Menu

calling dr. bom. .. er hive .. emergency, UPDATE in op

gardenmom5

come right away . . .

I have an infected hangnail - or rather it started as one.  i noticed yesterday my finger was red and swollen, so I tried antibiotic with a bandaid, or soaking it in hot water to draw out any infection - except I don't think there's an actual opening for infection to be drawn out . .

now.. . it's even more inflamed, to the point of looking white surrounded by red.  . most disturbing, there is something in the middle, underneath - that looks black..   and it's throbbing.

any ideas/suggestions?  I'm supposed to be leaving this morning . ..

eta: i've tried to include a photo

UPDATE: i'm making an appointment at urgent care - they're don't open until 8am . . . which is another hour and 15 minutes.

post-21762-0-36745200-1498570704_thumb.jpg

Edited by gardenmom5
  • Like 2

Finger infections can spread rapidly and are dangerous. I would go to Urgent Care immediately (but it is not an emergecy for the ER)

ETA: It probably won't take long for them and you will still be able to leave. But it might have to be drained, and you likely need to be put on oral antibiotics.

Edited by regentrude
  • Like 1

I get infections on my fingers all the time. Generally I do try to open them before using hot water/antibiotic cream. Just, for future reference, so the infection can actually leave.

However, I've never had one go white and definitely never had a newly developed black spot. That would get me to the doctor. 

• Like 1

I agree that you should get checked out.

If it were me, though, I probably wouldn't yet, as foolish as that may be.  I'd lance it, push all I could out (not UP), and then repeatedly soak it in the very hottest saltiest water I could stand over the next 24 hours.  In between soakings, I'd put antibiotic ointment on it.  

But that black spot seems unusual, and would concern me.  Thought, it actually might not be black, but very dark green, obscured by the skin, and just more infection.

• Like 1

I'm leaving town today (we're going to yosemite - so very rural)- so, if I want medical care, I need to do it this morning.  my thought on the black is it might be blood.   the UC is close, so I'm twiddling my thumbs waiting for them to open.

I can get the rx (if I need an antibiotic) from a pharmacy across the street. 

• Like 6

Oh heck no lol

I am quite happy dealing with medical stuff at home. If it were just pink and swollen with a white head I'd even just try to drain it myself, have done before. But the only colours it should ever be is pink, white, and maybe a tiny bit purple depending on placement. That one is much too colourful for home treatment. 

• Like 1

I can see an abcess developing now. I have the stuff to drain it. My own dr emailed instructions.

I've started cehpalexin, so that should keep it from getting worse.

I can commiserate with dsil. He broke his finger, and after three days called his brother. He repeatedly yelled at him about how stupid he was and told him to go to the er.

• Like 1

I'm leaving town today (we're going to yosemite - so very rural)- so, if I want medical care, I need to do it this morning.  my thought on the black is it might be blood.   the UC is close, so I'm twiddling my thumbs waiting for them to open.

I can get the rx (if I need an antibiotic) from a pharmacy across the street. 

Yeah, the dark part looks like pooled blood to me, like a hematoma. 

Yeah, the dark part looks like pooled blood to me, like a hematoma.

That's what the uc Dr thought.

There is a yellow center growing.

My dr, whom I emailed pix, mentioned mrsa. That was her biggest concern.