retiredHSmom Posted June 27, 2017 Share Posted June 27, 2017 My son is heading into his senior year. He plans to attend a senior military college and commission into military service when he graduates. He told me last week that he really wants to spend a year pitting himself against the wilderness. Living off the land and building his own house, hunting/trapping/growing his own food. We spent a long time chatting about this idea and fleshing out how it would work. A safety plan etc. He has skills to make this actually work. He is an eagle scout with a troop that does a lot of wilderness survival he has spent 150 nights in a tent and hiked over 300 miles in the last few years. He has helped build 4 decks and a great deal of furniture he has competed in marksmanship for the last two years. Our conversation was very much as though this was an unattainable but very desirable dream. I later mentioned it to my husband and the crazy thing is that I think we could make this happen. We live in the urban sprawl of Washington DC and my husband has long wanted to move out to the country but there are many job opportunities here, I love it here, we have a fantastic community, my parents and all my siblings live here. Anyway he and I recently came to the conclusion that we won't move but that at some future point we would look into buying 20-40 acres in the shenandoah foothills and build a weekend home. We had not mentioned this idea to any of our kids at all. So my husband thinks that we should buy the land sooner (like in the next year) and let our son homestead there for a year before we begin building on it. We haven't told our son yet. We would be about an hour and a half away and could visit occasionally. Have we lost it? Is this a reasonable idea at all? My heart says yes, my mind says no. This really would be his only chance if he does want to serve in the military for 20 years (he plans to have a family and already stated that he wouldn't want to leave a family to do it or expect a family to live like this so after his military career is out) I am going to contact the admissions departments for the colleges that he would like to apply to and see if he should apply then defer acceptance or just wait to apply (normally he would contact them, but I don't want to tell him that we are actively considering this plan and I think that the college piece is important in my decision making) so are we crazy? or really, really crazy? Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.