Menu

If you lived 3.5 hours from the eclipse, would you go?

mykidsrmyjoy

Not with little kids unless they travel very well and I could find somewhere to stay in order to avoid traffic.

We're going to have about 80 percent, and that will have to be good enough.

I AM excited about it though! We will order the glasses and make a big deal of it for sure.

I just read that even at 99% obscured, the sun is still 10,000 times brighter than it is during totality!! Wow!

Jodie

• Like 1

I have strong memories of every solar eclipse I've ever seen, as well as a memory of at least one lunar eclipse as a child.  I guess I'm an eclipso-phile!  

Frankly, I'd leave the kids with grandma and go ALL BY MYSELF to see it.  :.D

ETA:  I hadn't thought about the traffic.  This might change my opinion on a day trip option.  

The 2024 eclipse is much farther away than he 2017 one. Looks like the 2045 one will be very near us, but who plans that far in advance? :-)

I will be 85! I simply can't plan for that, LOL. Better see it now. By 85, I may have forgotten what an eclipse even is!

I kept looking at 2024 and thinking "No way is Faith that old!" I didn't think you were older than me but even if you are, not by that much!   :lol:  :lol:

I finally noticed 2045 and realized what you were saying. I'll be 90. We can try to remember together. :D

• Like 3

I just read that even at 99% obscured, the sun is still 10,000 times brighter than it is during totality!! Wow!

Jodie

Stop making me jealous! I cannot drive this infant 9 hours to go see totality. So I'm going to have to make do with 80 percent. Bummed. 

We're fortunate enough to live in the path of totality. We've been looking forward to it for months, and I'll be taking younger ds out of his school for the day. I'm surprised by how many people here aren't interested...it's a huge, huge deal where I live!

We live in the same area. And we're gonna have an eclipse party. So we can eat and hang out while it happens. Because just sitting around watching it will be dull, but when you're hanging out with friends...pretty cool!

• Like 2

We're fortunate enough to live in the path of totality. We've been looking forward to it for months, and I'll be taking younger ds out of his school for the day. I'm surprised by how many people here aren't interested...it's a huge, huge deal where I live!

I'm still shaking my head at the "darkness and stars out in the middle of the day?—meh" sentiments in this thread.

• Like 6

Stop making me jealous! I cannot drive this infant 9 hours to go see totality. So I'm going to have to make do with 80 percent. Bummed.

Well, I have family in charleston SC and could make a Long weekend trip to see totality, but I live in saint pete and settle for 80-90%. Just hope it's not cloudy. Wishful thinking in the afternoon in the summer in Florida, huh?

Edited by antsam

I'm still shaking my head at the "darkness and stars out in the middle of the day?—meh" sentiments in this thread.

me too!!!!! I mean, I said I won't drive to it, due to having an infant, but it's a HUGE deal! Stars mid day? Crazy!!!!!!!

• Like 4

Well, I have family in charleston SC and could make a Long weekend trip to see totality, but I live in saint pete and settle for 80-90%. Just hope it's not cloudy. Wishful thinking in the afternoon in the summer in Florida, huh?

I'm telling myself that if it is cloudy it will just be darker, so more cool. Not sure I'm buying my own logic though. 

I kept looking at 2024 and thinking "No way is Faith that old!" I didn't think you were older than me but even if you are, not by that much! :lol: :lol:

I finally noticed 2045 and realized what you were saying. I'll be 90. We can try to remember together. :D

Yes yes...2045!!!

Dear Lord in heaven help me if I jump from 49 to 80+ in seven years. That is not a GOOD time warp, LOL!

• Like 3

Yes. 

Things that are historic and time bound... that only come around once or twice in a lifetime... there aren't that many of them, that come around in a lifetime.  For me, highlighting such things, and highlighting how very rare they are, are part of teaching time itself.  

Our place in its march.  Where humans stand with respect to the cosmos, the intervals of our little lives to the size and space and scope of the universe and the movement of the objects within it.  I'm not even much of a sky-watcher, but sky-watching is one of not that many activities that human beings have done for literally thousands of years.  That to me is very cool.  That to me positions who we are.  That to me is... well, cosmic, lol. 

• Like 8

For anyone who's interested ... here's a link to a talk at last spring's Cal Day (UC Berkeley has a big open house every year) about the eclipse, given by a Berkeley prof. It's about 75 minutes long, but he had us interested the whole time. He is an extremely popular professor, and during the talk my husband and I soon said to each other, "I can see why!" His enthusiasm is infectious, plus we learned a lot. (And my husband has a PhD in astrophysics :) ... but not the astronomy kind of astrophysics.)

I emailed him with a question after the talk, and he replied with a chatty email within a half-hour; among other things, encouraging my son to take his intro astronomy class ... so much for tenured professors at big state universities being unapproachable! – but I digress :) 

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B5cchLRC1GG4cWFSNFFCUjRmS1k

ETA: He also talks about logistics and practical aspects of viewing an eclipse ... including what to do if you're caught in a massive traffic jam. (Short answer: avoid it altogether by camping out the night before and staying put; but if you can't help it, pull over when it's showtime. )

I'll repeat what I said upthread – a million Californians are expected to head up to Oregon, all of them on I-5, and the day-trippers will get caught in a giant traffic jam. A PP said something about 8-hour delays  :mellow:

Edited by Laura in CA
  • Like 5

A million people on one freeway!!! Oh my...Michigander here...my brain, it does not compute!!!

native of Buffalo, and it doesn't compute in my brain, either! And it won't be all at one time; friends of ours are going up early and camping, for example. But yeah, that's a lot for Oregon to absorb!  :blink:

There are big mountain ranges along the coast and inland, so as far as I know, I-5 is the only non-mountainous main road into Oregon from CA.

Edited by Laura in CA

It also depends where you live (sorry if someone has already said this). If there are a lot of people in your area, traffic will be a nightmare. Apparently a million Californians are going to be making the trek up to Oregon, and the ones who are making it a day trip are going to be caught in a crazy traffic jam on I-5 and won't be anywhere near the viewing window when it's eclipse time.

Yes, consider the roads and other facilities on the drive and at your end point if you're heading somewhere. The police in our region have already warned those who will be driving in, particularly on the day itself. To get to the best watching in our area, it's a two-lane highway through scattered rural towns. If people aren't already booked and there a day or more ahead of time, a day trip is going to be a nightmare.

Erica in OR

• Like 2

Y'all are scaring me about the traffic. My friends and I are staying in a little rural tourist town just north of the path of totality. We're going to drive the half hour or so to the path. And then I'm planning to drive the rest of the two hours through the middle of complete nowhere to the little rural tourist town where my step-mother lives. I hope this doesn't turn into a midnight back roads trip through a national forest...

• Like 1

Just saw this on the NASA Eclipse site: "To date four manufacturers have certified that their eclipse glasses and handheld solar viewers meet the ISO 12312-2 international standard for such products: Rainbow Symphony, American Paper Optics, Thousand Oaks Optical, and TSE 17."

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01MTFQJAT/ref=ox_sc_act_title_2?smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&psc=1

Do you think these are safe? They say they're ISO 12312-2 certified, but celestron isn't on the NASA list.

The 2x magnification seems cool, but would that make the waves more intense?

A million people on one freeway!!! Oh my...Michigander here...my brain, it does not compute!!!

And that doesn't even count all of the Oregonians who will be traveling within the state for best viewing and people coming south from WA. Parts of I5 are in the path of totality.
  • Like 1

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01MTFQJAT/ref=ox_sc_act_title_2?smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&psc=1

Do you think these are safe? They say they're ISO 12312-2 certified, but celestron isn't on the NASA list.

The 2x magnification seems cool, but would that make the waves more intense?

They are probably okay. But they don't meet the Queensland directive and they do not meet the CE transmission standard. So they are probably enough protection, but not ideal.

• Like 1

Nope.  I'd order six pairs of eclipse glasses, and watch from home.  They'll be able to see a partial eclipse.  I'd tell them, "If we lived four hours 'that way', you would see the whole entire sun covered up by the moon!  Isn't that cool?  It would look almost like night time, but you'd be able to see a ring of light around the black moon."  (then I'd show them pictures).

"It will happen again in a few years.  Maybe we'll be in a better spot to see it then."

This is probably what I'd do too, but I live in the path of totality. ONLY thing is... this won't happen again in a few years--not a total one in the continental USA. The next total solar eclipse in USA will be 2024. That is a short span between total solar eclipses. The last one in the USA was 38 years ago!