Menu

Why!

Bluegoat

I am watching a discussion on FB.

Why oh why would you post an article on a very controversial topic, one that takes a polarized POV and uses rather inflammatory language, and then when someone comments about the content and disagrees and says why, accuse them of being insensitive?

• Like 1

People post those types of articles to connect with like-minded friends, not to have a debate

I think people who post things likely to offend or instigate "the other side" should customize the post so only their like-minded friends have to see it.

But if they really want everyone to see it, then they should be prepare for everyone to respond.

I personally don't respond to disagree with people on their own facebook page.  If a post is annoying enough, I will just hide it from my news feed.  But one time I responded only to point out a blatant misstatement of fact that was a smear on certain private citizens.  I simply corrected the record in a few words.  The poster couldn't take it.  I unfriended her.  I have no room on my news feed or in my day for that crap.  But anyhoo, that's when I learned that I have no business to say anything on anyone else's post besides "you're right."

• Like 3

My Mom does this. I'm not sure of the why. I think she sees her FB page as a place for her to post things she likes and she finds it offensive when someone uses her FB page to argue with her. I've tried to explain that if you post something that other people disagree and that is political that people are going to naturally discuss/argue/talk about it. And that if she doesn't like those arguments she should either only post to a select group or she should stop doing it.

She also hates argument and takes it very personally. She's a very black and white person. So if someone disagrees with her she takes it personally as opposed to "we just feel differently about this". It's been hard since the recent election because she and I have very different opinions. She's still my Mom so I try and not talk about politics at all with her. But she will bring it up and push and push me to give an opinion. Then I do and she gets offended. I don't think it's that she sees me as less intelligent or educated. I think she just cannot grasp how we can disagree about something fundamental and yet still have a relationship. 

• Like 3

My ds has an answer when I exclaim about things like this. I think he's right: He'll say, "Mom, the two groups are operating on a different set of 'facts.' "

The news bubbles are so strong, people who don't read/listen extensively outside their bubbles develop beliefs that they believe are true about the motivations of people in the other bubble. And often they are literally missing facts that those in the other bubble have . 

Regardless of political affiliation or lack thereof, I think the extent to which the citizens of the country are operating under "different sets of facts" is deeply disturbing. We're being affected by algorithms when we post on Facebook, when we google, etc. not to mention bots on Twitter or in comment sections. 

Edited by Laurie4b
  • Like 6

The poster isn't willing to get out of their bubble and see the other person's point of view.  The other will always be 'the other', ie. not of their tribe, and therefore not a person whose view is worthy of consideration.  The Enlightenment hasn't reached the poster. There will be no debate, as no other facts will be admitted.  You know the deal...anecdotes are seen as one-offs, and not considered as data points, so therefore the other will be dismissed.

Well, I have one (older) fb friend, not very tech savvy, who complains that he should not have to look at particular offensive (to him) fb options on "his computer." Can't quite understand how his thinking works on that. But personally I only have like-minded fb friends. To me, it is a place to see pics of people's kids, vacations, etc., and to commiserate or celebrate with "my people." I can't take the stress anymore of all the arguing and "debating." If someone gets on my nerves, I either unfollow or unfriend them, depending on whether I know them in "real life."

I have come to really like my "bubble," "rock," and "tribe." 

Edited by VaKim