Menu

Lit./Comp. Grades 7 & 8... I have to decide on a game plan!

wehave8

First... I was looking for a Lit. program.  
I thought I was narrowing this down to 2 choices..
1. Essentials in Literature
2. Excellence in Lit.

Then... it rolled over into a search for writing.   
I found...
1. Writing & Rhetoric
2. Beyond the Book Report

Now... I don't know what I want!   :confused1: 

I was not looking for grammar (I thought we had that one covered), but BtBR with AG looks like a great combo!

Any objections?   :001_smile: 

Please help with reviews, pros, & cons!!!

Pam

Edited by wehave8
  • Like 1

I am only familiar with W&R Fable and Narrative I which is geared toward grades 3 and 4. They are great though so I might imagine the other books in the series are equally good. There are 12 of them I believe and each one covers about half a year so if you go at a normal pace you can make it through two books in a year or just do one semester of it. Hopefully someone else who has had some experience with later books in the series can chime in.

Edited by nixpix5
  • Like 1

After looking more at BtBR, it seems that it covers all of language arts if used with AG...grammar, writing , and lit., where W&R Is just writing, and I would want to get a lit. program to go with it (as well as doing our grammar)?????????

Is this correct?

Pam

Edited by wehave8

Toss-up...

Unless someone throws a loop into this   :tongue_smilie: ...

1.  Writing and Rhetoric, Essentials in Literature, AG

2.  Beyond the Book Report and AG

If I choose #2, would BtBR cover all the writing and lit. needed for 7-9th grades?

Pam

Toss-up...
Unless someone throws a loop into this   :tongue_smilie: ...

1.  Writing and Rhetoric, Essentials in Literature, AG

2.  Beyond the Book Report and AG

If I choose #2, would BtBR cover all the writing and lit. needed for 7-9th grades?

Pam

I have to decide this weekend.

I bought W&R at the homeschool convention, which I can send back if I decide to go with #2.  I also have a chance to get EiL used, at a good price, if I go with #1.

:confused1:  :confused1:  :confused1:  :confused1:  :confused1:

Based on my research, but not experience, I didn't think BTBR would have enough composition work. I determined from reading threads that it's more of a gentle intro into literary analysis, without much actual writing. 

You own the Writing and Rhetoric now? I haven't seen their upper levels, but I imagine that would be more solid for composition work. I wish I could help more--I"m trying to decide on Lit and Comp for 8th grade myself--how I've read recently on BTBR. 

• Like 1

Based on my research, but not experience, I didn't think BTBR would have enough composition work. I determined from reading threads that it's more of a gentle intro into literary analysis, without much actual writing. 

You own the Writing and Rhetoric now? I haven't seen their upper levels, but I imagine that would be more solid for composition work. I wish I could help more--I"m trying to decide on Lit and Comp for 8th grade myself--how I've read recently on BTBR. 

I got W&R Level 3.  I talked to the rep. for quite some time, and she thought it would be a good place to start.  for the 7th grader.  He has been weak in writing.  I also got Level 2 for our 4th grader.  I wasn't sure what I wanted for our 8th grader.  I didn't even look at their upper levels.  I wish i would have spent more time there.  

how I've read recently on BTBR. 

I hear you!!!!  :)

Pam

I've actually used Writing and Rhetoric through level 4, when we left the program. I haven't seen the upper levels beyond 4, and they may be great. I might be tempted to pick something else for the 7th grader, and save the level 3 for when the 4th grader gets to it. I wasn't impressed with the "how to" aspect of the narrative instruction, and I think at middle school I'd want to accelerate that aspect to focus more toward other stuff. But my kids did enjoy Writing and Rhetoric, and that's important, particularly with a reluctant writer. I used an IEW theme book, and it got my reluctant one writing without pain. There's more to writing for sure, but It's a jumping off point anyway. 

I'm considering BraveWriter Help for High School for 8th composition fwiw--planning to look it over more closely this week-end. I'm still stuck on literature.