Menu

Engineered hardwood flooring questions

trulycrabby

We are installing new hardwood floors in our house. Currently, there are 26 year old engineered wood floors that were glued to the subfloor, and the flooring company has recommended that we either tear out the current flooring, or install engineered hardwoods over the existing floor. For cost purposes, we are considering putting the new floors over the old, but I suppose we could tear out and replace if everyone here says to do it this way.

My question is, how do I research the hardwood flooring brands? Is there a WTM for flooring?

The brands I am currently considering are Anderson, Shaw, and Palmetto Road, based on what's available at the local flooring company.

Thanks for any help or suggestions. I am completely out of my element here. :ack2:

I will say- tearing out manufactured hardwood floors that were glued down was so much harder than I thought it would be. We hired it out and I have never been so glad of a choice. It was a lot more work than ripping out tile and took days. So if you tear out- I would highly recommend hiring it done! 

I think all of the brands you have listed are great. One thing I did learn is to price check multiple companies once you pick a floor. They will bid each other down. Never settle for the set price in the store. 

Before installing new hardwood floors over the top of the old hardwood floors, I would want to know how the thickness of the new hardwood would impact door clearance (would you have to cut some amount off the bottoms of your doors?), distance from floors to bottom of cabinets, difference in height between hardwood floor rooms and other rooms with different flooring material (carpet, tile), etc.  Also if your doors have trim around them, that might all have to be cut shorter as well.

Would there also have to be a layer of something installed in between the new and old floors?  That could add thickness as well.

Two layers of hardwood is a lot of weight.  I don't know anything about how houses are built to handle weight limits, but I would want to know in advance if this would be an issue.

Maybe none of these things would be a problem, but I would want to know in advance just in case.

• Like 4

Before installing new hardwood floors over the top of the old hardwood floors, I would want to know how the thickness of the new hardwood would impact door clearance (would you have to cut some amount off the bottoms of your doors?), distance from floors to bottom of cabinets, difference in height between hardwood floor rooms and other rooms with different flooring material (carpet, tile), etc. Also if your doors have trim around them, that might all have to be cut shorter as well.

Would there also have to be a layer of something installed in between the new and old floors? That could add thickness as well.

Two layers of hardwood is a lot of weight. I don't know anything about how houses are built to handle weight limits, but I would want to know in advance if this would be an issue.

Maybe none of these things would be a problem, but I would want to know in advance just in case.

I have asked about flooring height compared to the doors, and it will not be an issue. Added weight to the house is an excellent question, and I will ask the flooring company. I will also ask about what other possible materials go between the two floors. Thank you very much! :)

Edited by trulycrabby