Menu

Bummed. DH work related

ktgrok

So, DH was told to apply for a Senior Security Engineer position at his company (large fortune 400 company). He's currently in security compliance, but has been an engineer before. Anyway, they keep saying he has the job, he has the job, don't worry, they are just waiting for the end of the fiscal year to make the bonus structure easier, etc. Well, he found out that they just got rid of that open position and are going to hire for a regular Security Engineer, not Senior. AND it's the same pay grade he's already at. He'd be doing the exact same level of work as the Senior Engineers, plus still covering compliance stuff until they hire someone, but with no pay increase...so about 25K LESS than the other senior engineers, who have less experience/skills than him. 

he's really upset, needless to say. Not sure what he's going to do, but he's NOT happy. He's reaching out to people in higher up positions around the country for some career advice while he figures out his next move. 

I'm so upset for him. And also, looks like we probably can't afford to move by my sister after all. Bleh. 

I'm sorry. That sucks. Tech of all sorts is crazy unstable right now it seems like. My dh has former CIO's interviewing for him that have been looking for over a year and are trying to get even director level positions. I know here a lot of it is oil and gas being down in price, but it sounds like it's everywhere else too. A lot of companies are slashing the mid-management/entry level executive stuff. Guessing it's stock driven, but I really don't know. 

It will work out, but it sucks in the meantime. Hopefully the right job will come along at the right time.  :grouphug:

He has a right to be angry.  I share his anger/frustration.   :grouphug:   I hope he can find something else rather than get to do the same job for less pay.  Unfortunately, that seems to be the business norm anymore - so the head honchos and shareholders can make more money.  Lord knows one can't live on mere millions anymore.

• Like 1

I cannot "like" post #1 because there is nothing to like. Sorry they are screwing your DH like this.  As always: First, he should always have an updated version of his resume ready to send out. Secondly, he should be on LinkedIn and have as many "connections" there as possible.   GL to him in finding a better place to work!

ETA: Does he have an active DoD "SECRET": clearance?   I am getting lots of emails for temporary contract assignments where that is a requirement. One of them is in Melbourne FL

Edited by Lanny

:grouphug:

A lot of companies are slashing the mid-management/entry level executive stuff. Guessing it's stock driven, but I really don't know.

The hierarchy has started to flatten even when I was in HP in the 90s. It isn't all stock driven but rather the nature of the job. My husband has a dept manager to report to for HR issues but that post has become more of a figurehead role. They have project leads and depending on which projects he is doing at the moment, he gets the approval from the respective project leads. So a manager without a few concurrent projects or a big revenue project is likely to get layoff. Workflow patterns have changed from when my cousins worked at Sony, IBM, Intel in the 80s. It has become more project based and less department based.

A friend in his 40s was layoff from Microsoft a few years ago. Took a few months to get another job through a friend's employee referral. He was layoff again five months ago from another tech company and has just started work at a startup. I'm near Cisco HQ and my neighbors coined the term "Layoff Thursdays" because layoffs tend to be announced internally on Thursdays. There was a layoff last month. We have seen more panhandlers these past few months everywhere. People have come to our car window asking for cash at traffic stops and parking lots.

My neighborhood has plenty working in one of the FAANG (Facebook, Apple, Amazon, Netflix and Google) as well as Intel, Oracle, Cisco.

ETA:

For Cisco

"During 2016, Cisco eliminated 940 jobs, all of them in San Jose.

So far in 2017, Cisco has eliminated 390 jobs in San Jose, including the 250 from the most recent formal state Worker Adjustment and Retraining Notification Act notice." http://www.mercurynews.com/2017/05/30/cisco-eliminates-250-san-jose-jobs-amid-layoffs/

Edited by Arcadia
  • Like 1

I cannot "like" post #1 because there is nothing to like. Sorry they are screwing your DH like this.  As always: First, he should always have an updated version of his resume ready to send out. Secondly, he should be on LinkedIn and have as many "connections" there as possible.   GL to him in finding a better place to work!

ETA: Does he have an active DoD "SECRET": clearance?   I am getting lots of emails for temporary contract assignments where that is a requirement. One of them is in Melbourne FL

Yes, he is very active on linked in and runs the local infosec meet up group, and has cultivated lots of connections and relationships.

Here does not have secret clearance, I'll have him look into that!

• Like 1

Yes, he is very active on linked in and runs the local infosec meet up group, and has cultivated lots of connections and relationships.

Here does not have secret clearance, I'll have him look into that!

I don't know that you can just go get a security clearance. All of the people I know who have them got them through their employer.

• Like 1

He does not have secret clearance, I'll have him look into that!

He needs a sponsoring employer who usually have plenty of DoD jobs. Companies like Haliburton and Lockheed Martin for example.

Link is to the security clearance form on Lockheed Martin's website. http://www.lockheedmartin.com/content/dam/lockheed/data/corporate/clearanceconnection/SF86_Employee_Guide.pdf

Their security clearance webpage with more information http://www.lockheedmartin.com/us/employees/security-clearance.html

• Like 1