if you want to do that. My daughter got a 5 after doing Sonlight. My boys managed a 3 even though they did no prep at all as they were seniors and both knew by the time they took the AP exam it wouldn't count at the college they would be attending. (Of course, we didn't know that when I signed them up for the exam). And they couldn't see the point in working for an exam they could get no credit for and had no bearing on them getting into college. I made them still write it as I was curious to see how well they could do with literally no prep at all. 

• Like 1

I really liked AOP's Brit Lit.  It is chronological.  It includes an author's biography before each literature portion which gives interesting background info.  The flow of history helps the reader to understand why an author wrote about he/she found important which can lead to a better understanding of the literary work.  It is a 1 semester course, but we added a Shakespeare study which filled it out to a full year. This is a Christian program but still included a wide range of authors and discussion questions.

Youngest really liked Scott Foresman's England in Literature.  It too gave author bios and historical information to help with background information.  The discussion questions went from rather easy (who said what when and where) to quite thought provoking.  All elements of literary techniques were included as well.  This is a secular text and included quite a variety of authors.  It is a full year course