Menu

Essentials in Writing poll--grammar

kbutton

Essentials in writing--enough grammar?  

7 members have voted

1. 1. Essentials in writing...(older version if that matters)

• Has plenty of grammar work
    • Has adequate grammar work
    • Has minimal grammar work
    • Definitely requires a grammar supplement
  2. 2. If you think it's too light on grammar...

• I would always use it with a supplement
    • I would supplement it if I am using it multiple years
    • I would not worry about supplementing for one year
  3. 3. If you supplemented with Easy Grammar...

• I would use the full grade level of Easy Grammar
    • I would use Daily Grams

I plan to use Essentials in Writing next year with a 4th grade boy. He has completed MCT Island grammar as well as 3rd grade Daily Grams. I think EIW will be a nice fit for him in several ways, but it seems light on grammar to me.

I would like your thoughts about supplementing EIW or not. It's the older version, if that matters. 

I think I added a poll, but this is my first try at one. We'll see if it shows up.

I'll share my experience.  I used Level 6 with a 6th grader.  About half the book was grammar which for my kid was a good review.  The other half is more focused on the writing process.  Would I rely on it as the only grammar?  Probably not because I felt it was a bit light and random.  I used one level of Easy Grammar with my older kid a couple of years ago.  I didn't like it at all.  In fact we stopped using it about halfway through. I can't remember what bugged us about it, but yeah that was a bust.  We had done a ton of grammar up until that point so my guess is that he found it too easy.  So maybe that would not be so bad for someone without much grammar under their belt. 

We also read through Grammar Town.  I think reading through Grammar Town is an excellent compliment to just about anything.  And it doesn't take up much time.  I think MCT makes grammar concepts so clear and understandable. 

• Like 1

Thanks for the perspectives. I didn't realize you couldn't submit poll results if you can't answer all of the questions. Oops. Will remember that next time I make a poll.

For those recommending MCT--we will use it in the future, but probably every-other year. My older one has done through Voyage, but he would have zero mechanics if we didn't do Daily Grams as well.

It's hard doing enough without doing too much with some kids (mine). Whatever I decide for this year, I appreciate having the variety of opinions for my long-term planning as well. Thanks!

I'm not one who thinks you have to do grammar every single year, so even if it does turn out to be light, you can always do a grammar focus another year. (We've only used EIW levels 7 and up which don't include grammar.)

I tend to do grammar every year because mechanics concern me--my kids seem to need some steady practice in that regard, and this one has some language issues already. But conceptually, I think that they can learn in spurts. This kiddo picks up the conceptual stuff very quickly. 

This makes me feel better about an "experimental" year.

• Like 1