Menu

Hot dogs in a crock pot

klmama

I was looking for something else on Pinterest and came across the idea of putting 60 hotdogs on end in a crock pot with no water to heat them - 4 hours on low or 2 on high.  They said they had to be regular hot dogs, not bun length.  Since I want to do it with bun length, I'd like to find someone with experience heating them by laying them down in the crock pot?  Did they turn out okay?  How many were you able to fit?

So I'm totally avoiding being useful and read a bunch of online reviews. People who didn't stand their hot dogs up complained about the ones on the bottom getting crunchy. I have a crockpot that comes with 3 crocks (2, 4, 6 qt sizes). The 6 would be tall enough for bun length dogs. Maybe you could borrow a taller crockpot? Or just use regular hot dogs and don't worry about bun length! :)

I've done them laying down with water in the crock. I don't know how many, but it was a lot in a 6qt crock. I didn't have any issues. Maybe some discoloration after a while but it didn't affect taste. I think I heated them up before hand and transferred.

Side note: I took it to a homeschooling event--you know one of those where everyone plays "healthier-than-thou" with the potluck? And they were a hit 😈

Edited by Forget-me-not
  • Like 2

I have made them in a crockpot before and they split, so I would use the lower time.

Here's a link for hot dogs done in an Instant Pot that I was going to do for s potluck, but we ended up grilling the dogs instead, so don't know how they would turn out. I am sure you could do this in a crock pot instead.

https://thisoldgal.com/pressure-cooker-dirty-water-hotdogs/

I've never done the crock pot, but I have stuffed hot dogs in a huge thermos, poured boiling water over them, and took them with us for a picnic lunch. I'm twitchy about food poisoning, but after 4-5 hours they were still extremely hot. Too hot to eat right away. It worked really well, and was a nice change from boring sandwiches.

Ruined the thermos though. The hot dog smell never comes out.