Menu

what is your favorite crossbody purse/bag?

ProudGrandma

I have downsized the things I thought I needed in my purse and on my person all of the time...and now I am ready to buy a cute crossbody bag.  

I still have a wallet, my phone, a zippered pouch with a few things like lip balm etc in it...and probably a small pouch (3.5 x 2 x 1.5 inches) for my essential oils that I like to have with me.  But that is it...which is a far cry from what it was. 

I can spend probably about $30-$40 (but no more...and of course, cheaper would be better). 

I don't like things too flashy or bright...but maybe some color would be fun....stripes maybe?

I am petite and fairly small...

thanks.

I love Vera Bradley bags. Not because they were/are trendy, but because they have the organizational features I want and because many of them are vegan. They are very well-made, too, and the type I buy are washable. I buy mine used on eBay, but there are some nice new ones on sale now:

https://www.verabradley.com/us/browse/bags/crossbody-bags-3333500383+1829136418+3324099644+2231075815+2737338135+3499438249+1524649217?Nr=Site_ID%3AVBUS&VBNt=__0&cm_re=Homepage-_-Categories-_-Crossbody+Bags

They come in solid colors now (with pretty quilting) as well as in patterns. 

Edited by MercyA
  • Like 3

I love Vera Bradley bags. Not because they were/are trendy, but because they have the organizational features I want and because many of them are vegan. They are very well-made, too, and the type I buy are washable. I buy mine used on eBay, but there are some nice new ones on sale now:

https://www.verabradley.com/us/browse/bags/crossbody-bags-3333500383+1829136418+3324099644+2231075815+2737338135+3499438249?Nr=Site_ID%3AVBUS&VBNt=__0&cm_re=Homepage-_-Categories-_-Crossbody+Bags

Ooh, now I want a solid one.

I became a Vera Bradley convert about two years ago, after actively being anti-VB for a long time (I didn't want patterned purses). Besides the features you mentioned, I love how lightweight they are. I'm not good at keeping only the essentials in a purse, so I don't want the purse itself to add weight. I do that well enough on my own by filling it with unnecessary stuff. :D

The website often has clearance sales too. I found my current purse on the VB website for less than any eBay sellers were offering it.

ETA: Several crossbody bags are on sale now (though what I'm looking at is the weekender).

Edited by Lady Florida.
  • Like 3

I have a LeSportSac Small Cleo that I use daily.  I carry diapers, wipes, a wallet, kid snacks, etc in it, so it might be a bit too big for you.  They have tons of patterns, from wacky to plain, and, depending on the pattern, you can find them cheaper at Amazon and Nordstrom Rack.  Target had quite a few cute crossbodies this season, but I'm a tall person and they were too short for me.

Mine is from Overland Equipment but apparently they're not making bags any more. Baggallini has some cute ones as well. The Marshall's I go to has a decent selection of those in the $40 and under range. Amazon has them too.

Yes,Baggalini, I got mine from recommendations here, at tjmaxx

• Like 1

I'm another Vera Bradley convert. I thought the quilted patterns were frankly silly, until I needed a cross-body bag for a trip and saw a pattern or two I really liked. Now I love them and get a big kick out of going through the new patterns every season. I have the little crossbody and the hipster. The little crossbody is very little but nice for essentials. The hipster is pleasantly roomy but never bulky. I got it for a Disney trip and it quickly became my favorite everyday bag. It's a great size for essentials plus a bit, like a water bottle or book (or even a couple diapers and pack of wipes if that's your stage of life!). They're reasonably priced, especially the slightly older patterns, either on the Vera Bradley website, or Amazon. I personally don't give a fig if something's in season or last season or whatever, so mine have been in your price range or less.

• Like 2

I love my ebags Piazza crossbody!  I can hold a tiny water bottle in the side pocket.  It has so many pockets and it is lightweight, so I don't mind carrying it around even when I don't have a lot of stuff. I can tuck a change of clothes for my toddler or a book for myself or my bullet journal with no problem.

https://www.amazon.com/eBags-Piazza-Day-Bag-Slate/dp/B01609YU82/ref=sr_1_sc_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1498271184&sr=8-1-spell&keywords=crossbody+piazzaebags

I also have a smaller one that I love too.

https://www.amazon.com/eBags-Terrace-Mini-Bag-Sandstone/dp/B002BOJM2K/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1498271081&sr=8-3&keywords=crossbody+ebags

I bought a Baggallini after a recent thread about purses (thank you, Twigs!) and I absolutely love it. It's light weight with lots of compartments, pockets, and slots for organizing stuff. I got the one called "triple zip" (though it actually has five zippers!), and it's the perfect size for the amount of stuff I like to carry everyday. But I think most people would consider it pretty small, so you may want to look at some other designs as well.

I've had LeSportSac and Overland Equipment before and they are both nice as well. All of these are synthetic fabrics (nylon, I believe) which I like because it's so lightweight. If you prefer leather (or fake leather?) SteinMart always seems to have good prices on their handbags. I've gotten some cute Nine West bags there which look a little dressier. (But I like nylon for an everyday bag).

https://www.verabradley.com/us/browse/bags/crossbody-bags-3333500383+1829136418+3324099644+2231075815+2737338135+3499438249+1524649217?Nr=Site_ID%3AVBUS&VBNt=__0&cm_re=Homepage-_-Categories-_-Crossbody+Bags

And... I just bought one.  Love a sale!  Thank you, Mercy!

• Like 2

I have downsized the things I thought I needed in my purse and on my person all of the time...and now I am ready to buy a cute crossbody bag.

I still have a wallet, my phone, a zippered pouch with a few things like lip balm etc in it...and probably a small pouch (3.5 x 2 x 1.5 inches) for my essential oils that I like to have with me. But that is it...which is a far cry from what it was.

I can spend probably about $30-$40 (but no more...and of course, cheaper would be better).

I don't like things too flashy or bright...but maybe some color would be fun....stripes maybe?

I am petite and fairly small...

thanks.

I just this evening bought a Relic crossbody bag at JCP. Regular $54 on half price sale. I would love a leather one just like it.....but for the price it is pretty cute and the perfect size.

https://m.jcpenney.com/p/relic-evie-east-west-crossbody-bag/ppr5007174580?pTmplType=regular&Ntt=Relic%20purse&Ns=best%20match&N=&page=2

Mine is flowers and JCP had one with butterflies, one with stripes and one plain brown in the store.

Edited by Scarlett

My absolute favorite is my Thirty One Paris style one. It is on clearance on Thirty One online extras for 49.00, so a bit above what you wanted to pay, but I LOVE mine. It is really really good quality. I also like Vera Bradley anything, but my current VB is a bit small for me. I found some purses at Walmart like VB style crossbodys for a lot cheaper with all kinds of cute patterns. I was kind of thinking of buying one of those for my next one to try out. 

I was given a crossbody bag for Christmas. I like that the strap is adjustable. The fabric is probably faux leather. It feels sturdy. The label inside is Scarleton. I have a small frame. there are probably smaller crossbody bags, but I'm pretty content with the size. I use it on a regular basis. You can find them on Amazon. It would be in your price range, actually cheaper based on the results I got.

I used to be a VB fan, but the purse and wallet i ordered earlier this year were really poor quality and reeked of some chemical smell. I returned them and got a bag at WalMart. It's pretty much the same size as the VB Hipster, and they had three different patterns at my store. Mine is black with a multicolored swirl/floral pattern, not bright and flashy, but not boring solid color either.

I am hooked on the cross-body. But it has to hang well, have a sufficiently wide strap that isn't too wide because then it is bulky and ugly to me. I have narrow bony shoulders and too thin of a strap cuts I to me. Also the shape of the purse needs to be wider and flatter. I bought a. Liz Claibourne last year but it was a little too small and thick to hang just right. But I wore it out in a year.

Which brings me to my next point, I want a quality one, leather with a sturdy liner that doesn't shred inside. I need to not stuff too much inside, so that is part of it. I love the shape of the Relic I got last night, but I really wish it were leather. It was only $27 so I consoled myself thinking I could buy several and switch out and now I wish I would have. I prefer the classic leather look, but I could have fun with several to switch out and they will last a while that way.

Anyone know of a leather one in this shape?

https://m.jcpenney.com/p/relic-evie-east-west-crossbody-bag/ppr5007174580?pTmplType=regular&Ntt=Relic%20purse&Ns=best%20match&N=&page=2

I am hooked on the cross-body. But it has to hang well, have a sufficiently wide strap that isn't too wide because then it is bulky and ugly to me. I have narrow bony shoulders and too thin of a strap cuts I to me. Also the shape of the purse needs to be wider and flatter. I bought a. Liz Claibourne last year but it was a little too small and thick to hang just right. But I wore it out in a year.

Which brings me to my next point, I want a quality one, leather with a sturdy liner that doesn't shred inside. I need to not stuff too much inside, so that is part of it. I love the shape of the Relic I got last night, but I really wish it were leather. It was only $27 so I consoled myself thinking I could buy several and switch out and now I wish I would have. I prefer the classic leather look, but I could have fun with several to switch out and they will last a while that way.

Anyone know of a leather one in this shape?

That's a very common shape so shouldn't be hard to find a decent leather one at a good price. If you're patient you can find a good deal....summer sales are here. Fossil, Roots (excellent quality for the price), maybe the Coach outlet (though some of the outlet stuff isn't worth it IMO)....a good leather bag will last for a long time.

For my crossbody, I love my Tom Bihn small cafe bag. It's over your price range, but I wanted to post. They make a medium and large cafe bag too. They come in several color combinations and have the most well thought out design of any small bag I've ever carried. 

Second would be Baggallini and yes look at TJMaxx/Marshalls for cost savings.