Menu

Hobbies/ Projects for a 10 year old boy

LarlaB

My DS is almost 10 and I'm looking to draw/point him towards some new hobbies and DIY projects for summer- that don't include screens (ETA continue to expand interests beyond Xbox YouTube and FaceTime)

He likes Xbox games, RC boat and quadcopter, reading, playing trombone, board games and being with others. He's played a few sports but not a "sporty" type. Very social 😜

He does a fair amount of chores (mowing lawn, laundry, cleaning etc) and is a very helpful kiddo- although not terribly self motivated.

I'd like to find a project for him to work on- building something he can use.

He doesn't like Legos or snap circuits- seems to find them limiting somehow. He's never been a play with building toys kid other than matchbox car tracks.

I'm pondering wandering around hobby lobby or a hobby store to see what catches his eye...but that can be dangerous. Thought I'd check here first!!

Edited by LarlaB

Not implenting a no screen rule- sorry if I wasn't clear. I'm looking for activities that don't involve screens.

He, like most, would spend 8 hours on Xbox if allowed....I'd like to offer some new options or incentives.

• Like 2

My son liked making stuff from the Mini Weapons of Mass Destruction series. I think the book we bought was the Siege Weapons of the Dark Ages.

He also likes to make things with duct tape—wallet, etc. I saw a book today at a rummage sale with duct tape projects.

I also got him started on a plastic canvas kit where you stitch the individual holes with yarn and then stitch them together to make a little house.

Does your local library have summer reading program activities that he could tap into? Ours has some great STEM, crafty, and tech stuff that kids that age enjoy.

Erica in OR

• Like 1

when 1ds was that age - I bought/acquired old computers and peripherals.  he was allowed to deconstruct and reconstruct to his little hearts content. he combined pieces  from different machines.  he learned a lot about the physical structures of computers.  since they were old, I didn't care if they didn't work when he was done.  (they did.)

he was reminding me of this when he bought new computer parts (so they could put it together themselves) for dudeling to have a computer he could game on.  "but he's nine" . . . "so was I mom" . .  . oh.  

sort of an advanced "snap circuts".

Edited by gardenmom5
  • Like 1

My son liked making stuff from the Mini Weapons of Mass Destruction series. I think the book we bought was the Siege Weapons of the Dark Ages.

He also likes to make things with duct tape—wallet, etc. I saw a book today at a rummage sale with duct tape projects.

I also got him started on a plastic canvas kit where you stitch the individual holes with yarn and then stitch them together to make a little house.

Does your local library have summer reading program activities that he could tap into? Ours has some great STEM, crafty, and tech stuff that kids that age enjoy.

Erica in OR

I love the book suggestion...

Will check out library options- I know there are take home kits but the last I checked they were not his style.

Thanks!

• Like 1

when 1ds was that age - I bought/acquired old computers and peripherals. he was allowed to deconstruct and reconstruct to his little hearts content. he combined pieces from different machines. he learned a lot about the physical structures of computers. since they were old, I didn't care if they didn't work when he was done. (they did.)

he was reminding me of this when he bought new computer parts (so they could put it together themselves) for dudeling to have a computer he could game on. "but he's nine" . . . "so was I mom" . . . oh.

sort of an advanced "snap circuts".

He's done a little of this IRK- bought & helped DH put an upgraded graphics card in 'his' desktop computer for gaming....

I realize that this site is on a screen, but the activities on DIY.org don't necessarily involve screens and could give you and him ideas.

I have never heard of this- it looks interesting! Still screen time but an entirely different motivation.

• Like 1

Check out the JM Cremp's website. It's run by a family with four or five boys here in MN, but their have an online store.

If he likes RC boats...what about building his own model, RC boat? They are quite elaborate and can be a variety of scales and styles.

Edited by MommyLiberty5013