Menu

New Macbook suggestions

DawnM

They pretty much look the same to me.  Macbook pro, macbook air, etc....

Yes, I know about the education discount

Yes, I know about refurbished

I am just asking if anyone recommends one over the other????  It doesn't look like it matters much.

I also don't see any special offers for college students.  Am I missing something?  Usually there is a free something.....itunes gift card or something.

Thanks,

Dawn

• Like 1

The best option will depend on your purpose and your budget. The Air is less powerful but lighter and more compact, the Pro is more powerful but more expensive. I think the screens and resolution are better on the Pro.

I was on a pretty tight budget and needed portability over power, so I got a refurbished Macbook Air. I've had it for about 9 months, and it's been perfect for what I needed and how much I wanted to spend. The only thing I miss having is a CD/DVD drive. The drive only came with the significantly more expensive MacBook, which was way too expensive and bulky for my needs. I may end up buying an external drive, but for now I just use our desktop Mac for disks.

I would suggest figuring into your budget the price of getting Apple Care if at all possible. I think deals will come out in a month or so, closer to when school is starting back. I don't remember there being significant discounts last year through Apple, though. Maybe a promo package with headphones or something?

• Like 2

This article has a good comparison of the different models: https://www.laptopmag.com/articles/macbook-vs-air-vs-pro

Personally, I would stay away from the MacBook (plain MB--i.e. not Air or Pro). While it's very light and has a nice screen display, the battery life and processor speed are comparatively poor, and its functionality is limited by only having 1 USB port. IMO Air or Pro are much better options for the money.

Edited by meena
  • Like 4

Thanks guys!

It actually isn't for my college student, it is for me. But we have a college student, so we could get a deal if it comes out. But I do qualify for the education discount.

To me, a USB drive is a big deal. I was shocked to find out USB is considered old technology and on the way out. USB is how I store eBook PDFs. When I have not had a device capable of reading my USB drives, it has been difficult.

Apple adapters do not always allow all formats to be read. And adapter is NOT a USB slot replacement.

The Air only has one USB slot on each side. If the external CD drive needs to plug into two USB slots to do higher powered things, make sure that is possible somehow. I used to have a first gen Air and an external drive and had problems, and never got around to figuring out my options before the Air went black screen just before I moved and I just tossed it in the trash.

I have seen the latest Air side by side against the newer models and the screen is a LOT better than the Air. And the Air was so much clunkier.

But the Air had USB.

Best Buy had the Air on sale for $799 for awhile alongside a rumor that the Air was being discontinued. Last I checked the price went back up and I don't hear the rumor anymore.

The Air has USB. Did I say the Air has USB? :lol:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 2

I have the new Macbook Pro with the Touchbar and I absolutely love it. It's much lighter than my old one, and the retina display is absolutely stunning. It's also slightly smaller than both my older MacBook and the newest Air, because the screen doesn't have the wide black frame around it.

It doesn't have the older, large USB ports, it has the new small USB-C (Thunderbolt) ports, but it has 4 of them (one of which is used for the power cord when it's plugged in). I just got an adaptor to use with older USB devices. I think within a year or two USB-C will be the default, so I figured people will be using adaptors for a few years anyway, either in one direction or the other.

Edited by Corraleno
  • Like 5

RE: Screen and Keyboard   I don't know if Apple offers "Matte" (non-glare) Screens, but if so that is something we highly recommend. We have 6 "Enterprise" grade Dell Laptops with "Matte" screens. So much easier on the eyes.  Also, the Keyboard is something you should look at closely. The interaction of one with a machine (Desktop or Laptop) is via the Peripherals.  The largest Screen you can get, within your size/weight/budget limits also makes it easier on the user.  The Mousepad, etc.  Those are expensive machines so get the longest Apple warranty you can afford. Not a 3rd party warranty from a store. 

RE: Screen and Keyboard   I don't know if Apple offers "Matte" (non-glare) Screens, but if so that is something we highly recommend. We have 6 "Enterprise" grade Dell Laptops with "Matte" screens. So much easier on the eyes.  Also, the Keyboard is something you should look at closely. The interaction of one with a machine (Desktop or Laptop) is via the Peripherals.  The largest Screen you can get, within your size/weight/budget limits also makes it easier on the user.  The Mousepad, etc.  Those are expensive machines so get the longest Apple warranty you can afford. Not a 3rd party warranty from a store. 

Have you used an apple before?  

• Like 1

ok, after reading all of this and comparing, I am looking at the Macbook Pro 13".  I currently have a 15" but I like the portability of the 13" and would like to take it back and forth to work.

For $500 I get two extra thunderbolt connections and a toucher.  is it really worth $500 for that????

I currently have a 15" and am wondering if I will miss the larger screen.

I hate making decisions!

Are you able to get to an Apple store or Best Buy to see them? We ended up returning the one we bought for dd and buying a size up. I think it's really personal. She LOVES the new touch bar. The benchmarks are good on older models, so if you don't even like the touchbar it doesn't matter. Well I say that, but the touch ID is killer. She feels like it makes it less likely to be stolen. 

Are they even updating the Airs? I thought they were toast. The Airs are kind of underpowered, but I can see why you want away from the bulk. 

It's really just going to be a personal thing of trading off bulk and screen size. Why are you taking it to work? I have an iphone 7 plus, and that screen is big enough to surf, etc., quite easily. Are you needing it for work? You need to do word processing at work? You could go with a bigger phone for work and bigger computer that you keep at home.

• Like 1

I second (or third) the idea of going into a brick and mortar store and checking the different models out.  I am not suggesting that you buy in a brick and mortar store, possibly that is good, or possibly it is bad, depending on the price and how recent the inventory they have in stock is, with regard to technology changes in the products.

Going to a smaller Screen may well bother you. I went, 7 days ago, from a 15.6" Screen to a 14.1" screen (my Wife now has the Dell Precision M4500 Mobile Workstation and I am back with this Dell Latitude E6410 Laptop). That gives her some additional power, for what she does with a computer.

Back to the topic: Almost 2 years ago, my wife bought an ACER mini laptop for her DIL.  It is not as powerful or of the quality of the older Dell Enterprise class laptops we have in the house. But, she needed something she could carry around in a Backpack during the day and have a school at night.  I think it only has an 11 or 12 inch Screen.  I think it only has 2 GB of RAM.  But, it is small and it is light and it does what she needs to do. If she had one of the Laptops we have in the house, it would take up more room in her Backpack and it would weigh more and carrying dead weight around all day is difficult.

Everything one buys is a compromise between Size/Power/Weight/Cost/Quality.  You need to decide which of those is the top priority and go from there. Priority #1 is:     Priority #2 is:     Priority #3 is:  

RE: "Matte" vs "Glossy" screens.  I find looking at a Glossy Screen for more than a few minutes, especially if there are lights on, very difficult.  The Glare is very distracting. If Apple produces Laptops with "Matte" screens, that would get my vote in a heartbeat.

Investigate thoroughly before you buy. Read the Online reviews. Try to buy where you can return it if there is an issue with it AND also where you can return it for a refund if you do not like it after trying it for a few days. 

The freebies usually come at the end of the summer/early fall.

I myself got a MacBook Pro about a year and a half ago.  In hind site, a MacBook Air would have been just fine.  Refurbished is fine too.  You can always get an external CD drive if needed.

I second (or third) the idea of going into a brick and mortar store and checking the different models out.  I am not suggesting that you buy in a brick and mortar store, possibly that is good, or possibly it is bad, depending on the price and how recent the inventory they have in stock is, with regard to technology changes in the products.

Going to a smaller Screen may well bother you. I went, 7 days ago, from a 15.6" Screen to a 14.1" screen (my Wife now has the Dell Precision M4500 Mobile Workstation and I am back with this Dell Latitude E6410 Laptop). That gives her some additional power, for what she does with a computer.

Back to the topic: Almost 2 years ago, my wife bought an ACER mini laptop for her DIL.  It is not as powerful or of the quality of the older Dell Enterprise class laptops we have in the house. But, she needed something she could carry around in a Backpack during the day and have a school at night.  I think it only has an 11 or 12 inch Screen.  I think it only has 2 GB of RAM.  But, it is small and it is light and it does what she needs to do. If she had one of the Laptops we have in the house, it would take up more room in her Backpack and it would weigh more and carrying dead weight around all day is difficult.

Everything one buys is a compromise between Size/Power/Weight/Cost/Quality.  You need to decide which of those is the top priority and go from there. Priority #1 is:     Priority #2 is:     Priority #3 is:  

RE: "Matte" vs "Glossy" screens.  I find looking at a Glossy Screen for more than a few minutes, especially if there are lights on, very difficult.  The Glare is very distracting. If Apple produces Laptops with "Matte" screens, that would get my vote in a heartbeat.

Investigate thoroughly before you buy. Read the Online reviews. Try to buy where you can return it if there is an issue with it AND also where you can return it for a refund if you do not like it after trying it for a few days. 

I don't think you are very familiar with Apple.  There are only two sizes, 13" and 15".  I had a 12" at work this year, so I know what that size looks like (it wasn't apple but the screen size was comparable.)

I now have narrowed down the RAM and memory, etc....with the help of a friend who knows apple computers inside and out. 

I hadn't realized that Apple had gone to only 2 sizes and only two models, so he has been helpful.

He can't make the decision of the screen size for me though.  I am still debating.  I was fine with the 12" at work but did like the 15" when I was at home.

• Like 1

The freebies usually come at the end of the summer/early fall.

I myself got a MacBook Pro about a year and a half ago.  In hind site, a MacBook Air would have been just fine.  Refurbished is fine too.  You can always get an external CD drive if needed.

Apparently the Air is being phased out.  And the Air has less power than the Macbook Pro.

After some research, and asking people, I am getting strong recommendations to go with the Pro, 8gb minimum, and 512gb memory minimum.

Do the freebies come with the refurbished or only the non-refurbished?

My current laptop had issues after 2 years, but I had applecare and they replaced a bunch of stuff for free.  My desktop has had no issues, but was a refurbished model.  It is a 2011 model.

• Like 2

Apparently the Air is being phased out.  And the Air has less power than the Macbook Pro.

After some research, and asking people, I am getting strong recommendations to go with the Pro, 8gb minimum, and 512gb memory minimum.

Do the freebies come with the refurbished or only the non-refurbished?

My current laptop had issues after 2 years, but I had applecare and they replaced a bunch of stuff for free.  My desktop has had no issues, but was a refurbished model.  It is a 2011 model.

In my experience the freebies come with the new products.  Now that I think of it though, they are more often geared toward students, which is why those offers usually happen late summer/early fall.  Sometimes you need to state your college.  

This sounds like a good plan.  I have a Pro i5, 8 gb ram/256, 2014, bought new at a Black Friday sale at Best Buy. I don't use my storage really (because it's too much of a chore to make my android phone talk to my macbook to download my photos).  But I have a hard time buying a new computer that isn't the latest specs, especially with a macbook that will likely have a long life but doesn't appear to be easily upgradeable.  (Mine is 2.5 yrs old already and is in like-new condition, as far as I can tell.)  I have the 13" with retina display.  It's perfect for me.

Last year, for my dd who needed a computer for photo editing, I bought a 2015 Pro refurb 15" with an i7, 16 gb ram and 512 gb storage.  She easily filled up the 512 and I recently bought yet another external drive for her to offload her photos.  She totally maxes out the power on that thing when she's editing photos in Lightroom.  Going for the maximum power and size was the right choice for her needs.  I would not hesitate to buy another refurb.

As for the regular MacBooks, I vaguely recall they have M processors?  I can't remember why I am skeptical of the M chips; maybe because I don't like the Microsoft Surface 3.

That reminds me, I need to buy iPads this summer for my boys for their high school.  They will have some form of PC at home.  But still, I need these things to last four years.  I will have some decisions to make on which ones and from where.

Edited by wapiti

Just FYI, Best Buy had $300 off coupons last August that they sent out to .edu emails in August.

I bought me a new Mac last August with my daughter's coupon she got with her college email.

Just FYI. You might want one quicker, but if you're not in a hurry, make sure to check it out!

• Like 2

Just FYI, Best Buy had $300 off coupons last August that they sent out to .edu emails in August.

I bought me a new Mac last August with my daughter's coupon she got with her college email.

Just FYI. You might want one quicker, but if you're not in a hurry, make sure to check it out!

Oh good to know, how do you get on their list?  My son is in college and has an edu address. 

I spent a bit of time deleting things from my current MacBook Pro yesterday and it seems to be running better, so I may be able to wait.

Do you use something to see how much of your RAM you're using, what your temp is, etc.? I use iStat Menus, and I think/assume dd installed it on her laptop as well. You can set it to display all the time your temp, RAM, how much of your drives are full, etc. I tend to have a lot going at once, so even with 16GB RAM I'm usually watching it. Anyways, might help you see where your problem is. And if you have 16GB RAM right now and are using it all, you don't want to go less. 

The other thing is to compare your machine now (if it works well enough) to benchmarks online for the machine you're considering. You can take your current machine to the benchmark site (just google to find it) and benchmark it. That way you'll know if the new unit is ACTUALLY faster or slower, etc. Since we run photoshop, Lightroom, etc. on our machines, I really have to make sure that what we're buying actually is an improvement and is going to work.

• Like 1

Do you use something to see how much of your RAM you're using, what your temp is, etc.? I use iStat Menus, and I think/assume dd installed it on her laptop as well. You can set it to display all the time your temp, RAM, how much of your drives are full, etc. I tend to have a lot going at once, so even with 16GB RAM I'm usually watching it. Anyways, might help you see where your problem is. And if you have 16GB RAM right now and are using it all, you don't want to go less. 

The other thing is to compare your machine now (if it works well enough) to benchmarks online for the machine you're considering. You can take your current machine to the benchmark site (just google to find it) and benchmark it. That way you'll know if the new unit is ACTUALLY faster or slower, etc. Since we run photoshop, Lightroom, etc. on our machines, I really have to make sure that what we're buying actually is an improvement and is going to work.

No, I have 4GB RAM right now, not 16.

No, I have 4GB RAM right now, not 16.

Oh see I'd die at 4, lol. Right now I have 25+ browser tabs open and I'll have Lightroom and library database software, etc., going, all at the same time. I don't think they even sell computers with less than 8 right now. If I were buying new, I'd put in 32 for a machine for me, lol.

Edited by OhElizabeth

Oh good to know, how do you get on their list? My son is in college and has an edu address.

I spent a bit of time deleting things from my current MacBook Pro yesterday and it seems to be running better, so I may be able to wait.

Oh good to know, how do you get on their list? My son is in college and has an edu address.

??????  There was no actual message here.

DawnM read the reviews on the web, about the different models, and think about what you will be doing with it during the next 12 months.  It will probably work for at least 5 or 10 years, but the thing to buy for is what you do now, not 5 or 10 years from now.