Menu

FYI: AoPS Calculus class is now CollegeBoard approved for AP Calculus BC (include Fall 2016 class)

Copied from their announcement on Facebook two hours ago.

"Our Calculus course has been approved as an AP Calculus BC course! This is an official recognition by The College Board that our Calculus course meets or exceeds the expectations colleges and universities have for this subject, and grants students permission to use the "AP" designation for our Calculus course if it's listed on their transcript.

However, do note that AP exam preparation still won't be the primary focus of our Calculus course. Students planning to take the AP Calculus BC exam after completing our course will also need to arrange to take it at their school or another nearby brick-and-mortar school – you can learn more about how to register for AP exams on the College Board's website"

It is also stated on their course page https://artofproblemsolving.com/school/course/calculus

ETA:

Received an email from student services to say the June 2016 class is included as well in the approval.

Edited by Arcadia in CA
  • Like 3

Having AP approval means little to me. I would have rather have them devote a class or two to test prep.

The AP approval would be useful for high school kids for their weighted GPA. Especially now that the AoPS calculus class is both UC a-g approved and Collegeboard approved.

My older boy's class had an extra session on how to use the graphing calculator. We just went through the Barron's book for test prep and that was tiring enough. I might just delay my younger boy's AoPS calculus class to 9th grade if he wants to take the AoPS class.

• Like 2

I wish they would devote a little time to test prep. Having AP approval means little to me. I would have rather have them devote a class or two to test prep.

Since for most, the AP exam is the "final"  I agree spending the equivalent of a "high school class week"  for exam prep should be added. They should add a physical week to the course ( they charge plenty already and this wouldn't kill them).

Sometimes the AoPS folks come across a little too "high-brow" IMHO.

Maybe if enough current customers (taking earlier courses) complained now they would.

• Like 1

Since for most, the AP exam is the "final"  I agree spending the equivalent of a "high school class week"  for exam prep should be added. They should add a physical week to the course ( they charge plenty already and this wouldn't kill them).

PAH's AP chemistry finishes a full month before the AP exam, and that entire month is devoted to test prep.  But chem covers a lot of disparate material.  

• Like 2

The AP approval would be useful for high school kids for their weighted GPA. Especially now that the AoPS calculus class is both UC a-g approved and Collegeboard approved.

My older boy's class had an extra session on how to use the graphing calculator. We just went through the Barron's book for test prep and that was tiring enough. I might just delay my younger boy's AoPS calculus class to 9th grade if he wants to take the AoPS class.

:iagree:

That extra boost will be helpful in admissions, especially at schools that don't employ a holistic approach to admissions and instead use a computer generated algorithm to select applicants.

For those that would prefer to use the AoPS class, but are concerned about the lack of practice problems, you could use the same supplemental resources used by some of the other online classes :

Be Prepared for the AP Calculus Exam by Skylight Publishing

CalcChat - a free online resource that gives solutions to odd numbered problems from the Larson textbook Calculus for AP

Released exams from the College Board (which also provide a grading rubric for the free response questions)

Fwiw, I am a huge AoPS fan, but I prefer the Larson textbook over the AoPS book, so my kids take the PAH calc class.  The Larson textbook walks the student through many of the same proofs as the AoPS book, but the Larson book also contains many more example problems that accompany each proof than the AoPS textbook provides.  In addition, at the end of each chapter, the Larson textbook provides a section of multiple choice and free response questions that mimic those found on the AP exam.

• Like 4

Does this apply only if you take the online course or can I label it AP even if he just uses the books? My DS absolutely loves AoPS and is working through the Calculus text in hopes of taking the AP exam next May (with some additional test prep resources I found recommended on here), but he doesn't like the pressure of someone else's schedule lol. It would be great if I could label his senior year "in progress" course as AP Calc BC on his transcript.

Sent from my Z988 using Tapatalk

Does this apply only if you take the online course or can I label it AP even if he just uses the books? My DS absolutely loves AoPS and is working through the Calculus text in hopes of taking the AP exam next May (with some additional test prep resources I found recommended on here), but he doesn't like the pressure of someone else's schedule lol. It would be great if I could label his senior year "in progress" course as AP Calc BC on his transcript.

no you would need to get your home course AP approved

• Like 1

While you can't call it "AP Calculus" without approval, as Mark stated, what you can do is call it "Calculus with AP BC exam." That's what we did, and colleges understood what it meant. Not a problem at all. You can put more details in your course descriptions to let them know exactly what you've covered.

Kids are all so different, aren't they? Some respond well to outside deadlines, while others find that they do better at their own speed. My kids were in the latter camp for calculus (though they enjoyed PA Homeschooler and AoPS classes for other subjects).  AoPS didn't have a calculus course at that time, but they self-studied at home, & I let them choose their text. My son chose an old calc book of mine by Thomas & Finney (like the thick modern calc books, but with extra theory like epsilon delta proofs). My daughter chose a slim book called Calculus for the Forgetful. I wouldn't recommend it for everyone, but it worked quite well in her case. She's very right brained & needs to see the big picture first, but with rigorous math. It's more like AoPS calc than standard texts.

Regardless of textbook choice, self-studiers should be OK as long as you include targeted AP exam review. And if you do choose to go with the AoPS course, then what I have listed below should provide plenty of drill & review:

I like Barron's prep book for MC practice. It's a huge book! My dd did all of the multiple choice problems as a followup to her textbook (text before Christmas & Barrons afterwards). I believe this cemented calc for her.

For FRQs I use only released questions. As others said, there are plenty on the CB website, along with grading rubrics. My favorite FRQ practice book, though, is a collection organized by AB/BC exam years. I noticed that it's now available as a *free* pdf download on the MOEMs site:

Solutions: AP Calculus Problems AB and BC: 1986-2000

Don't let the dates in the title deter you; the problems themselves haven't really changed over the years. What I especially like is how each FRQ has a model solution to show exactly what a great write up looks like (instead of just the rubric). Also, I love that there's a topical index to the problems in the front of the book. That way you can make sure your student has practiced all the different types, and you can give extra practice in any weak areas that might surface.

Finally, I'd suggest working through a complete released exam after everything else.

• Like 11

While you can't call it "AP Calculus" without approval, as Mark stated, what you can do is call it "Calculus with AP BC exam." That's what we did, and colleges understood what it meant. Not a problem at all. You can put more details in your course descriptions to let them know exactly what you've covered.

Kids are all so different, aren't they? Some respond well to outside deadlines, while others find that they do better at their own speed. My kids were in the latter camp for calculus (though they enjoyed PA Homeschooler and AoPS classes for other subjects). AoPS didn't have a calculus course at that time, but they self-studied at home, & I let them choose their text. My son chose an old calc book of mine by Thomas & Finney (like the thick modern calc books, but with extra theory like epsilon delta proofs). My daughter chose a slim book called Calculus for the Forgetful. I wouldn't recommend it for everyone, but it worked quite well in her case. She's very right brained & needs to see the big picture first, but with rigorous math. It's more like AoPS calc than standard texts.

Regardless of textbook choice, self-studiers should be OK as long as you include targeted AP exam review. And if you do choose to go with the AoPS course, then what I have listed below should provide plenty of drill & review:

I like Barron's prep book for MC practice. It's a huge book! My dd did all of the multiple choice problems as a followup to her textbook (text before Christmas & Barrons afterwards). I believe this cemented calc for her.

For FRQs I use only released questions. As others said, there are plenty on the CB website, along with grading rubrics. My favorite FRQ practice book, though, is a collection organized by AB/BC exam years. I noticed that it's now available as a *free* pdf download on the MOEMs site:

Don't let the dates in the title deter you; the problems themselves haven't really changed over the years. What I especially like is how each FRQ has a model solution to show exactly what a great write up looks like (instead of just the rubric). Also, I love that there's a topical index to the problems in the front of the book. That way you can make sure your student has practiced all the different types, and you can give extra practice in any weak areas that might surface.

Finally, I'd suggest working through a complete released exam after everything else.

Thank you, Kathy! I have followed some of your advice from other threads and already ordered Barron's and the book of old test questions and solutions :)

I knew I could put Calculus with AP exam on his transcript after the fact when he has already taken the exam (that's what we've done with his other APs) but I didn't know if I could legitimately put that on his senior year "in progress" transcript that will be sent with his applications in Aug/Sept since he won't be officially registered to take the exam until Feb/March. Thoughts?

• Like 1

I agree with everything Kathy has said here. When you get a review book, remember there were some changes to both the AB and BC topics starting with last year's exam. I don't remember exactly what they were, but I do know they included one more convergence test for series on BC and L'Hopital's rule on AB. So make sure you include the new topics in the m/c and look at last year's released free response. Also, timing on the exam changed for m/c.

Kids are all so different, aren't they? Some respond well to outside deadlines, while others find that they do better at their own speed. My kids were in the latter camp for calculus (though they enjoyed PA Homeschooler and AoPS classes for other subjects). AoPS didn't have a calculus course at that time, but they self-studied at home, & I let them choose their text. My son chose an old calc book of mine by Thomas & Finney (like the thick modern calc books, but with extra theory like epsilon delta proofs). My daughter chose a slim book called Calculus for the Forgetful. I wouldn't recommend it for everyone, but it worked quite well in her case. She's very right brained & needs to see the big picture first, but with rigorous math. It's more like AoPS calc than standard texts.

• Like 1

Thank you, Kathy! I have followed some of your advice from other threads and already ordered Barron's and the book of old test questions and solutions :)

I knew I could put Calculus with AP exam on his transcript after the fact when he has already taken the exam (that's what we've done with his other APs) but I didn't know if I could legitimately put that on his senior year "in progress" transcript that will be sent with his applications in Aug/Sept since he won't be officially registered to take the exam until Feb/March. Thoughts?

Yes, I titled the courses the same way for senior year & just noted that they were "in progress," as you plan to do. The kids didn't register for the exams until February here. It's fine!

• Like 1

I agree with everything Kathy has said here. When you get a review book, remember there were some changes to both the AB and BC topics starting with last year's exam. I don't remember exactly what they were, but I do know they included one more convergence test for series on BC and L'Hopital's rule on AB. So make sure you include the new topics in the m/c and look at last year's released free response. Also, timing on the exam changed for m/c.

Thanks for this reminder, Caroline!

If anyone's interested, you can find the details here.

• Like 1

Thank you, Kathy, for this information. I'm going to order that book right now before I forget about it!

• Like 1

• 7 months later...

Thank you, Kathy, for this information. I'm going to order that book right now before I forget about it!

Bumping an awesome thread: does anyone know if WTMA will have calculus this upcoming year? I would be great to be able to do calculus at a WTMA pace, not an AOPS pace. We have done a couple of their online classes, and they are just so fast and intense. DS loves AOPS, and the thought of going over to PAH just for the AP component would break his heart. But I have 2 questions:

a) What happens in college where there is no AOPS? The textbooks are probably a continuation of the standard textbooks? Has anyone found their child struggles in college?

b) Do you have to take an online class with AOPS for it to count as an AP class? Can you just work through the book? 

a) What happens in college where there is no AOPS? The textbooks are probably a continuation of the standard textbooks? Has anyone found their child struggles in college?

If he's planning on taking more math -- go to a good school where they have an honors calculus class that's more than an enrichment section. It's often called "calculus with theory" and it's common for it to use a book such as Spivak or Apostol. 

Otherwise, yeah, they kind of are pretty similar to continuing the standard textbooks while you're in differential equations and multivariable. It'll be heavily focused on computation. It'll get a little more rigorous and interesting once you get into classes that are doing proofs. 

If he can't go to a school that has a higher-level sequence, it is possible to ask the professor for recommendations for independent study, or work the problems at the end of the chapter (the ones that my undergrad advisor said "no one in his right mind would assign those for a calculus class here") and drop by and say "Oh, I was working this problem (I know it's extra) and I wanted to see if ... . I've had that happen occasionally, and I was delighted every time -- although occasionally I had to say "hey, there are a whole bunch of algebra students here, if you come back at ____ I'd love to discuss this with you"

• Like 4

Yes to everything kiana said. Take the honors sequence in college if it uses books like Spivak or Apostol for multivariable, diff eq, & linear algebra. After that, it shouldn't be a problem, as the upper level math major classes will be more proof based once you hit abstract algebra and real analysis.

I had my oldest work through parts of Apostol in his last year at home. My kids hit that level before AoPS had a caclulus book or course.  My second child refused to do a standard calc text (too tedious!), so she prepared for the AP exam by working through Calculus for the.Forgetful and Barron's AP review book.

I'd still give the online AoPS class a second look. They take 25 weeks to go through a 300 page book. Not too blistering a pace in my opinion. I'd just advise to get a review book targeted for the AP exam to work through on the side, if only to get an idea of how his answers should be written up to get maximum points.

If you want to count calculus as an official AP course on your son's transcript, then you have to take it from an approved provider. If he self studies, then you'd have to label it as "Calculus with AP BC exam" on his transcript instead. Btw, there's nothing wrong with that option. My kids did most of their APs that way.

• Like 1