Menu

The Backyard Games Teachers Lounge 6-19-2017

scrapbookbuzz

Good morning, all! Happy Monday and welcome to the Lounge!

Today's theme stems from the event I had a booth at this weekend. It was called Front Porch Pickins, 

kind of a Midwestern, small town, country feel to it even though it was in the big city of Phoenix. It also

had a section called Backyard Games which I think was a misnomer because other than corn hole, the games

for the kids were a climbing wall, a couple of huge not-for-little-kids inflatable bouncy houses, and I think that was it.

Made me wonder, though . . . 

What kind of backyard games do you/have you played? Here: we've played and have a set of bocce ball. Haven't had that

out in a couple of years, though. Hmmm. Maybe when it gets cooler (like in September when temps will finally be below 100*F

on a daily basis!), I'll get it out again.

If you don't have a backyard (like us), where do your kids play? Here: ds is on summer swim team but he doesn't really consider that

'play' and it's not. I think Discovery Guard is more his style - it's more fun for him, I think. Other than that the kids mostly stay inside right now.

Just too darn HOT to go outside most of the day.

If you go somewhere other than home to play, where do you go? Here: I really miss having a family membership to the zoo! We always enjoyed

our visits, and (bonus!) I've discovered I learned a lot during those visits, really just by reading the signs posted by each exhibit. I'm pretty good at

identifying primates! Of course, that was through the years when a zoo membership for a family was much less expensive than it is now!

Talk to me! :bigear:

• Like 1

This morning for me is supposed to be "admin day" meaning, I figure out what needs to get done in the week, 

what calls I need to make, menus and meal prep that needs to be done. But I'm still TIRED. And I now have it on my brain

to really plan the next school year's curriculum. So, we'll see what actually happens! 

• Like 1

Backyard games for us include: soccer, tag, man hunt, croquet, badminton, bocce ball, lawn darts (or other target games), trampoline play, volleyball, water play, tree climbing.

Other places to play:  Friends, park, field, open gym, swimming pool.

Edited by wintermom
  • Like 2

No young kids to play anymore. But 18 month old grandson is visiting so we bought a wading pool

Back in the day we had volleyball and badminton. Now that the kids are grown, biking, hiking, and kayaking are their entertainment for outdoors. The biking and hiking happen the most because we me have state land and trails nearby. We have to plan ahead to take the kayaks up to the lake.

• Like 2

Adrian is 9 today!

Backyard Games: As few as possible lol  I really don't like dirt and sweat and I grew up in a place where you work up a sweat just standing still thanks to the humidity.  So, mostly, I've always stayed inside.

Kids Play: We have a small backyard, but mostly the boys play on the deck.  It's two stories and the lower deck has two levels like there's a little stage.  The upper deck provides shade for the lower deck so it's not awful to be on when it's hot out.

Somewhere Other Than Home: Usually the library's playground.  Or a park not far from us.  Or a park that is a bit far from us, but has the most amazing playground ever.

• Like 1

I'm going to close up shop early today. I can't find one of my Sonlight Core IG's and it's really bugging me! 

Plus, I have to do laundry, study, and head to a meeting. I'll see you all tomorrow!

Oh, wait. . . I may not. See, it's supposed to get up to 120*F here tomorrow and I REALLY don't want to be here for that.

SO ... I might just pack up the kids and be gone for the day - to a town a couple of hours and a higher eleveation away!

We'll see.

• Like 1