Menu

What books do you like to read for fun?

meganrussell

I am a bookworm, and I always have a book I'm reading. However, with five kids and all of my household duties, I usually can read in twenty to thirty minute spirits and sometimes not that long. I often choose simple books to read, books that don't require much brain energy, and I was wondering if any of you do the same?

Currently, I've been hooked on Murder She Wrote books and Nancy Drew. Books that aren't deep, emotional, or difficult to read. Am I alone? The librarian laughed when I checked out the Nancy Drew's, but she did say she was glad someone was reading them.

That was me for years. Not light mysteries but other light "no think" books as my friend calls them. I read mostly for relaxation.

I am starting to read (and listen to) more books that require a bit more thought but we have no foster children at the moment and mine are all older and don't need as much supervision.

I can't remember the titles or authors but there was a series of books that was really light and funny about a lady in a retirement community and her escaped there. I believe it was written by an older lady herself. Just light and fun.

If you want some light fare I've been enjoying "The Chronicles of St. Mary's" series by Jodi Taylor.  It involves time travel.

Also, Jasper Fforde's "Tuesday Next" books... these are especially nice for Bibliophiles. 

but are light and fun and don't require a ton of brain power to keep up with. 

• Like 2

Different scale, but I like gritty detective fiction. Michael Connelly is my favorite author. Be prepared for tough scenes though, and definitely adult content. I'm so thrilled that Amazon has turned his work into their Bosch series!

I am a bookworm, and I always have a book I'm reading. However, with five kids and all of my household duties, I usually can read in twenty to thirty minute spirits and sometimes not that long. I often choose simple books to read, books that don't require much brain energy, and I was wondering if any of you do the same?

Currently, I've been hooked on Murder She Wrote books and Nancy Drew. Books that aren't deep, emotional, or difficult to read. Am I alone? The librarian laughed when I checked out the Nancy Drew's, but she did say she was glad someone was reading them.

If you like mystery and easy reads, check out the Agatha Christie books and the Cat Who books. I have been a fan of Nancy Drew too!

Edited by MommyLiberty5013
  • Like 2

Yeah the year I was trying to get pregnant I STACKED my bookshelf with deep philosophical tomes, political expositions, etc. It was all very impressive :laugh:

I knew. And I was right. Once the baby got here, it was all YA science fiction, comedies, and Amish/western romances. He's pushing 21 months and I haven't read anything serious in that time, except in short bursts. I do try to keep something deeper open on Kindle just so that muscle doesn't atrophy completely, but it's just a phase.

When I was trying to transition from almost no reading (when I had infants/toddlers) to more reading, I found Kurt Vonnegut to be perfect. Most of his books are written in short snippets so I could literally read for just 60 seconds ( :lol: ) if that was all the time I had before I had to put the book down to go chase a toddler. Yet his writing is profound even thought it is short & simple, imo. (I'm a Vonnegut fan so feel free to factor that into my advice.) I think he's a great author when you're starting to stretch those mind muscles again but stretches of time to read are almost non-existent.

• Like 3

I think series are useful when you don't have much brain power, because no need to invest in a new setting or characters.

I'm powering through a sci-fi/fantasy series which thankfully has a lot of books in the series. Start with The Warrior's Apprentice (Lois McMaster Bujold) and go from there. Not too sciencey, more space fantasy. I've enjoyed all her books bar The Spirit Knife series, which was too cliched. 

Nora Roberts also useful for that - The Key trilogy was a good one, or if you prefer mystery, Chesapeake Bay series. Very light, always a happy ending. I find her series under J D Robb and some of her stand-alones too violent for me though. 

• Like 2

I like series books, in order. Cozy mysteries (The Cat Who... and Donna Andrews are my current favourites), historical romances ( Mary Balogh is my current author of choice), and paranormals (most recently Benedict Jacka's series). I'm also working my way through Lee Child's Reacher series.

• Like 2

Look at Jan Karon's Mitford series. It is billed as "Gentle reading" and that is what it is but entertaining.

I also recommend the Amelia Peabody series by Elizabeth Peter. Mystery and humor combined.

And... what is the title of those books where the community is pretty tight knit, they drink "squunk water" or something similar form a local spring and the main person is someone called "Quill" who is dating the town's librarian?...Not to be confused with Quill here on the forum.

Edited by Liz CA
  • Like 2

Look at Jan Karon's Mitford series. It is billed as "Gentle reading" and that is what it is but entertaining.

I also recommend the Amelia Peabody series by Elizabeth Peter. Mystery and humor combined.

And... what is the title of those books where the community is pretty tight knit, they drink "squunk water" or something similar form a local spring and the main person is someone called "Quill" who is dating the town's librarian?...Not to be confused with Quill here on the forum.

Those are The Cat Who......by Lillian Jackson Braun. I recently was able to start at the beginning thanks to my library's Overdrive. They are wonderful! :)

I used to love Mitford. I need to revisit that series soon.

Love Amelia Peabody audio books!

• Like 3

My current fluff escape are Lee Child's Jack Reacher books.  They are most definitely not enlightening literature, but absolutely perfect for a winter (here) weekend afternoon under a duvet.

There are 24 books in the series and I've read 10 so far.

• Like 3

I like to read children's chapter books. I like to pick from the Newbery Honor or Newbery award winners. Books are usually short, clean and have a great message. And since lately it's hard to find the time to read, a quick, short read is all I have time for.

I do the same thing! I love childrens chapter books especially historical fiction.

• 2 weeks later...

I definitely go through times of needing lighter books. Sometimes that means lighter in tone, so I'll look for books that I know will have a happy ending or that doesn't require deep thinking. Other times I need something I can race through, so things like children's books are perfect. I hadn't thought about revisiting Nancy Drew--that sounds fun!

You might like the Chloe Ellefson series.

Chloe is a historian that works at a living history museum but she keeps getting caught up in murder mysteries.

http://www.kathleenernst.com/chloe_ellefson.php

I read paranormal romances when I really want to not have to think.  Sherilyn Kenyon, Christine Dodd are what I've been reading lately.

I like the JD Robb In Death series when I can step it up a little bit.  Maybe some re-reads of old science fiction/fantasy like Mercedes Lackey, Barbara Hambly and F. Paul Wilson.

I'm doing a Book Challenge this year and I'm pretty much alternating light and fluffy with some of the harder categories.  I tried to start reading Neil DeGrasse Tyson's Astrophysics for People in a Hurry on the beach during dd's swim practice and that just was not working.