Menu

What Is Up With Saxon Algebra II, Last 5 Lessons

So DD is wrapping up Saxon Algebra II (3rd edition).  The book was fairly easy for her, even if it did take a long time.  But the last 5 or so lessons are almost entirely geometry, and DD is struggling with the proofs and more.  It seems that a crap-ton of material is dumped all at once in these last lessons, with little explanation.  Did anyone else's kid find those last few lessons unusally tough?

Yeah my son had a hard time with the lessons but he was able to get through them. Also, it's difficult to grade Geometry b/c her answer doesn't exactly have to be the same as the proof shown in the book, to be correct. Without a math degree (or something akin) I don't know how homeschool moms grade Geometry. I remembered enough to work through and look at those last few pages worth, and decide if my son's proofs were valid or not....

Anyway yes it's definitely thrown at them in a hurry :)

• Like 2

Yes, DD had some answers that looked fine to me, but didn't agree with the book.  For example, she would prove something using SAS and the solutions book would say SSS or HL. 

We are planning on the Advanced Mathematics book next year.  Is it more of the same all through, or is it slower with more explanations.

Yeah my son had a hard time with the lessons but he was able to get through them. Also, it's difficult to grade Geometry b/c her answer doesn't exactly have to be the same as the proof shown in the book, to be correct. Without a math degree (or something akin) I don't know how homeschool moms grade Geometry. I remembered enough to work through and look at those last few pages worth, and decide if my son's proofs were valid or not....

Anyway yes it's definitely thrown at them in a hurry :)

• Like 1

We have used Art Reed since she began Algebra I and we have the Art Reed DVDs for Advanced mathematics, as well.  They have been very helpful, but she is still having a rough time with these last few lessons.

You may want to consider using Art Reed's DVDs for better explanations when you get to Advanced Math. My daughter has really enjoyed them. He also splits the book over 2 yrs. so the lessons aren't as overwhelming.

• Like 1

I don't worry about the last few lessons too much. There will be more reinforcement in the next book. Just keep chugging along and I second using Art Reed or DIVE. I dislike grading proofs too. I feel like I have to relearn it every time one comes up and there is more than one correct answer.

• Like 2

I also recommend Art Reed's dvds. My daughter used them for Algebra 2 through Advanced Mathematics and then took calculus at the community college in 12th grade. She did meet with her professor there for some tutoring but was at the top of her class with the Saxon Math foundation taught by Art Reed. Mr. Reed's videos explained concepts very well and meant that I did not have to relearn it all.

Debbie in MD

• Like 1